1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey make your move! Artest does 180 and opts out!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Jun 27, 2008.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Even though it's very unlikely he'll sign with us when there are more attractive destinations (LA, SA, Detroit..basically any team that's made it further than us in the playoffs) that are closer to a ring than we are, I can't believe there are some on here that would pass on Artest.

Last time I check, we have two hobbled star players that will always go down during the regular season, a "glue guy" being our THIRD best player, Skip To My Lou STARTING at point guard, an artifact as our backup center, a reserve power forward thinking about MLE money because he's jacking up threes in the offseason, a back up power forward that can't make layups, an undersized shooting guard that can't shoot, two incoming rookies that will probably be D-leaguing most of next year, two point guards who serve nothing more than cap fodder, and Steve Novak. Tell me, what exactly is keeping you guys from wanting Ron Artest because I hope it's not because you believe the Houston Rockets have enough talent that we wouldn't have room for Ron Artest.

2. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

After reading this, I looked up the income tax rate in CA, which is 9.3%. The math says 8.4 million nets about 7.6 million take-home in California, meaning only about 2 million under before any Chinese endorsements.

If it came down to it, tax is what could separate us from the Lakers, and China is what could separate us from the Spurs.

3. nono3534

nono3534 Member

wow, i just got registration passed...

Hello beloved fans here.. I am from Singapore... I love Houston Rockets..

4. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Welcome, nono!

How did you become a Rockets fan even though you live so far away?

5. nono3534

nono3534 Member

Hello... I got some friend from Houston University exchanged to my school last year... And he introduced me the Great ROX team..

And I started to watch the game through the internet, although none of the tv program is about NBA...

The more i watch, the more I love this team.. Great stars, great bentch.. and aggressive heart to win..

Sorry, i am very lousy in english...

6. ColomboLQ

ColomboLQ Member

Honestly, that isn't bad at all. I've seen people in this country be much worse at english. Welcome aboard!

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

There is no doubt that our overall skill level is low,and that is why I think he will get pissed off at our team even if he signs with us. He is good but I don't think he will play in a disciplined manner. I do remember he had a very good season with Carlisle in Indiana but then proceeded to criticize the offense as being too slow.Rick will try to play faster but I don't think he will be happy here.

8. nono3534

nono3534 Member

Hhahaha, Thanks..

I will go to Houston to watch games in 2008 - 2009 season.. Hope to see you guys.. let's have some drink then..

Okie.. Pls continue with your threads on Artest.. I need to sleep, as it is 1:21am here..

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston Rockets

we welcome WARRIORS! :D

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He will be happy cause we have Rick the Ruler.

plus Houston is Warrior friendly.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Here's the follow up the article in the thread starter's OP:

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013546.html
    Ron's agent says he's not opting out.

12. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Welcome fellow local brother! Rox fan from SG here too. ;)

Anyhow, cordialities out of the way, if there is any way to land Artest via a S&T, and I think that's the most realistic option, I don't see why the Kings wouldn't settle for a package with Bjax.

Remember how badly we need a 3rd scorer guys. If there's any chance of landing Artest on a 1+1 year deal, do it. Realistically, that probably means a package of Bjax + Landry at 8 mill over 3 years or something equivalent like that.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

is he restricted or unrestricted if he opts out? if he becomes unrestricted they can't do a s&t unless it's for only the mle.

14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I am not ready to get rid of bjax just yet. I think his veteran leadership will be what this team needs heading into the post season. A little training camp with our guys he'll know better what he needs to get done. I am willing to part with Raefer though...

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Once again we see people overestimating the talent on this board. Its not that hard really since the kings aren't in the James sweepstakes in 2 yrs.

Battier, Jackson, and Brooks for sign and trade Artest @ 4 yrs 50m. I don't like losing Brooks, but u can sign Dooling as a backup to the point. Why are people trying to make it so hard? Hell, they can even throw in a 1st rd pick. Artest makes 12m so when James is free, u can renounce Tracy, Rafer which gives the team 24m and sign James. In 2010 u have a 31yr old Artest, James and Yao with scola,landry as a core and keep rolling. By that time Green or Green will be ready to backup James or Artest. and we would still be in the mix.

16. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

you can forget about king james, he's gonna end up in brooklyn, bank on it.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Everyone has that misconception that Artest will got bat****ty if he comes here. IIRC, his time in Sacramento hasn't been all that volatile especially when compared to his Indy days. In fact, I think Sacramento domesticated Artest to a certain degree. He might act crazy and say crazy things but he knows his time is almost up and he can't afford to go nuts and leave to make rap albums anymore.

As for the poster that don't want to get rid of Bobby Jackson: wake up and smell the roses. He's an unreliable point guard and he's a streaky shoot at best in this stage of his career. If he's going to get more minutes than our supposedly savior Aaron Brooks at the point next season, we've got more problems than I originally imagined. His contract is worth more than his playing abilities right now.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Scola and Landry do not play like a traditional PF, but they are significant parts of our game. Dorsey should replace chuck as backup PF.When and if Battier is traded there will be a major gap so Artest or Landry could play the SF position. anyway I am sure they know what they are doing with Morey leading the way. :p

#58 Yetti, Jun 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Stop overestimating the abilities of the players on this team. The roster as it currently stands MIGHT be able to get out of the first round if everybody's healthy and that's a big IF. Do whatever it takes to get Artest. Give them the draft picks they want and give them anyone not named T-Mac or Yao and make sure Ron Ron signs an extension. The window of opportunity is rapidly closing - 2 years left at most.

20. sook

sook Rookie

ROFL great post ;)