1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey interviewed recap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Jul 12, 2009.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Morey on during Rockets vs Minny Summer league game, here is the recap:

Hosts- Meyers and Aldridge

Host: Lot up in the air for the Rockets DM?

DM: We have question markes with Yao and Tracy, no excuses though.

H: Some of the young guys look good ...Budinger

DM: Chase had a good game but missed a shot, lol....J Taylor showing what he can do, make shots, but they both need to work on defense

H: Yao's injury devestating blow - looking at talent remaining, what style will you play.

DM: Up tempo more mobile, more athletic - hard to win without Yao, but feel we have guys who play hard all the time, hopefully it translates to wins in the playoffs next year

H: Ariza

DM - Every year he improves, his shot getting better, off the dribble game needs to improve, but we like him especially over time

H: Injury excetion for Yao helped you do some other things, now you have the MLE left.

DM: Yes, we added Trevor and kept our flexibility, we have about 6 million to add a player if the opp presents itself.

H: summer league for refs

DM: that is clear !

H: Talk about Brooks and the decision and getting Lowry

DM: We really thought getting Lowry was a good move and that AB played great with the starters all year, there is always risk, AB took it on and did a good job, and Lowry did a great job as the backup, trade worked out for everyone.

H: Will Conroy

DM: We think he is an NBA player, not sure if we have space on our roster in fall, lots of teams like him, thinks if he gets the op he will stick.

H: Will Scola be able to do more , how does his skillset help?

DM: Great decision maker overall in post, has been featured in offense in Europe, he knows how to play the role, gonna need scoring from him, Brooks, Ariza, and other sources.

H: Have you seen any other players you like

DM: Curry missed some shots but he is a good player, J. Flynn is going to be a starting PG for Minny, not easy to do, Tyreke Evens - biggest PG he has ever seen, and can really attack the hoop, good pickup by Sacremento, we always get to dream about drafting those guys.

H: Well you win 55 games lol

DM: It is a struggle LOL

H: Did Scola change the culture, thought he was difference maker by bodying up against Aldridge and took him out.....did Scola's hustle change the culture of the team?

DM: He was probably our MVP last year, every day and every possession he plays hard, people underestimate that...it is a skill and it is something the Rockets value....he and Shane are going to be the leader next year.

H: Rehab for Tmac and Yao.....says Grover is working TMac hard...is it realistic that he is out for a long time?

DM: Probably well into next season, doctors say it is hard to figure when he will be back....but he WILL be back next year, and it will be a big lifft for us...Yao.....not ruled out for next year but will be difficult for him to get back.

H: Yao is a global story, Impact is huge.......summarize the sense of how big Yao being out is...

DM: Starting to be very optimistic in terms of him eventually getting back healthy....as to what course of treatment or surgery he will choose....getting optimistic as he hears more....optimistic for the future.....next season or the one after that....

H: He is the kind of player who is always in shape....Big Z came back and has played at a high level for a number of years......but with bigs, is there a body that says...he can come back

DM: New surgeries and approaches available in the last 5 years that make the prognosis good for Yao going forward.

H: James White body language:

DM: Good body, good skilset, like him to be aggressive......and Gaines born to be a Rocket, scrapper etc.....rebounders.....good block and good recovery......"Oh don't hold the ball"....

H: Without Yao, you are transition

DM: We are going to see Adelmans genius and move the ball and much more movement through athleticism reading and reacting to the defense as opposed to a post game.

H: Rick's offense liked having a high post center - are you looking for that now?

DM: It sounds simplistic, but we are just looking for good player, and let coach Adelman figure it out...we are not worried about changing styles, with Adelman he can coach any style successfully, get best players and he will figure out how to make a system to help them succeed. Divac and Webber were great, but they are hard to find.....probably not going to have a guy that good unfortunatly.

Host : We are up 12 now we brought you good luck.......+8 with us

DM: Appreciate it...play good D and you get to stay in the game and good things will happen.

Host: Spoke to Turner - difference between JVG and Adelman.....and adjustments between changing from Post to Transition....from Portland to the High post offense to what he did with Houston.

DM: With Yao we were running more traditional offense, Rick knows all the offensive ssets, and can beat any defense....we were predictable because of Yao, which was good, but Rick may enjoy it more because he will be able to do a more of a read and react defense which is hard to plan for.....

H: Rick finished 2nd to Coach of the Year.

DM: Finished 2nd like 20 times, but he doesn't want it because those coaches get fired.

LOL....

Recap done...

