1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey, it's Time to Gamble

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

So we all know we'll be picking 14th again. Barring and draft day deals to move up or anything, who would you rather see our team drafting... A player who could boost a franchise and can be an all star but could also be a bust like Jimmer Freddete or another solid nba ready role player?

Personally, i want our team to take risks for a change. We already have more than enough role players.

2. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Two things Rox need the most...

1. A big man.
    2. DEFENSE.

A player who could boost a franchize?

If picking at 14 I would choose a player who could possibly be a all star..... DEFENDER.

It could be a bit of a risk, but a risk that could net them there two biggest needs..

Take Bismack Byombo.

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'd like another Patrick Patterson.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Well, this site has us drafting Byombo.

http://www.nbadraft.net//?content=mock2006

The dude is shot-blocking machine. I just hope he doesn't turnout like a similar player we have had: Dorsey.

5. delishman

delishman Member

I don't think the Rockets have such polarized views as a safe play or a home-run or bust. If they like a player I think they believe he is a solid player who could turn into a star. Patrick Patterson was the "safe" pick and I think most people have star aspirations for him now.

1 person likes this.
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

The assertion that Morey doesn't gamble makes no sense. I mean, everyone says Patterson is a safe pick. And 1/2 a season later, talking about how his ceiling is a McDyess, Boozer, etc. A 14th pick with all-star potential? Is that considered a "low ceiling guy" nowadays? Do you actually believe the next guy with Lebron potential will drop to 14?

Even when you look at Brooks, Landry, CBud, Dorsey, Green, Taylor, Llul, etc. and the guys drafted after them. Seems to me the Rockets actually drafted guys with higher ceilings than most others. Just because they're 4-year guys with little fan-fare at draft day, doesn't mean they have less potential.

They only have less "upside" in the sense that fans seem to believe any 19yr old freshman with hops must have a chance to be the next Kobe.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

any draft pick after the first 5 is always a crap shoot, and often ones inside it.

The chance of getting a superstar out of the top 5 is close to a once every 3 or 4 year occurrence, getting one outside the top 10 is a once a decade deal.

8. kjhwang

kjhwang Member

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zhEz_KzELjM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I second this. Patpat was a solid pickup and is going to be a solid starter in the NBA.

10. van chief

van chief Member

Bismack Biyombo 6'-9" Wt: 243 lbs he is our wheelhouse!

11. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

We'd be lucky to get another one picking at #14. That said, we're not winning anything with a team full of Patrick Pattersons. It's early, but it sounds like another off-season of disappointment.

12. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

Daryl will be on the Jim Rome show today

13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Bismack Biyombo and Patrick Patterson would be a dream 4 and 5. Excellent shot blocker and decent offense combined with Excellent offense and decent defense and shot blocking. Sure they are both are 6'9, but both have very good wing spans. Want to see this happen.

14. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

This team, with a good and tall defensive center, is a playoff team - even without any changes. But, for us to get far in the playoffs, we'll need something more.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's funny, because I think some people here would criticize selecting Freddete as a "safe" pick.

If the Rockets are going to gamble in this draft, I want them to gamble on a center with length and athleticism.

Then again, that's what they already did by trading for Hasheem Thabeet. Any centers in this draft who could be available at 14 and have a higher upside as a rim protector than Thabeet?

16. rockets06

rockets06 Member

yes please!! I was thinking Chris Singleton!! :grin: talk about defensive pressure with those two

17. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I'll go with the BPA method... which will most likely be Donatas Motiejunas. Having a 7'0 of his skill level would definitely add a new element to our roster.

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If Biyombo is there, I'd be 100% for taking him. I also like Singleton.

Motiejunas would be a nice pick as well.

19. Will Samples

Will Samples Member

I think it's pretty obvious that size is what we need the most, and it appears that many on the board agree. I feel like the rockets pick around the 14th area all too often. It's almost as if we're in NBA purgatory- not good enough to make the playoffs, but still a solid team that barely misses out. As a result, mid first round draft picks.

I hope we hit the jackpot with this pick this year.