1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey on 610 now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think morey was just doing damage control...you can't have someone like Fran throwing stuff like that out there...fans will run with the misinformation. There's was so much misinformation that I can see why Morey sounded the way he did, definitely was upset, but was trying to hide it. I dont think i've heard heard him speak that quickly....

That being said, i think he was on such a "that's not true" roll that he threw out there the part of not using those words without thinking...he'll probably correct himself later.

I think all players, especially those that have been here more than a year or two, know that they are "assets". I think what rubbed them the wrong way was how often they were hearing about it and they felt as if Morey was who put that idea out there originally and got it all started (probably was)...

3. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Like many others, I'm sorry that Adelman is leaving. While there are a few things here and there you could complain about with respect to Adelman's coaching (e.g., too much loyalty to Aaron Brooks, etc.), the fact is that he did a great job with the players he had and won a ton of games with a really good basketball system (one I hope we can keep, now that the players have learned it). However, given all we've heard it probably does make sense for the parties to part ways. In the end, the irreconciliable differences between the two side boiled down to the following:

Morey: Rick, you did a fantastic coaching job coaching this team. Let's see if it makes sense for us to continue our relationship?

Adelman: I would be willing to stay and coach these guys (even though they're not contenders), but I need some assurances that you won't keep trading away players I like. Oh by the way, it'd be really nice if you gave me a heads up about the trades too.

Morey: Rick, you need to understand that we're going to constantly change players because we don't have a championship team with this group and we need to improve. We can't give you stability until we have a core that can contend. Oh by the way, it be really nice if you sometimes played the players we traded for and considered using our extremely costly mountains of statistical data we bust our butts to get to you.

Adelman: Ok, I don't think it will work.

Morey: Agree.

4. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

This was the first time I've heard Morey sound this defensive.

The Ricky Rubio thing I found interesting. Because he could be available if T-Wolves get the #1 pick and draft the projected #1 pick PG Kyrie Irving.

I would be willing to trade for Ricky Rubio, if Morey was willing to trade a chunk of the roster for the kid.

5. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

sounds like 10 seconds conversion. if i am not wrong, they spent about 4 days to figure out the difference. can you caption all dicussion btw them? ;)

6. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what's matter with my typing. caption should be capture.:eek:

7. inishi

inishi Member

That's how I see it, and my first thoughts when I saw the news. As smart as Morey is, I do t see him forcing out a coach that wanted to be here, especially after reading that Alexander had to be talked out of firing Rick months ago. I think his rests firmly on the owner, and was a dumb decision.

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I loved Morey's responses. Yeah, he screwed up with the never said a "lot of assets" line, but there are times I've forgotten stuff I've said in the past, so it was probably a simple mistake on his part. Heck, my old sig where I called the Rockets, the Houston Assets came from reading his "lot of assets" quote in the past. I loved how he ripped into Fran, though. I hated that jackass when he worked with the Chronicle and was happy when he got the boot.

What intrigues me most, unless it's simply a coverup, is his comments about what they're looking for in coaching, players, and as an organization. Simple winning and losing isn't enough. Unless this is a coverup for a disagreement among 2 or all of Morey, Adelman, and Alexander, I'm still left wondering what exactly Adelman didn't do that they would require of any other coach moving forward. A good guess others have made is the instability in the roster in the short-term future until they get what they want.

A good interview.

9. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I am listening to his presser (finally) and examining the "assets" comment....

the question he was asked is "when will the assets turn into basketball players"... rather than assets you have

That's where he responded saying we don't call them assets they are people...

So when I look back at those quotes that people pulled up... those assets he was talking about were trade chips... meaning draft picks etc. Rather than just people.

I could be wrong, but that's my initial interpretation. I'm going to listen to the sportsradio interview next. :)

10. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

If I were Morey, I would be pissed off at being forced to tank instead of being able to 'reload'.

I'd be really pissed at the situation; I'd be pissed I couldn't get teams to talk more significant trades with me; I'd be somewhat annoyed with Les; and I'd be particularly angry at the media for spinning this event as a pure firing due to performance vs what it actually is (Adelman's career and the Rockets roster are out of sync).

This would definitely show a defensive tone, and fortunately Fran Blinebury gave him an excuse to vent a little.

Having said that, Morey doesn't deserve to be under fire from others, at the moment. He delayed the Rockets having to tank, trying his best to reload us until this trade deadline when we finally had to pick our direction. There is no other choice. When the trading can begin again, I think he might even try to 'do right by' Kevin Martin, Miller and Scola, and trade them (if they want to leave). [imagine Kevin in Chicago]

#110 srrm, Apr 20, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  11. Hayesfan

Okay, I'm still listening to this presser... who's the dude who said "this team hasn't gotten out of the first round in how long?"

He was trying to get Morey's goat the whole time.

Edit: Glad to hear that he won't have us be a "bad team" - No tanking makes me happy.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Barry Warner probably

13. Hayesfan

thanks...

I wanted to look up the # of players we've had on the roster the last two years.

There were 20 different players on the roster this year... and 9 players that weren't on this years team on last year.

so... Fran was off one

BUT of those 29 players... only about 18 of them got many minutes.

And the Celtics had 32 different players ;)

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Yeah like there's ever been a GM who openly promoted tanking. If he wanted and was going to tank the season, he'll never actually say it to the public.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Some insiders have been taking about this off and on for quite some time. If DM can't turn the team around in a year or two,Les will probably look for another GM IMO. Maybe even sooner.

16. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

What he does with Martin and/or Scola will tell us how serious he is about tanking.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This feels on the money to me. Morey worked hard to get players who fit Adelman's system, and just when it's clicking beautifully, with "only" a tall, athletic defensive 5 and possibly a strong player at the 3 spot needed to have an impact team, IMO, and you let the coach go? Does not compute, at least to me.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think the issue is over whether the front office will keep on making the Battier for Thabeet and pick type trades. Morey's contention is that you need to do it to take bets on the future instead of keeping him for the sake of stability on a not-quite-contending team and risk losing him as an FA, Adelman doesn't want his roster subject to that kind of change (and can probably find a situation where the front office won't make such changes or won't need to make such changes).

So, they parted ways. I wish they could work it out, but see how they didn't.

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm having doubts as well. Les may not want to pay him. That would be terrible.

20. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I thought it was all over and literally cried when I found out Battier was traded, but to witness the improvements and what else can be done with this squad and believe that Battier was all that would be denial. Batman had to go.