1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790: Rockets willing to take on salary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 4, 2010.

1. pbnfamilia

pbnfamilia Member

that sucks maybe yao would take it ? lol not likely but out of all the nba stars right know i can see him doing it i mean alot of them talk that money isnt everything but in yao i could see him doing that lol but not likely

2. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Hey Bima, do you think that the Rockets would take on Hedo or Calderon's contract?

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, I don't.

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

No, you can't.

The current CBA rules your own free agents also take up your team cap unless you don't sign them. it's called "free agent amount". how much do they count? it depends. in yao's case, it is the max.

if you are interested, here is the link - http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Thanks for the heads up.

My gosh, I was just looking up Hedo and Calderon's salaries on Hoopshype! :eek: :eek:

Those contracts aren't just albatross, they are natrocious! That would put us in luxury tax hell for the next 3-4 years!

Toronto must be on crack if they think a team will take on Hedo's contract!

6. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

A few posts raised the question as to whether Bosh will be a FA this year.

What I meant was, there is no S&T without Bosh going along with it. I.e., it isn't happening until he signs, which he will do AFTER the deal is agreed to by all sides. He would not be signing any contract with the Raptors unless the Trade part is already ready to go.

I don't know off-hand which states have state income tax, outside of NY, NJ, IL, and NM. But, that is a big advantage that the no-income tax states have over states like NY and IL, which has a 3% income tax. Like I was saying, if the difference between 8% and 10.5% is a big deal, that 3% difference is certainly so.

7. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

I surely don't agree. I like that he gets us into the bonus quick. When Yao is back this will be even more essential. His shot is not the prettiest but he can shot lights out on some nights. Everyone will be eating their crow on Martin once we have a big in the middle to draw attention and pass out to Martin or Brooks.

8. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

I say I should take that bet. It's a win-win situation for me no matter what. If Bosh come to Houston, I am happy. If Bosh doesn't come to Houston, at least I win some cash. :grin:

9. parmesh

parmesh Member

If I ever see the words "Scola" and "expendable" in the same sentence again, I'll shank someone.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Heres my opinion on this scenario, based on what we have heard through the media.

Assuming Bosh chooses Houston....

Toronto will get something back for Bosh but it won't be much. The people who think Brooks, Yao or Martin will be included are nuts.

Chris Bosh's starting maximum starting salary for 2010-2011 is 17.15 million dollars. Thus the Rockets would have to send back greater than roughly 13.65 million dollars to satisfy the 125% + 100k rule. (13.65m x 125% + 100k = 17.16m)

So Toronto has to agree to absorb 13.65m in contracts that they otherwise wouldn't if they let Bosh walk. It would be Morey's job to send over enough "assets" to make that extra money worth paying to Toronto.

In my humble opinion, you have to start with Battier (7.2m). He is a valuable player, he is expiring, and his salary doesnt have to be sweetened with assets to make it worthwhile to take on. We know Toronto inquired about him earlier in the year so we know they have atleast some interest. If not, he can easily be moved again by the Raptors for another rebuilding piece.

Hopefully Toronto still has interest in Ariza (6.3m). They offered him a contract last offseason, but after a disasterous season for the Rockets, its unclear whether the interest is still there. On a side note, props to Morey if he signed Ariza for this very purpose because he knew Toronto wanted him.

Richard Justice reported the "assets" the Raptors were intrigued by were Jordan Hill (2.67m) and the rights to Sergio Llull. Those two in themselves + Battier is 9.87m in salary. Thats not enough to get the trade done so another 3.78m will have to be included. They could go any number of ways here. Andersen (2.5m), Hayes (2.3m) and Jeffries (6.88m) all have expiring deals. Now I would be greedy here if I were Morey because frankly having say Battier + Hill + Llull + Hayes + Andersen is better than letting Bosh walk for nothing. Its some extra salary for a year, but after next year Toronto has 2 decent prospects in Hill and Llull plus anything they moved Battier for at the deadline, while having no long term money commitments from the trade. If its not enough, you keep adding draft picks until it is. At maximum, no more than one should have to be added to make the deal worth it for Toronto. I personally believe Morey is savy enough to not have to add any at all unless he is sending Jeffries or Ariza instead of Battier. If there is one thing we learned at the deadline, its Morey is greedy and really comes out better than we all ever expect. :cool:

Brooks (2.01) / Lowry (3.5*)
    Martin (10.6) / Taylor (.78)
    Ariza (6.32) / Budinger (.78)
    Bosh (17.15) / Scola (7.5*)
    Yao (17.68) / draft pick (1.5)

Assuming we still draft at 14, Lowry is matched at 3.5m, and Scola is matched for 7.5m, then our total bill is 67.82 which is about 2 million in tax payments. We could still spend the MLE on a Ray Allen, Korver, Childress, Miller, and be in a terrific position going forward.

If however, we agree to offer cap relief in lieu of sending assets, we have to send more. I firmly believe we take back Calderons deal over Hedo for two reasons. One reason is that his deal is not as bad as Hedos (1 year less, ~1m less/yr). The second reason is that Bosh is rumored to not like Hedo, so I would guess he would object to being sent here with him.

With Bosh's 17.15m salary and Calderons 9m salary (26.15 total), the Rockets would need to send out 20.85m in salary (20.85 x 125% + 100k = 26.15m). Battier + Ariza + Jeffries is almost enough at 20.63, but a minor player would have to included to make the salaries match, perhaps Alexander Johnson. I can't really envision us taking on Calderon unless they agreed to buyout Battier and he returns for vet minimum. Without a buyout that literally leaves us with zero small forwards, except Bud.

Brooks (2.01) / Calderon (9)
    Martin (10.6) / Lowry (3.5*) / Taylor (.78)
    Battier (1) / Budinger (.78)
    Bosh (17.15) / Scola (7.5*)
    Yao (17.69) / Hill (2.67) / Draft Pick (1.5)

Assuming Battier is bought out and resigned for 1m, we still draft at 14, Lowry is matched at 3.5m, and Scola is matched for 7.5m, then our total bill is 72.68 which is about 12 million in tax payments. I dont think we could afford the MLE with this scenario.

The beauty of this route is that we still have a ton of assets to make another big move. Either way, it is going to be one crazy summer!

2 people like this.
  11. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

I think that with any trade the Rockets will make they will not include both Battier and Ariza which would be disastrous for our wing defence.
    However I feel that the Rockets assets have a major weakness in that they lack the salary to match up to the marquee sign and trade players
    and we really lack large contract assets other than Battier and Jeffries.
    But does anyone think we could use our MLE to facilitate with the trade say sign a player that they want for the MLE and trading to them along with
    other contracts. That way they can use their own MLE to sign another player and also pocess another MLE player.

12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Well Bosh has already said to the Raps GM that he's willing to work with him to get whats best for both parties. I might be wrong, but I think that he'll help the Raps out, he seems to be that type of guy.

You are right though, it is in BOsh's control to a certain extent.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Good analysis, larsv8. One correction, though, about Bosh's expected salary for 2010-11:

His salary will almost assuredly be $16.57M.

I imagine that you are getting the $17.15M figure from his current player option salary amount for 2010-11. While that is what Bosh would make next year IF he exercised his player option and stayed with Toronto, that is NOT what he could make as a free agent. Remember, while the 10.5% annual raises apply throughout a player's contract, once that player becomes a free agent, those raises don't carry over to the next contract.

The maximum salary for a seven-year veteran (like Lebron, Wade and Bosh) is the GREATER of (a) $11M or (b) 30% of the salary cap. But before you say, "Hey, the cap's supposed to be $56.1M, so 30% of that is $16.83M, which is more than your figure!", the league uses a slightly different cap calculation to determine max salaries, using 48.04% of BRI to arrive at the final figures, instead of the 51% of BRI used to calculate the cap generally. Therefore, after accounting for this decrease, you get a figure that is actually LESS than my figure above.

So, how did I arrive at a $16.57M salary figure?

Under the current CBA, a max player can still receive a new starting salary of 105% of his prior year's salary. This is a guaranteed "minimum max" for guys like Bosh. Since Bosh made $15.78M this past season, 105% of that amount is . . . $16.57M.

For those wondering what the maximum salary for Chris Bosh is going to be for next season (either for purposes of teams signing him in free agency or from a salary matching standpoint for trade purposes), I hope this information is helpful. (Of course, you can use these same figures for Lebron and Wade, as well).

14. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

Thinking about all this I think that the important thing here, is that Morey is a genius. Normally when teams trade they have to both consider that they are getting at least fair value. IMO there are two ways to go from a decent team to a great team (e.g. Boston going from Pierce to Pierce, Allen and KG). That first is by signing great player via the draft (e.g. Michael Jordan, Lebron James, etc.). The other is by getting free agents via a sign and trade. Players get old and have expensive contracts (some of which aren't worth it) and exchanging them for a top tier player is a major factor in improving a team (landry for martin may be "iffy" but acquiring Bosh for Jeffries, Battier and Hill would be massive).

Other great players have mediocre teams and want to play for a better team. Morey is able to draft talented players even in the second round, this attracts the free agents to play here. Plus we don't have any hideous contracts on our books (except maybe Jeffries but he's expiring). We also have NY's draft picks for 2011 and 2012 which leaves NY with less power to try a sign and trade. Thus if Bosh or anyone else wanting to get the max possible contract less likely to go to New York (although I would say it was still in NY's best interest to shed salary on the chance of signing free agents outright, because what else could they do?).

Basically I think there is no way that Toronto is more enticed by other offers than what Houston can put on the table (expirings and first round pick(s) that aren't even our own). This puts us in great positioning when dealing with Toronto (we are not in the same conference or division as some of the other teams going after Bosh plus we have to send back at least expirings which are arguably better than just a TPE). The main goal is getting Bosh to want to come here, this is where I think Morey is also playing it very well, Bosh has stated that he feels like he should be the "main" guy and if other teams are busy chasing Wade or Lebron (which I think is very debatable whether or not they stay) that reflects negatively when Bosh is looking for a team to join. Bosh for the most part has conveyed his desire to leave, therefore ignoring the very low chance of getting a bigger free agent for the chance to convince someone who is "on the fence" is the smartest decision to make.

I do not think that our problem in getting a deal through relies with Toronto at all, Bosh is the one that will need to be swayed then a BARGAIN can be had with Toronto. I think our biggest competition lies with the Lakers (and as I live in L.A. there is no way I want Bosh to play with Kobe) however as they have gasol and kobe already Bosh may be third fiddle (and is L.A. really going to go even further into the luxury tax having just signed Kobe to his huge contract).

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Don't forget, for those talking about him losing out on $30 million....

In Toronto he has over a 40% tax rate.

He could make less in Houston and still make more overall.

DD

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure there is a period after signing a free agent that you cannot trade him. The Bosh sweepstakes will have come and gone before we're able to trade anyone that we sign with the MLE.

17. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

then he can pick mavs. it is even better coz his hometown. cuban won't mind to trade anyone but dirk so they have assets to do it.

frankly speaking, yep, we don't have income tax but how many times did superstar pick houston instead others? we've been seeing superstars moving around but not all of them eventually came here.

i think three things are considered by those mega stars when they move. 1st $$$, 2nd winning, 3rd the role.

$$$ is same to everyone pretty much.

wiinning is not a thing everyone has. mavs might just miss one piece to be a title contender. same as heats. thunders and bulls are rising. if everything goes well, these two teams could go deep in playoff. what do rox have? rox w/o yao is a lottery team. bosh will think by adding him into the pic the best case is a 1st round exit playoff team. of coz, adding yao makes huge difference. however, bosh just like everyone here won't have any confidence on yao's health. he will wonder how long yao can play. Can he play ever? Will he get injury again? when you have so many ??? marks, you are not going to gamble.

the role is no issue to him no matter where he goes.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Wow, 40%!!! I hope that's just because of his tax bracket and not the standard.

19. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Jesus effing christ, have you listened to Bosh's interviews. He has explicitly said he doesn't want to go to his hometown, as there's baggage there. And that's not even getting to the fact that Dirk and Bosh are very similar players. How will they fit? Will one of them play center (lol)? Will one of them play SF (lol)? Will one of them be benched (rofl)? Bosh would be an awful fit on the Mavs.

Yes it is. He goes to OKC, he's second to Durant. He goes to LA, he's behind Kobe and Gasol, he goes to Miami, he's behind Wade. Bosh has pretty much said he doesn't want to be behind anyone on his team.

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

By the same token, wouldn't the U.S. tax rate be considered $35%?