1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey has built a solid team :)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Dec 23, 2010.

1. vince

vince Member

PG - Lowry (true point guard), Brooks (go to guy #3), Lee (defense)
    SG - Martin (go to guy #1); Lee (offense)
    SF - Battier (glue of team - coach on the court); Williams (lots of potential)
    PF - Hayes (solid defense); Hill (lots of potential)
    C - Scola (go to guy #2); Miller (point center)

Sure this team can still be improved, but if nothing is done to change the line up, I think it's very competitive with lots of upside :cool:

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's a nice base, but these planets need a sun to revolve around.

1 person likes this.
  3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yeah, really our only problem is that Hayes is starting... other than that, solid solid team. I can be patient for a little while longer. No one is ever satisfied unless they have a winning product right? We've got to do a few more moves...

4. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Solid teams are usually 1st rd losers, at best 2nd rd. Morey has always said that winning a championship is his goal, not to build a solid team. Upgrade whatever position is needed to get to that point.

5. lalala902102001

It's a medicore team, as its record shows.

I still say that I'd rather be very bad for a couple of years for a chance to land a franchise player in the draft than to be mediocre for a deacde.

6. Prince

Prince Member

relax guys, we just beat unseeded teams lately.

7. seeingred

seeingred Member

we just went through the easiest stretch we will have all year, and several of these games were nail-biters.

i'm not ready to celebrate just yet.

8. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

we are solid, but nothing like the spurs, mavs, celtics, bulls, heat, lakers....we can beat them all, but thats if all of our guys are playing good...we dont have great D like any of those teams, and not really a clutch player to close games off. luckily battier has been hitting his shots, wich is important to spread the floor, and scola/lowry have been doing great. Also, kmart has been our end of game closer by getting to the line, other then that. This has been winning us games, although i dont know how long it will last. Hopefully forever :p

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I like how you switched around Hayes and Scola, position-wise.

Scola does jump center and Hayes tends to guard the more mobile PFs ... so why not? All of a sudden, people can no longer complain that we're starting a 6'5 center. :grin:

10. Happii

Happii Member

Doesn't every mediocre/very bad team want a franchise player? It is very easy to say "I still say that I'd rather be very bad for a couple of years for a chance to land a franchise player in the draft" but the act of drafting a franchise player and then acquiring a team solely on the franchise player as the foundation is a very hard task. Also even if you receive the 1st overall pick in the draft it is not 100% that the drafted player would become a player of the superstar nature. Hence the development of the player is also critical. But by D.M putting us in this situation now is a very smart move. We now have a higher chance to become a contender for the championship than let say the Minnesota Timberwolves. With our situation now we could even have a final run for the playoffs and even make it (we would not in my opinion go "that" far into the playoffs but that is not my point). With some smart trades the Rockets may even receive a top 10 pick from a team performing the process of "tanking". Just think of the Utah Jazz, they received the 9th pick overall in the previous draft and they also made it to the playoffs. In my opinion we should not result into becoming the tanking teams hoping to land a franchise player in the draft but then turn into a failed experiment. With our position right now it is just a matter of time before a franchise player comes right at our front door and we would still have a solid team to build around him thereby skipping the process of trading and negotiating which would in the end give us the taste of the championship again.

11. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

All we need in that rotation is Marcus Camby's Excellent defense to protect the Paint from all them Alley Oops and will be complete.

12. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Why no love for Bud?

13. anchel

anchel Member

Don't forget Patterson.

14. dschwab

dschwab Contributing Member

I agree.

But the sun revolves, not the plants ;) .

15. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I'm a big fan of Bud but he seriously needs to get his shot going soon. He's making easy layups look difficult and he passes up wide open shots. The confidence isn't there.

Or maybe last year was a fluke.

16. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I agree. For all the people giving Morey crap earlier this season, think where we would be with Carroll Dawson's supporting players, once T-Mac and Yao were gone.

Believe it or not, Morey has infused this team with a lot of young, cheap talent. If you want to call them complimentary players, fine, but realize that they are the best complimentary players the Rockets have had since the championship teams. And there are a LOT of them, so if we trade up for a superstar, the team won't be completely gutted like it was when we got T-Mac.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

QFT. until then, we're simply a "solid" team. that's not what the fans want. hopefully, a new post will say by the trade deadline: "Morey has built a great team."

18. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

LOL, WUT?

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

So Scola is a center..?

20. Gertso

Gertso Member

According to the Clippers board our team is full of annoying and pesky players. :grin: