1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Nets backing out on Carmelo: "It put us in the game there a little bit"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 20, 2011.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Hmmmm

Id say:

Lebron = Queen
    Cp3 = Rook + 2 pawns
    Howard = Rook + a pawn
    Melo = Rook
    Martin = Bishop + a pawn
    Scola = Knight

Ish = 2 pawns

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well Melo is with the Jordan Brand unlike Amare.

3. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I suspect that the deal fell through with the Nets because Melo didnt commit to signing an extension. Melo's come out publicly saying that his ideal destination is NY, and he recently met with Nets management where I'm guessing the topic of extension was discussed at length.

That's going to be the issue that any team desiring Melo will have to deal with- Clippers, Rockets, Mavs, etc. They may all show interest, but the question is whether or not Melo is open to the possibility of signing an extension with whoever he's traded to and not deadset on going to NY. I think if you're going to give up draft picks and valuable assets, you only do so with the guarantee that he signs an extension for at least 2 more seasons.

Right now, I see Melo running a huge risk if he goes elsewhere after the season and doesnt get traded mid season. He made his desire to go elsewhere public early in the season, and when the Nuggets tried to accomodate that request, he rebuffed the suitors. If the Nuggets fall short this playoffs, he could end up being villified around the league for displaying selfishness and serving as a distraction to the team.

4. Rockets_4_life

rep+!!

5. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I didn't catch that. Do you have a link?

6. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

My mistake, I misinterpreted an article which cited a source as saying that Melo's preferred destination is NY to Melo himself sayin it.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't see why we would want to give up anything of value for an extensionless Melo; it's going to take time for him to learn the system and we aren't that close to having a championship-caliber team this year anyway. Seems like a first round exit--at best--and not worth losing long-term assets for.

Rather go after a center, or maybe Iggy.

8. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

I agree with you, but if we can get Denver to include Birdman and/or Nene then I would be willing to do it...

Iggy IMO is one of the players at the the top of my list:

1. He plays great defense
    2. He is a good distributor
    3. He isn't injury prone
    4. Has a good BBIQ
    5. He is clutch

and most importantly

6. He isn't a drama queen

the only issues with him are his FT% and shooting%, but thats why we have Martin. I actually like him more than Granger because I think his defense, playmaking and Basketball IQ are all better.

9. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I think Melon is bluffing. He won't walk away from that much money.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And Jordan Brand, unlike whatever company Amare is with, is currenly paying him, say, $40 million or so less per 4 years because he's in Denver instead of New York?

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Budinger+Hill+Jeffries+Clippers 2nd rounder for Iguadola would be awesome. While Melo is a better player, Iggy may be a better fit..

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Dude, we have all doubted it at some point. But DM is gonna pull this off, I got that weird feeling that its going to happen!

However, if its just a rental, I would honestly pass on it. It would make us a legit playoff team this year but idk about giving up the farm for one player that'll get us to the second round!

Not to mention, if we give up martin/scola, Ill **** a brick!

Whats the most possible package we would put together for him??

13. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

14. HipHopSince1981

Posted this in Yao Trade thread, meant to post it here.

LINK

The Knicks offered Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields and a first-round draft pick to the Nuggets in exchange for Carmelo Anthony but were turned down, ESPN 1050 Radio reports.

The Knicks are strongly considered to be a destination for Anthony, a free agent to be, now that the Nets have called off talks that also involved the Pistons.

Anthony did not attend Nuggets shootaround Friday but coach George Karl said he expects the All-Star to play against the Rockets.

Wednesday, Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov pulled his team from talks with the Nuggets, saying they had become too expensive. The Nets would have parted with up to eight players and up to three first-round picks if the deal had been completed.

The Knicks said they would not rush into talks after learning of the Nets' withdrawal but team president Donnie Walsh said he would talk to the Nuggets on Thursday.

"I'm not going to comment on what the owner of the Nets said," Walsh told The Post on Wednesday night. "And I don't know what Denver wants to do. I'm sure tomorrow we'll find out."

The first-round pick the Knicks would deal has not been acquired by them yet, the report says. Rumors have them sending Anthony Randolph to the Timberwolves for a first-round pick if need be.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knic...y_turned_TZulwtYJI1WIcLgTm8ywyK#ixzz1BiYZ0QEx

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

When Morey states "it put us in the game there a little bit", don't necessary assume he means in the game to get Melo. It might be in the game to get Favors.

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I would like to get Favors, that would be sweet. Especially if it could be something like Scola+Budinger+2012 first rounder for Favors/Murphy would be pretty close I think. We could even use Murphy this year and he is really not that bad of a player.

I also think that Scola+Budinger+Jeffries+first rounder would be better than the Knicks package.

17. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Broussard just said Rockets are strongily reconsidering going after Melo because he is told people he is going to NY with or without the extension, making up the money lost with endorsements.

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Now if it's one thing I would bet my left nut on, it's that Broussard of all people has no idea in hell what Morey will decide to do.

19. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Where did he make this prediction and why?

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Maybe so but it makes all the sense in the world. The sentiment is that contracts are going to get rolled back anyway and if he is willing to take that risk or sacrifice the extension money period, then there is ZERO point in trading for Melo.