1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Morey on 610 now

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TXRoxBBall, Apr 20, 2011.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I could swear he used the term assets before too.

But perhaps he just used the word assets and didn't refer to players but was referring to draft picks, free agency salary money, etc.???

Sounds like politician spin to me.

2. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Im sure we can check the last press conference and he used assets... or an interview around the Melo drama time

Its exactly a politician spin..

3. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Morey's shifting like a shady car salesman

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Am I crazy or is Morey lying through his teeth when he says he never said they were assets?

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Until you guys provide some evidence, Morey has never used the term "assets" when talking about our players. :grin:

What...

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

He's said assets several times, but he never made it clear he was referring to players.

So yeah, he's using a technicality.

7. s.b713

s.b713 Member

Fans are going to see two major All-Star-level players (Carmelo Anthony and Deron Williams) change teams, and I think if I was a fan I would want to see that (for the Rockets), too," Morey said. "We're going to continue to work toward those moves or have our players develop into All-Stars.

"That is the goal."

Morey says the trades of fan favorites Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks gave the Rockets more assets that could pay off in the future. The future certainly isn't now, and Morey has no idea when that more positive future will get here."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/7445346.html

Well maybe he was just reffering to draft picks and not players, but by saying "more" meaning that he treats current players as assets :confused:

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Mr. Morey.........

N-O-T-H-I-N-G gets by Clutchfans!

9. Raven

Raven Member

The problem is that feuding with the media is never a smart move in professional sports.

Daryl just needs to zip it and quietly do his job.

10. anchel

anchel Member

I see Hayes' future as a Rocket as questionable.

11. clutz

clutz Member

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/20/morey-fires-back-at-misconceptions/

Daryl Morey in studio:

Crazy couple days, how are you?

Happy to be here. Thanks for having me on.

Top of the PC yesterday, you said we need change. Why now at the HC position?

We're not happy with where we're at. Normally when a coaching change, people look at it and say coach did a bad job, change, or coach did good job, keep. We dont look at it that way. We look at what is the right fit going forward. We'll continue to try improve this roster. We're not there right now. That means continue changed. We need coaching staff for that/that fits that.

Fran came on yesterday.

Launched scud missiles? I say that because they're ineffective.

First item was...the idea floated Rick may not want to coach this team. Rick comes back and says I didnt say that. Thoughts on that first?

Coach Adelman and I talked the last few days.There were certain situations we thought it could work here. Not the case.

Relationship with Adelman?

That's for Rick to judge. For me, very good. Enjoyed working with him. Glad to have steady hand like him when I was a rookie. I only have positve things to say.

Fran made some valid points. Fran mentioned turnover of the roster: 30 players in last 2 season.

Numbers without context. Typical inflamatory statement. A guy with an agenda. We're looking for improvement so there will be change. Guess how much the Celtics roster had turnover the last two seasons?

30 different players. Fran is just pulling a number out to look inflamatory.

A lot of people were....questioning the stability aspect. Questioning was with this much turnover, how can you expect a coach to succeed?

Again, we're dealing with perception of he did a bad job. Has nothing to do with this. Perception again, most coaching changes are made that way so I cant fault the fans and media for looking at it that way but thats not the way we're looking at it. The idea we dont value stability is so absurd, it's unbelievable. You look at Mr. Alexander's tenure, we had 3 very good coaches. The only team that had less turnover in that time is the Utah Jazz. They're on 2, we're on 3. Over the last 8 years, only 2 teams had less coaching turnover than us. The idea we cant recruit a coach because we dont support them is the most absurb thing I've ever heard. We pick a coach, we're gonna pick one again, we're gonna stick with him, we pick a coach for the time and roster situation we have and we're gonna stick with it. To me, its crazy a coach would look at our situation with young players, an owner that wants to win, and the fact we stuck with...every coach Mr. Alexander has hired has stayed through the tenure of their contract. We havent flipped. At one point, Philadelphia was paying 5 different coaches. We're a stable franchise, that cares about coaches, that will make a good choice again.

How bothered are you that there has to be a day later a winner/loser in this.

Natural in the media. Doesnt bother me. Idea is to make news in the media. Thats appropriate. We want to present our side and let them judge it as it is. Fans will comment on one side of the other. Part of being a fan. We want to get our side of why we made this decision out there.

Fran brought up about quick turnover of making a deal for Ariza, Landry, Artest

Glad you brought that up. That's great. We signed Ariza and ended up with Courtney Lee. How is that bad? He is a solid contributor. Wont understand how its a bad deal. Someone call in and explain that as a bad move to me.

He said you drafted Batum, traded Arthur.

