1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey make your move! Artest does 180 and opts out!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shawndme7, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

I think Artest got it right.

0 degrees = signed

180 degrees = FA

100 degrees = OPT OUT

:D

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's looking for 12+ million a year, people. I would've been better for us if he didn't opt out. The kings don't want to pay that kind of salary; we could've sold them on Brooks, or Battier, or Landry, or something. Now that he's a FA they won't want to SnT him for our crap.

3. hooroo

hooroo Member

His agent doesn't want him to opt out. That's likely because he knows there are too many fee agents and not enough teams with cap space this year. A trade could still be on the cards where Artest agrees not to opt out and agrees to a trade to a contender.

4. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Who are the teams that can offer more than the MLE?

5. stonecold999

stonecold999 Member

i'd say do WHATEVER it takes to get artest via trade, and if the team does not win a championship or get to western final next year, blow this team up.. trade t-mac, get rid of artest, and build around YAO .... as let them have one more chance to play together next season...

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I give it less than a 2% chance of him coming here. I like to be proved worng somtimes, though...

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He'll probably be looking into a S&T or resigning with the Kings for more money.

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Thank God his Agent is there to explain to him everyday he can't opt out, sign big money and be on a title contender all at once. :rolleyes:

9. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I'm sure he wants more money, but no team can afford to give it to him, and definitely no team that will be a contender. He'll have to settle for less.

Can Morey sweet talk him into signing with us? I hope so.

10. htown21

htown21 Member

"he may" doesn't sound like he doing it now.

11. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Wasn't it Jason Kidd once who said, "We've got to get this thing turned around 360 degrees"?

Anyway, he maybe meant 100 instead of 180 because he hasn't made up his mind yet. He's taking an obtuse angle.

12. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

We may not get him at full MLE, but how about full MLE + shoe deal? We may even add in a summer concert tour de China to sweaten the deal.

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

He's going to run a basketball camp in China during the Olympics. So maybe... :D

14. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

So far all he has done is threaten to opt-out of his contract. What better way to force a trade if he knows someone wants him, and he does. Someone is hot on his trail and Sacramento will have to trade him or lose him. If he hadn't threatened to opt-out they would have little reason to trade him this year. Lets hope is is the Rockets who can pull off the deal.

15. Jacquescas

Jacquescas Contributing Member

he has 1 year left on his deal, he could sign a 1 year MLE deal that pays him roughly 5.5 mil... he would make 8.4 million. so roughly a 3 million dollar loss to play for a contender.

now lets say we talk him into listening to us what do we say.... well first texas has no income tax vs vs California so that saves him some money and the marketing deal he would get in china would probably make up for the rest of the money. Yao has deep long coattails when it comes to endorsements. While he may be pretty untouchable here, he could rake in serious money in china.

i'd love to have battier and artest its like fire and ice... and imagine the defense when both of them are in there with deke, scola and tmac for a short defensive possession.

16. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Don't see why Sac would agree to that. If I'm Sac, I'd rather let him walk for nothing than take on those players. If we wanted a SnT, we'd need to throw a more worthwhile player in there, or a 1st, IMO.

17. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

This thread title is misleading. Is it possible to change it, as this is the same rumor that was posted the other day? Artest hasn't said he is optiong out, and this is like the 3rd time he has "potentially" flip-flopped.

18. bjshot

bjshot Member

I will use Landry+expired contracts to do S&T to get Ron. Give him $13m for 1 or 2 years like what Bulls did to Rodman. Rockets will dominate the League.

19. blackistan

blackistan Member

All I know is Artest will help put us over the top and we need to make a serious run at him

20. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

At first, i liked the idea of a beast like Artest but i think he's still too much of a headcase. I like his work ethic and how he's not afraid to take over in the clutch and de did play for RA but I don't think the Rockets want to give up Battier for him, which would be necessary in order to even coming close of getting him. I don't see Arest taking anything less than being the 2nd go-to guy player on a team either, which he wouldn't be on our team. So i would say: pass.