DD

#1 DaDakota, Jul 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
    4 people like this.
  2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I recorded it as well... I'll update it here in a few minutes! :)

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Nice recap. For listening to the itw live, I can only conclude that you are a machine.
    [​IMG]

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yesterday
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3247397568-audio-player.swf?audioUrl=http://www.finalsbound.com/darylmorey71109.mp3" width="400" height="27" allowscriptaccess="never" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" wmode="window" flashvars="playerMode=embedded" />

Today
    <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.google.com/reader/ui/3247397568-audio-player.swf?audioUrl=http://www.finalsbound.com/darylmorey71209.mp3" width="400" height="27" allowscriptaccess="never" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" wmode="window" flashvars="playerMode=embedded" />

1 person likes this.
  5. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

I was disappointed Von Wafer didn't enter the conversation. I was hoping Morey would shed some light on the current situation, and Von's progress towards possibly reaching a deal with Houston.

Morey mentioned the new style of ball the Rockets would be playing next season without Yao, and he said that we would be an "up-tempo, athletic, and mobile" squad.

Morey also made a reference to James White's athleticism, and mentioned that White fit the mold of the type of player he was looking for: athletic, runs the floor, and finishes strong.

Von should be priority #1 for Morey right now. He'd be crazy not to do whatever it takes to sign this kid.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is on his list, but this is a poker game, DM is not going to tip his hand until he has to.

DD

7. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Good point. I'm just hoping a team doesn't strike out on a few free agents, and end up overpaying for Von out of desperation for a 2 guard.

How many guys on the summer league team do you expect to make the roster next season?

At one point in the conversation Morey was discussing Temple, and he was straight to the point and said, "there's probably not going to be room for him on the roster this year." I didn't expect Temple to make the team, but it seems as if Morey has his eye on a select 3-4 guys on the team.

I'm thinking only Dorsey, Budinger, and Taylor make the team, but if we re-sign Von, one of those two wing players could end up in the D League.

8. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

HF raised you DD... :D

9. Dei

Dei Member

hkjhkhjghjgj

10. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Completely forgot about "Flight" White. It looks like Taylor and Budinger could end up battling for the last roster spot, unless both outplay White this summer. White's contract is non-guarenteed, so he could possibly be gone. Just throwing ideas out, but this could interesting if Budinger keeps tearing it up.

11. rocketsmetalspd

Looks like the Rockets will make some moves but I believe they will wait and see what happens this week. First up will be this Tuesday if the Magic match Dallas deal for Gortat and this Friday when the Jazz will have to decide to match Blazers deal for Milsap. The Rockets will then make a move and I hope they can address the C, Backup C, and SG positions.

12. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Didn't realize Morey likes to LOL so much...

13. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Morey also said that he considered Ariza to already be an elite wing defender. Looks more likely that Shane is going to be shipped off.

14. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Summer league is hardly the place where they evaluate who makes the roster. The pre-season is much, much, MUCH more important. Summer league means very little.

15. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

DD thank you so much for that. If I could divvy rep points that's like plus 10. Awesome interview. Glad to hear some words on the situation. Morey expresses a lot of faith in Adelman... probably one of the best coaches I've ever seen in my life. Can't wait to see what happens.

I thought it was interesting that he hinted at Scola being featured on offense... so what does that mean, he hasn't yet to be featured? If that is the case, I'm excited... that could pull a lot of people into the crowd if he starts going off 25, 30 ppg.

16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I agree. Von Wafer is better than any of the shooting guards on our summer league team right now.

17. Dei

Dei Member

lol no, especially for anything more than 1m.

18. vince

vince Member

Wafer doesn't pass the ball. He's like a black hole. I say keep him if it's cheap, but don't morgage the future for this guy.

19. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I hate when guys assume this. What makes you think that? Whats wrong with having 2 defensive stoppers on the team? The Rockets got away with robbery in that trade to acquire Ron Artest and Battier was still on the team. So you really think signing Trevor Ariza makes a difference?? Oh boy.

20. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

"Tracy McGrady WILL be back next season"

Hahaha oook I'll believe that when i see it. Lately every G.M has been goody goody in their players. "yeah we are keeping him. We don't want to lose him he is a key part to what we are trying to do" then next thing you know the guy they are talking about is traded.

As for you Von Wafer lovers get a grip. Luck was just on the kids side. All those injuries gave him a chance and he showed the world what he can do. Now with everyone healthy as in the wing positions Von doesn't sniff the court. Von is not going to be resigned so get over it. McGrady plays then no Von. You guys need to also thank Brent Barry for sucking also. If he wasn't so horrible he'll get more burn over Wafer any day.