We did not draft Nicolas Batum. I almost feel a single thing....I dont know why you honestly have him on. Not a single thing he said is accurate. Draft day trades are not done where you pick a certain player. We targeted Donte Greene in that draft. Should we have targted Nicolas Batum? That you can argue. I dont mind arguing that. I dont mind arguing someone else being picked later.Maybe we should have stayed on that pick, drafted Nicolas Batum and kept him. Fair criticism. We did not take Nicolas Batum. We were targeting Donte Greene. We figured out, we were drafting 25th, we figured out to get...Greene wasnt going to get picked between 25-28, so we traded back and picked up another pick at 33, which was Dorsey. Again, happy to be criticized and say Dorsey was the wrong pick but we traded pick 25 and Portland took Batum. Had nothing to do with us taking Batum and trading him. Thats not how draft day trades work. We then traded back to 28, and again figured out that Greene would be available at 29, traded back again, and picked up an extra 2nd round pick in the following draft. Criticize us for drafting Donte Greene, cant criticize us for taking Batum and trading him. Thats not accurate.

Fran brought up: criticizing you about not landing star so far. What do you think when you hear that?

Two things: 1. I never said we have a lot of assets, I've never used those words. Unfair to say. 2. That is our strategy.. Fair crticism until we pull it off.

I've said this: Almost as if you're looking for super coach. Where is the super coach? I also said is there is no more question that you are in charge. This is your baby for a lack of a better word.

Both points are fair. We are looking for super coach. If we could have combo of Auberbach, Adelman, Rivers, Van Gundy, combine them all with best aspect, sure we'd love to have that but that isnt realistic. We are seeking the best, one with the best fit. We'll have change and continue to have change and need someone that fits on that. Thats fiar. Criticism will come at me, thats fair. Nature of the job.

You havent said this but there are assets available this upcoming year. You have a chance now to roll up your sleeves and get that guy.

Potentially. Cant address league uncertainty. We will continue to be opportunistic. What we wont be or do is terrible. We're gonna try and win. Won 43 games with one of the yougest rosters in the league that is improving. We're gonna continue to improve. While we're seeking change, we're not looking to get worse. We'll continue take bets on players and trades. We'll continue to take bets until we're a championship contender.

Chronicle column: Morey said he'll trade chunk of his roster for dazzling PG named Ricky Rubio. Quote Morey: He can help us win a championship someday but might win 20 games next season. Adelman responds are you trying to get me fired?

We've had disagreements over win now and the future. I dont consider that nothing more than appropriate GM-coach interactions. His job is win tonight. My job is construct a championship caliber team. Those things dont have to be at odds but sometimes are. I had no issue on who Adelman played. No problem with Adelman on his disagreements with trade. This last one inparticular, we made trades he didnt agree to which is fine. I understand that. I respect that. Prior to that, no trades he didnt necessarily disagree with. He might of said "Maybe I wouldnt do that one" but was more supportive. These, he understandibly was against them. We feel we had to make them. Traded 2 fan favorites. Straight forward trades actually. Both these guys...you were either gonna be mad at us for trading them at the time or be mad at us when they're gone in 7 weeks for nothing. Both of those guys were gone in FA. Aaron is going to get more money than we thought would fit in the structure on a championship caliber team and Shane was going to get more money than we could pay in FA.

Philosophically, comment was they didnt want to win games 81-80 with JVG and now they dont play defense. What now? That was brought up by Fran. What is the...? Looking for Adelman type or Thibodeau type?

I'm gonna get out there with our criteria. Out of respect for Adelman, we havent crystalized that or who we are going after. 1st thing we did was to see if we could make it work with Adelman and it wouldnt. We'll get out there with the criteria.

You said you guys are in different phase. What do you mean?

I would say with Adelman, we had our foundation. You need at least one or two stars to compete for a championship. No exception to that over the last 35 years. We can realistic or pretend thats not the case. We have some good players who can become all-stars but not there yet. Hope they do develop but wont count on that. Had 2 sure fire guys with Adelman when he came in and were building around that. Right now, no all-stars. Continuing to try to upgrade the team. EIther current players become star players or we'll trade into that or use FA is possible.

Time not right for stability within your roster. Can you explain or expand?

When your OKC, got Durant, who I think is one of the top players. Nick Collison,a Chuck Hayes type, I would not want to lose if I were them. If however in our situation and a guy or FA wants too much money, to give him that money, you're hurting yourself down the road. Once you stabilize on your core of guys you think you can win a title with, he might not fit that core. We cant be in a situation where we are evaluating chemistry of a group until we have our championship foundation in place.

Player after player came out and supported Rick. Martin said took a step back. How do you balance that?

