1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey faints] Parsons signs with Dan Fegan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, May 20, 2013.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe this is just signifies that Morey's relationship with Fegan isn't really that bad to begin with.

Look at the end of the day, Fegan is the salesperson, and the paying customer is Les Alexander, or everyone other owner, and the team they own. The product they are selling is their players to those owners to get their commissions. Anyone thinking they are truly working for their players are fooling themselves. Its not the players that are paying them their commissions.

I think Parsons signing with Fegan isn't such a bad thing at all. If his value increases over the next few years its going to be a good thing for the Rockets since they hold the cards in this matter.

If Fegan tries to force Parsons to a big market team, the Rockets can elect to go the Presti/OKC/Harden way and cash out on his trade value before then. Or(what they probably will do anyways) is allow him to become a restricted free agent in order to match any offer he gets and set him up for another 4 or 5 years after his rookie deal.

*Lastly how could his new client getting teamed up with 2 other superstars(Howard/Harden), an international star in Lin, and compete for championships be a bad thing for Fegan? Chandler Parson's could have dollar signs written all over him as the 2nd best offensive player on a championship contending team.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I agree. This kind of makes me wonder if this is a savy move by Parsons, understanding that if the Rockets sign Howard that Feagan will almost certainly want assurances that they will make Parsons a UFA next summer so that they can make him a rich man. Or did Feagan approach CP25 and and sell him on that scenario.

Regardless, I think this move bodes well for the Rockets because Feagan sees a giant pay-day for CP25 and I think he will leverage D12 for that giant CP25 pay day.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Parsons is going to get a big contract whether he stays or leaves. It doesn't mean he's going anywhere. We have him for the next two years and then we have the inside track to resign him. I'm not going to worry about any of this at this point.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Second best player on a playoff team is going to get his, so no one should be shocked over this.

5. joe101

joe101 Member

Looks like Parsons is positioning himself to renegotiate his contract after next year by signing with Fagan. Renegotiating Parsons' contract before it's up is the best way to keep Parsons in Houston long term before other teams can even talk contract with him. With upping his forth year pay in mind, no other team can offer him more in total earnings. Morey would have to keep 2014's salaries under the cap so contract renegotiation is possible. So, Rockets can only afford another max salary star player, not two as some have suggested, without losing out on valuable young assets like a Parsons.

6. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

could even be a good will gesture by morey...telling him to go sign with fegan because parsons is going to get paid. He may be losing a few mil with howard to houston, but 800k to 10 mil contract parsons will get makes up for that I think.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Parsons former agent was Bartelstein, another heavy weight. Bartelstein got David Lee a max contract. One would think Parsons was already in good position when the time comes to negotiate a new deal.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It doesn't have to be a contract renegotiation. Parsons just needs the Rockets to decline their team option for 2015 and let him hit restricted free agency after next year... in which the Rockets would either give him a new deal themselves or match whatever is offered elsewhere. It would be a good faith gesture by the Rockets to compensate for how underpaid he was in his first three seasons. To make that likely, one or both of the following factors needs to happen:

1.) A top free agent or two (Dwight) signs in Houston this summer, thus making "cap room" and flexibility less of a priority moving forward.

2.) Chandler leverages his potential unrestricted status in 2015 against the Rockets, saying there's a legit chance he goes elsewhere if he hits the market.

Obviously Dan Fegan has influence and/or experience in both areas. :) I think forcing his way into 2014 restricted FA is the goal for Chandler in all this.

9. Fighton

Fighton Member

hmmmm..

i actually see dwight staying in LA, with lakers giving parsons a ridiculous poison pill contract in 2014 when he becomes a restricted free agent.

i could be wrong but i feel that parsons would want to be in LA more than houston because of non-basketball stuff.

1 person likes this.
  10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If the Rockets land Howard...I think it would be nice to build around a trio of Parsons, Harden and Howard... and move on from there...Parsons next contract can be affordable for the Rockets(about 9 mil/yr)...but all that depends on his projected improvement actually coming to fruition...

Good for him for getting a better agent...bc the other one screwed him royally...I think this move was made as talks with the Rockets stalled on contract changes...and Parsons is trying to get someone better in order to force Morey to listen for change...

Parsons has a personality that could mesh well with people he likes...and Fegan could use this new relationship with Parsons, to influence what the Rockets do/dont do with Howard...we shall see...Go Rockets

11. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yep, my reaction as well. At worst, it's neutral -- this isn't a Hakeem situation, or even a Kevin Martin one. Parsons is a guy the Rockets love, and it's hard to imagine the Rockets trying to displace him at the 3. He's going to get paid, and it's partially a matter of when. Some guys like Scott Boras in baseball seem to have it, but it's not like Parsons was in line for 4 years, 12 million and now Fegan is going to turn and stretch that into 48 million. Parsons was probably going to get about 9-10m per year regardless.

If the Rockets make a big move this summer, then they'll probably go ahead and try to get a long term deal for Parsons next summer. If not, they'll probably make him wait, hopefully make a big move by next summer, and resign him with Bird Rights the following year. There's not much downside.

On the upside, if the Rockets didn't have enough ways to get into Howard's ear before, here's another one. It's not like Rockets players didn't have Howard's phone number before, but Fegan has to be more receptive to a pitch of a "star trio" involving Howard, Harden, and new client Chandler Parsons (plus Linsanity!).

12. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I don't think this means anything, he seems like someone who would play in one city his whole career

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If Dwight stays in LA, there's virtually no way (unless something crazy happens, like Chris Paul signing here) that Parsons becomes a restricted free agent in 2014. The earliest he'd be free under that scenario is 2015, and the Lakers will have probably used up their cap space by then.

The end game for the Rockets is getting at least one more All-Star, and everyone in the NBA world knows it. The Rockets aren't going to ruin their flexibility going forward by letting Chandler out of his cheap deal early. The only way Chandler hits the market before 2015 is if the Rockets don't need flexibility, which probably means that Dwight is here.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't think Parsons is that guy. He knows how to say and do the right things, but he doesn't settle. He'll leave without thinking twice, if it's better for him.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

He will tell Parsons the Rockets are screwing you. Even though all we did was draft him and pay him on his rookie scale contract.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Additionally, in order for the Lakers to offer Parsons a poison pill contract, they would have to be in a better position than us to take on salary. When you look at the history of the Lakers salary situation, that just isn't likely.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Of course, he's a very good looking man.;)

I'm sure he has future aspirations to one day be a male model or star in commercials like Tom Brady.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Or a reality show with his dog

[​IMG]

Admit it, y'all would watch!

19. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

What if someone poison pills us

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

20. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They actually only have Steve Nash on the books after next year (why they signed an ancient Steve Nash to a 3 year deal is a separate question...).

But, the reason the Asik/Lin poison pill deals worked is because their original teams weren't sure they were worth that much (8m/year). Parsons clearly is. Good luck trying to create a poison pill contract for Parsons that wouldn't be a no brainer - more likely, they'd have to just straight offer something crazy like a max deal.