1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Jim Rome - 12:30p CST 7/21

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Become a Jungle Insider!

P.S. - Any Jungle Insiders want to transcribe it? :p

2. txmanincali

txmanincali Member

good lookin out man... Houston Rockets fan representing from Laker nation in Los Angeles. (Damn I hate the Lakers!!) Will be streaming at 10:30 pst...

3. dschwab

dschwab Contributing Member

I don't think its an 'organizational ploy'. You people read into things way too much.

Perhaps Morey simply enjoys the limelight. He's great at what he does, and everyone knows it. Nothing wrong with that.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

:confused: you're kidding , right?

i think its similar to the caravan thing...it's more about getting the rockets brand out there, attracting new fans, more tv audience, jersey sales, etc...Less is gonna need the extra money this year :grin:

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Morey thinks the Rockets might be Adelman's last coaching gig...hmmm...

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Recap:

JR: You had a shot at bosh. When you came out of the meeting , how'd it go?
    DM: It went well. liked meeting him. targeted him and not lebron or wade. bosh was our best shot. We compared it to trading for scola before...we thought they had no chance at him back then
    JR: what did you think he wanted to hear?
    DM: We had the rockets org support. He's focused on winning, so we talked about winning titles and focused the presentation on that with Yao and winning rings.
    JR: does it seem like the big 3 laid the groundwork together before free agency?
    DM: i think they had discussions but were not 100% decided. they were nervous in miami, i think Chicago, Cleveland and Miami all had a chance.
    JR: is it good for the nba?
    DM: i think so. players deserve the right to join up. gives the league interest. should be a good team.
    JR: Scola- was there any chance of him going elsewhere?
    DM: NJ really wanted him and still does. they struck out on big names and turned to him. we had to make sure we got him signed quickly before teams started restructuring and adjusting their figures.
    JR: Lowry- cleveland wanted him. did you overpay?
    DM: We were happy. kyle wanted to be a starter and we agree with him. we have a lot of depth here. Cleveland and Indiana were focused on him. We pride our competitors like him, Shane, Chuck, etc.
    JR: Yao's status?
    DM: Good, back in china. Will definitely be ready for camp. He's the big dog we need to compete in west.
    JR: What kind of impact from Yao?
    DM: Limited minutes early, as he progresses we'll see how it goes. best season was 2 years ago when we played the Lakers.
    JR: Lakers still team to beat or Miami?
    DM: Lakers prob still team to beat. Length is hard to contend with. Miami's wings are as good as you can have.
    JR: Brad Miller - how much does he have left, why so important to sign him?
    DM: Looking for quality depth. Adelman knows him well. Our season comes down to defense, getting continuity. Gotta get back into top 10 defense.
    JR: Dynamic between GM and HC. Do you just get that guy the players, or is there dialogue?
    DM: depends on the GM and coach. I've got a great rapport with RA. Humble to work with RA- hall of famer, top 10 in wins soon. he came here to win a title. prob his last coaching stop.
    JR: Team USA, Knicks don't want Amare to play. Where do you stand on your guys participating?
    DM: team by team perspective. With yao, it was discussed before he came to NBA. Our feelings are immaterial due to that. Scola would be like cutting off his oxygen to keep him from playing for Argentina. We support our guys, respect NYK decision on Amare.
    JR: Depth on your team, Patrick Patterson- how much of a challenge for him to get into rotation.
    DM: Very tough for him and our young guys (JH, CB, JT) to get minutes. We might be the deepest team in the league. Adleman goes with what wins. IE Von Wafer played over Brent Barry. Might upset vets and sometimes young guys have to wait.
    JR: Your stat approach. Do you find resistance to a different way of doing things?
    DM: Basketball not so much, more in baseball. Coaches know guys like Battier are valuable. Methods for basketball show this. If coaches believe your analysis they will agree with it.
    JR: How did you get into baseball yet end up in basketball?
    DM: Started at stats,inc. Sweeping floor, answering phones, etc. Tried to get a job in sports. Couldn't get one for about 10 years.
    JR: What kept you going?
    DM: I shifted to figuring out how to make money. Applied to google. Wanted to buy a team, quickly moved past that thought. Fortunately got my chance. Appreciate Les Alexander and the Rockets for the shot.

#27 DieHard Rocket, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    14 people like this.
  8. Raven

Raven Member

And I'm not entirely sure how it's good for the Rockets or even good for Morey. Every time you deal with the media you run a tiny risk of stirring the hornet's nest. Unless there's a specific reason, a strategic reason, for him doing so many interviews, I hope Les tells Morey to reduce his public profile.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Eh, I would say that rings true for guys who fly off the reservation easily, but Morey has always held things very close to the vest. He knows that his biggest advantage over other GMs is his application of statistics that other people have never thought of applying to basketball, and if he lets too much of his information out of the bag, he's lowering his OWN value to the team. I trust Morey in the spotlight, because he only serves to raise the stock of his own assets.

10. Eddie281Houston

were so lucky to have a gm like daryl morey... :grin: shyt atleast he didnt cut grass like me in the sun! :mad:

11. htownrocketman

THIS!!! X 10!!!!

12. H-TOWNSFINEST

H-TOWNSFINEST Member

Thanks for the recap. Daryl Morey is the *****.

13. choujie

choujie Member

Thanks!

14. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Have to agree with you on this...

No matter Suave you may be, the media has a way of turning things around for their own behalf.

15. Jimes

Jimes Member

Yes, appreciate the writeup DieHard Rocket!

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

He said he could find a job for 10yrs...how the heck did he have money to suggest buying a team?

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

It took him 10 years to get into sports. Are you implying he was running numbers for the mob? :grin:

18. wtfamonkey

wtfamonkey Member

<div id='F65B060216B4'></div><script src='http://player.play.it/PodcastPlayer/Embed.js' type='text/javascript'></script><script type='text/javascript'>player.render('fileUrl=http://cbskiltam.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/daryl-morey-on-rome_092110.mp3&name=On The Jim Rome Show&artist=Daryl Morey&stationID=63&configFile=config.xml&buttonColor=0xd20000&buttonOverColor=0xa80000&backgroundColor=0xFFFFFF&guid=F65B060216B4');</script>

19. TheDreams

TheDreams Member

20. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

He said he was just trying to find a high-paying job (like google) so that he could build up enough money to buy a team...that would be his way of getting into sports. But he quickly saw that wasn't going to happen.