1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 790 - 2/21/12

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DieHard Rocket, Feb 21, 2012.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Naturally any big trade at the deadline all hinges on what other teams want to do, but if Morey makes a move to set up the future, I wouldn't be stunned if he goes for Bosh again (in the summer).

Of course, that would entail somehow finding a taker for Scola and/or Martin for some expirings and picks; but the new CBA is really gonna kick teams in the teeth, and Bosh only gets to shine when LeBron or Wade is out.

2. cod

cod Member

I have a feeling it's Bogut, if he's not out for the season. His game just fits with the current Rockets. More importantly the Rockets have the desired assets the Bucks want.

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Rudy Gay is not a star-level player. He never has been, and he never will be. He is too inefficient.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

And what kind of deal matches up?

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Well, going with his idea of Bogut (and who knows when he'll be healthy and how good he'll remain?), you could probably make any sort of matchup with salaries; ah, yes, but you mean, Something that makes sense for both teams?

Especially when Milwaukee already has Drew Gooden for three more years (kills the idea of flushing Luis Scola's contract on them) and already has Stephen Jackson (pain in the culo that he's been for them, they won't want Kevin Martin unless we take SJax, which I don't see).

Me, I mentioned Bosh in the chance that Miami trades away a player who amounts to a luxury now, and a new CBA killer for the team in the future.

Unless we do somehow go after Gasol again. Gasol gives versatility at the 5/4, Bosh is more of an All Star but strictly more of a straight-up 4.

Anyway, Morey does have a case with Les: no one's buying tickets anyway, let me tear it down so I can build it up again quick. (Barring the sudden availability of Carmelo or someone like that, no real team upgrade but someone who'll get the team on TV and will sell tickets, which is pretty big for owners.)

6. Raven

Raven Member

Moreyball sucks. If the Rockets were rebuilding the proper way, they wouldn't be hording contracts, and Lin might still be a Rocket. Hey Les, you paying attention?

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'll give you my headaches for your uh, assets ... hmmm.

BTW - - I love this team but want a less lovable more challenging squad, one that could put fear into any team's beer. Tear it down? Get the stud?

As for Melo, he equals: attracting attention to the franchise and other A-list names (if not games). That's two missing links for Rox'12.

8. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

Why would you want another injury-prone center after the Yao disaster?

I am an Aussie and i'll always like Andrew Bogut because of that, but the guy is never healthy.

i'd rather try and rent dwight and then tank when he decides he won't stay

9. cod

cod Member

They're freak accidents rather than Oden type injuries. Keven Martin was injury prone until he came to Houston. The Rockets gave the same reasoning when asked about Martin's injury history.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I couldn't find any podcast segments related to Morey either

11. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

agreed, but they are also very bad injuries, Bogut struggled all last season with the elbow after coming back and had to have a lot of work done to it.

this most recent injury is a big one too.

i like his game but i just don't see the need to do it unless we give up very little

12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Wateva trade or trades morey does I noe itz all about looking at the big picture like he's always talking about in morey we trust

13. aeolus13

aeolus13 Contributing Member

Now hold on. I'm as much of a Morey-ite as anyone on the board, but this move was clearly a mistake. You're correct that Battier was a better fit for the team, and that Gay wouldn't have been ready in time. The reason it was a mistake is that we over-payed, big-time. An unathletic small forward making about 7 million a year with unimpressive traditional stats can be had for a lot less than an 8th pick. To make a run in the next few years, we should have traded Gay, but we should have gotten a lot more back for him.

14. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Morey is doing a great job, way better then before.

Did you forget how bad CD was, did you forget Matt Maloney, did you forget kelvin Cato?

Although we don't have a superstar yet I think Morey is setting us up nice. Don't forget we just lost two superstars to injury and it takes a little time to bounce back from that. Even though we don't have a superstar yet we have alot of quality players, one of the deepest teams in the league.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

That's a different argument. I don't know what other offers were out there for the 8th pick, but I do know that both Gay and the Rockets would've suffered from trying to develop him alongside T-Mac/Yao.

16. psingh34

psingh34 Member

this has got to be the biggest misconception in houston. Rudy Gay was drafted and traded two months after morey was hired as the ASSISTANT GM .. the GM that pulled that trigger along with the head coach that probably demanded it are no longer with the team. Stop blaming the current management for that decision.

And for the record, I still think that trade was a good trade. We were making a title run at the time and had no idea that in just a few years yao and tmac will never play together in playoffs again. When you trade a rookie for a veteran, that always makes the team that gets the veteran look bad in the long run, but when yao and tmac were healthy .

Finally, I dont know why rudy gay is so beloved in houston, the guys puts up basically the same offensive numbers as kevin martin, sure he probably plays better defense but really as someone pointed out earlier how much have the grizz benefited from having him? ironically they made their best push with him hurt go figure

17. GMNot

GMNot Member

Don't know how much you paraphrased what Morey said, but the bolded statement above is germane to musings about T-Will. And there is another thread for that discussion. I just wanted to note the comment.) That statement, at least on the face of it, lists T-Will's as one "with high potential."

18. Nook

Nook Member

Agreed, like every other GM in professional sports.

19. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO "star level" huh? Your basketball opinions are as bad as your political opinions.