1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Morey needs to make a decisive decision on which direction we go

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jzmagic, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

By the allstar break that is. Trade Yao (or let him walk) and rebuild, or make a big trade for a star player. No more tweaks to the roster that can marginally benefit us, there's no point in just trying to stay barely above water or remain marginally competitive so that we get bounced in the first round.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Daryl Morey has stated this before, but the issue is, he's not the one in charge, it's what convinced Mr MIT card counter that the GM job isn't what he'd want.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm sure it is not his plan to barely stay above water or remain marginally competitive so we get bounced in the first round. Why would Morey do that?

4. Raven

Raven Member

You can be certain of one thing, that Les and Morey are philosophically on the same page in regards to how a championship team is built. That doesn't mean Morey isn't feeling some heat, but I bet Les is satisfied with what he sees. I also think the accusations that Les is pulling the strings is mostly unprovable. Morey probably has about the same level of freedom that most managers do, and maybe even a bit more.

I think the odds of anything significant being done before the Rockets are absolutely sure they have no chance of acquiring Carmelo is close to zero.

5. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Yeah, let's make a big trade for a star player.

6. jzmagic

jzmagic Member

Morey could very well think that the team needs a year or two to gel, and that its only because of injuries that we suck right now.

7. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

We should trade for pietrus and bass.

What do y'all think?

8. J-Man

J-Man Member

no....

9. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

and why not? Two good two dimensional players. Defense we desperately need also. And bass' size is great

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nope. It still sucks. I would either retain Yao or let him go during the offseason and have the cap space to make moves. You don't just get players just to get players. You get players that can get you over the hump.

11. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

As long as Yao Ming remains with the team this team built around him and all his injuries is going no where.

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

As opposed to an indecisive decision?

1 person likes this.
  13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

yao is what morey is betting on for this year. i don't see any chance yao will be traded before the season is over. morey's philosophy is to build around him if he stays healthy. otherwise, rebuild team by two potential high picks in next 2 years.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I think Morey all along has been planning for the season after this one.. Expect some major moves in the off-season.

15. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

As the lockout approaches, some team is going to become desperate for some "assets." We're tired of reading that word, but I think it describes exactly what some owner/manager will look for.

A young team with some up-and-coming players will probably look to trade one of its veteran "stars" to make room for the young guns.

Morey will have some flexibility.

I've always had a gut feeling that we would be dealing with the Pacers or Warriors for a star player, though, I have no inside information relating to that.

16. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I' m for a total rebuid of the team, but if Morey decides to it mostly intact, we have to get a center who rebounds and blocks. To think that we almost got Tyson Chandler, urgh. Chandler is really helping the Mavs. Damn it.

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

edit

edit

18. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

with all the doubt here, including from myself, I can't help but shake the feeling Morey has something up his sleeve. He's been like that since he started... he's been quiet too. Too quiet. So quiet, it means he's standing pat for now on purpose. No WoJo chatter, no sneaky statements, nothing from Les about the roster needing upgrades... nothing.

We all know that the team isn't where it needs to be, but that doesn't mean it isn't in a good position according to money and trade ability. Why not let our assets play to their hearts content? Why not develop our youth who we want to trade? Why not squirrel away Paterson in the d league until we clear room?

This is all a strategy, a game of chess.

At this point, we know what kinds of players our owner likes. He put up with T-mac's diva act because of his amazing scoring talents. I think he fancies Carmelo Anthony in the same regard. Don't be surprised when trade deadline hits and we unload a tremendous amount of talent to acquire Anthony.

There is a fire sale coming and it's going to blow your mind.

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

No more role players. Only starter quality guys.

20. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Hmm, where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, it's exactly what Morey has said he wants to do. But it takes two to trade.