1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on Golden State: We feel like we have closed the gap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 6, 2017.

?

Have we closed the gap on Golden State?

Poll closed Jul 27, 2017.
  1. Yes, we are at least their equals!

1.0%
  2. Yes, we can challenge them in a playoff series

19.7%
  3. Yes, gap is smaller but we'll still get wrecked

55.2%
  4. No, we aren't even close

19.4%
  5. I abstain, courteously

4.8%
  1. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Clutchfans, stop hating.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

There needs to be an option in between challenging them and getting wrecked.

As we are right now, I could see us taking 1-2 games in a series....that's Cleveland's level.

We need 2 things to truly compete:

1) a third star that can create his own shot....Melo

2) a bench that can beat their bench - Gordon, Tucker and Nene is a very good start. I feel like we need one more high quality guard given how much we like to play small.

4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

it's a good team, and i think that Paul and Tucker make us better than last year. But i do not think we are beating the warriors with this team. Someone will go down, it's not deep, we need to add another guard, and we have a bit of a hole at the 4-spot. But it clearly is a top 4 team in the West, and if this is what we go into the season with, i'll look forward to a better outcome in next years playoffs. Won't hold my breath for a championship though; we're still a ways away from GS stature.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All I know is when Morey makes some seemingly outlandish statement over the summer it ends up coming true down the line.

I remember when most of us thought we were going to be garbage last year; Morey said we were going to be good, it happened.

I remember a few years ago when Rockets missed out on Bosh, Lowry, a few other free agent targets, and Chandler bolted to Dallas, Morey said Rockets were still a very good team and would be competitive. Clutchfans lost their **** and crucified Morey. Rockets went on to the conference finals.

If Morey says the Rockets closed to gap, I believe him. I mean, it's a large gap, but Rockets have gotten closer.

You guys need to get a grip.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sounds like someone is FINALLY over the way it ended & is no longer mad at James. ;)

Welcome back!

7. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

They have closed the gap. It just happens to still be very large!

c1utchfan925 likes this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

the mariana trench is still deep.

Pete the Cheat likes this.
  9. RocketDream

RocketDream Member

I guess I'm slightly more optimistic than the CF consensus in one way and a lot less optimistic in another way. I think Houston has meaningfully reduced the gap between themselves and the Warriors, even if the gap is still significant. If MDA can creatively scheme to maximize both Paul's and Harden's skillsets at the same time, they're a potential 60 win team.

I'm a lot less optimistic about how getting Melo would affect said gap. Most people here seem to think he'd provide a third star and bring the Rockets to parity with Golden State or something. I don't think he's a star at all anymore and he'd make a marginal difference to the team's chance of beating Golden State in a series. Yes, I'm sure he could summon "Olympic Melo" in terms of playstyle--but he can't suddenly become a better, younger player. He's declined permanently, IMO.

ghettocheeze, Jontro and justtxyank like this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The Martin Skhreli of GM's.
    Just go ahead and up the ticket prices again for 5th time in the last 3 years.

11. Junebball

Junebball Member

Very funny. Some comments in this thread are eerily similar to comments left right after MDA.

Doubt Morey at your own peril.

ghettocheeze, BigMaloe and DreamShook like this.
  12. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I think many of you are missing the point. Morey is smart enough to know what he's saying is not the truth. This is clearly a public relations campaign.

Haven't you noticed recently, Rockets are finally getting media attention after landing Chris Paul. Morey even provided the sound bite of the summer, "This is an arms race; either you're in the race or on the sidelines."

This has gotten us a lot of notoriety in the media with the likes of Micheal Smith on SC6, SA Smith, Cowherd.

The point is Morey is shaping the narrative that Houston has closed the gap with Golden State so that Rockets are the first choice for stars like Melo, etc going forward.

BigMaloe, Jontro, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Oh boo hoo. Ticket prices are up. Big freaking deal.

You're spoiled because at least you live in the city of your favorite team (or at least close enough to care about ticket prices).

Also, we've closed the gap, but it doesn't mean Golden State isn't still ahead. Instead of it being miles and miles ahead, it's feet. I will take that.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I have always trusted Morey. I trust James Harden in the regular season (he's a beast). Game 5 and Game 6 give me 0% confidence in playoff James Harden.

I'll never forget James Harden in that 4th quarter (and OT) of Game 5... I fully expected Harden to take the Rockets to the conference finals and he fell flat on his face. I was so disappointed. I'm still disappointed. Harden's regular season doesn't matter to me now; I know he will do well. Harden needs to perform in the playoffs for me to be back.

15. Junebball

Junebball Member

Fixed

16. goldoil

goldoil Member

With our current team, we would win 1 game at the most or get swept.

17. MystikArkitect

Whatever, give me a wheeling and dealing GM that isn't afraid of the Golden Shower Boys vs a self doubting GM afraid to make a deal.

We narrowed the gap. How much? I don't know, Dantoni has never had two dudes this talented before at the position he knows best.

Rain of 3s vs Lobbapalooza coming at you next year. Should be fun.

Cash Cam and BigMaloe like this.
  18. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Good to have you back in the fold. We all were hesitant to hope/trust after game 6 but I think most of us are in "excited for next season mode"

Will we beat GSW? Probably not, i wouldnt bet $ on us but im excited to try and think we have the best chance in the west.

We have two historically great players at their position

No Chill Rocket likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm not back! I still have 0% confidence in playoff James Harden.

Os Trigonum, Jontro and justtxyank like this.
  20. dmoneybangbang

Good thing your opinion on the matter means nothing.