1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Nets backing out on Carmelo: "It put us in the game there a little bit"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

But would Denver want that? Even people in Dallas have started saying that Roddy B is overrated. Don't think Dallas has enough (or at least what the Nuggets would want).

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I call bluff and I think Morey will too. Ok, walk away from $80M into the unknown.

3. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Everything in place for Melo to stay, except not being in NYC and less endorsement money. In general, New Yorkers hate Texas.

4. gah

gah Member

For what ideally they would want? No, but that ideal has walked away with the Nets. I parted from the Nuggets having to settle to do a Melo rental and in that case, I view what Dallas has to offer as good package.

Right now I think he would have overwhelming reasons to stay in Dallas, if Melo walks away from Dallas then I would applaud him in admiration for putting his actions where his mouth is.

5. Houston_Rockets

No they don´t

The "promising stud" is a SG in a PG body, I like Beaubois, but he is a SG, but a 6´0 SG, so in this league, if he want´s to be a stater he will have to be a PG, and guess what, Denver has Lawson.

The BIG expiring is Mr. Butler, that wants to return from injury come playoff time, meaning that for a team like Denver, that might not make the playoffs after Melo is gone, Butler´s contract only value is the fact that it is an expiring, and on that note.

Yao´s expiring >>>>>>>>>>>> Butler´s expiring

And yes, Chandler is going nowhere.

But I also thought that Cuban would make a run for Melo, but why are they going to sign Stojakovic (like they supposedly are going to)??? It doesn´t make sense if they were going after Melo...

Do you really believe this.....???

PeAcE

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Hmm...

2 bishops= Battier and Budinger
    2 rooks= Ish Smith and Patterson
    a couple pawns= a draft pick and Yao Ming contract
    queen= Melo

7. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

I'm sure those sources are directly from NY's front office. Broussard is a mouthpiece for NY and they are using him to try to scare other teams from making a deal for Melo.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Will Melo really make less in endorsements without being in NY? I mean, is Amare Stoudemire just rolling in endorsement $ now compared to what he was in PHX?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

That season-ticket holder? Bill Simmons ;)

Regarding the Mavs, this from ESPNDallas.com:(not that their word/opinion is say all/be all/end all and should be held in the highest regard :p but even they think Houston can probably put together a better package than themselves.)

10. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I highly doubt it. While Melo is good, he is definitely a level below players like LBJ, Wade, Kobe, ect and will not generate the level of endorsements or publicity that they would. He is simply the best available star available right now. Melo might become more well known, but that can be a double edged sword.

11. gah

gah Member

Indeed, Denver have said they are not looking for a point guard and I can see that Dallas best bet is if the Nuggets hold him in high regard, personally I would be intrigued with Ty and Rod starting together, remember he is coming off an injury so he is rusty and inexperienced now. If Denver doesn’t like him that much then Dallas could try to involve another team with a player that does interest the Nuggets, one of two good trade exceptions the Mavs have can aide them with that.
    I never made him out to be anything more than that.

Do you seriously think that signing Peja would lower their eventual interest in Melo? It wouldn’t affect it at all.

12. ABforPresident

Dan Patrick just predicted Melo is going to Houston :)

13. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

(yawn) wake me when something actually happens with Melo.

WORD! Lmao.

14. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

That's wierd, because in general, Texans hate New Yorkers. Funny how that works.

15. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

and when did DM go public and say that we're after a player and grab him successfully...i think a trick is waitin to be executed under his sleeve.

16. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Clips are losers, Melo said he wants to win a ring. You could make PJ coach add Lebron and Dwade and that team would find a way to lose.

17. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Melo should be content with the Rockets, if he gets traded here.

The path to the Finals in the West > as opposed to the East

Kobe ain't getting any younger, Duncan and Co. ain't getting any younger, etc.

Better than dealing with Dwight + the Big 3 in Miami

Also, signing the extension and not paying a state income tax > signing a who knows what kind of extension with the new CBA + making whatever back 'through endorsements'

A bird in the hand......

18. Rockets_4_life

I don't think so, if they add Melo to their starting line-up, I think they can take out any team in the west..

C: DeAndre Jordan
    PF: Blake Griffin
    SF: Carmelo Anthony
    SG: Eric Gordon
    PG: Baron Davis

They would have everything, an athletic front line, go to scores in Anthony, Griffin and Gordon and a defensive presence inside with DeAndre Jordan... Plus they've won 11 of their past 15 games, which included wins over teams like the Lakers, Heat, Bulls and Nuggets...

I don't think anyone would want to face that team in the 1st round..

1 person likes this.
  19. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

getting melo does not guaruntee that we'll be just as good as the lakers or thunder though.

1 person likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Broussard is a Cleveland native who was a beat writer for the Cavaliers and covered Lebron James' since his high school days and his first couple seasons with the Cavs when he got promoted to the New York Times and then ESPN a couple years back.

He then made connections with Leon Rose and Lebron James' marketing firm and still has close ties to everyone at that firm. Which just so happens to represent...ding ding ding... Carmelo Anthony.

Chris Broussard is issuing a threat to the Nuggets through the media from Melo's camp to get a deal worked out with New York. Simple as that.

1 person likes this.