We factor everything in. Important the players came out and supported him. Thats why we brought Adelman in in the first place. If we brought in a terrible coach, everyone right now would say that's great, they fired a terrible coach! We wont bring in a bad coach. Every coaching change here on out, it will be a terrible move because we bring in good coaches. We were looking to try and make it work with Adelman it just didnt work.

What is the next coach likely to look like? Own thoughts is you would go with a younger coach. Is that a fair assessment?

I dont think so. Early in the process We'll make best choice going forward. Dont want to talk about criteria. We dont want to overlyrule anybody. We'll have wide open process. Last time with Yao and Tracy, we knew we needed steady hand and vet guy. A guy who been there before. Right now, not the case.. We want best choice going forward.

About the process, were you fine-ight with Adelman in things you were looking for and he chose not to be that guy?

We were specific about what the team would like going forward and changes that needed to be made. He made clear what he was comfortable with. It didnt line up.

Do you have a trip lined up to Khazakistan?

Spent most time in Europe but spent 3 weeks seeing different guys. Last year terrible international draft, this year strong. We're focused on Europe heavily.

Message to the fans or anything you want to add?

Appreciate the fans sticking with us. They're passionate. Mr. Alexander has a great track record of picking coaching, trust we'll make a good choice. He's 3-3 with Rudy, JVG, and Adelman. Working hard to go 4-4. Trust the process. Just like a draft pick shouldnt be judge on draft day, the new coach should be judged on the results, not the press conference.

3 people like this.
  13. clutz

clutz Member

14. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

i am glad he addressed the innaccuracies in the Fran article/interview - you may not agree with Morey, but Fran B was using WRONG FACTS

15. worzel gummidge

Re: Batum, Morey said in a podcast, maybe from within a year ago, where he countered to some comment about drafting Batum. If the Batum trade didn't go down, they would have been stuck with him, so they had to like Batum enough themselves should that gamble fail/scenario arise.

He also mentioned "keeping a close eye" on Batum because of the fact they did draft him and if it turns out trading him was a mistake.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I kind of feel bad for Morey. My suspicion (as of many other people) is, this letting go of Adelman has Alexander's finger prints all over it. Morey is out there trying to cover for his boss. And some of the things he said in the past don't help.

I am sure there are differences between Adelman and Morey. Like Morey said, they are standard coach-GM disagreements. And Morey could have done a better job on communicating with his coach. But my feeling is that both Adelman and Morey felt that parting way was not really necessary if Les wasn't behind it. Now Morey is irritated because fans and media are grilling him as the decision maker.

1 person likes this.
  17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

18. wakawakka

wakawakka Member

I didn’t listen to the interview so I couldn’t hear the defensive tone, but I bet Morey is just growing tired of shouldering the entire blame for a decision that was ultimately on Les. Of course he can’t just outright say that. But taking all the heat that comes with the job while Les hides out laughing his hyena ass off is probably just getting to him a little bit.

We also don’t know the full details about this whole situation since Morey and Adelman agreed to keep things private. So the public is assuming a lot of stuff that Morey can’t really address up front. That’s got to be frustrating too.

Ultimately, I don’t like the decision, but I’m not going to assume “evil Morey push out good coach because he reject analytics and Hasheem Thabust.” What I really just didn’t like is the apparent lack of respect and appreciation Les has seemed to show for Adelman, and how that affects other good coaches coming here.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the recap HSF !

I like Morey but I think this is the first real adversity he has had to deal with in criticism from the media, and his skin seems a little thin in that interview.

Also, one takeaway is why they traded some of the players because they did not want to pay them, or they would get bigger offers.

IMO, a championship organization pays it's players and locks them up with extensions ala San Antonio, and is not afraid to pay them, stuff like that makes Les and the Rockets seem cheap.

Look, I admire DM for putting himself out there, but he has to learn to roll with criticism and stop trying to spin things like the "Assets" bit, he has used that a lot.

DD

1 person likes this.
  20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Wow ... never seen Morey so defensive ....

... I can't believe he's saying he's never used the word "assets" when referring to players. I've made a number of posts regarding him doing exactly that and the potential of that getting him in trouble ... and now it has.

So far, Morey has built a mystique, and hasn't faced the ire of fans ... I'm somewhere surprised at his insecurity that he's showing. He needs to respond, but calmly explain with quiet confidence why he is brilliantly dealing with the tough hands dealt to him.

As much as I've liked Adelman, I have to agree that this is the best course of action with where we are at. Its not going to be easy to get another couple of stars, so we're going to have to go into "asset" development, and Morey grasps that part of the business very well, although will need to work better with the players.