1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Departure Now Makes Sense (Chronicle)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sirjesse, Oct 29, 2020.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

When it was first reported that MDA's contract would not be renewed and that he was a lame duck coach, it should have been obvious to all that he was going to walk away from the mess that is the Rockets. The early rumor was that he was talking to Indianapolis which then shifted to Philly. And according to SAS on First Take this morning, MDA was well on his way to be the next 76ers coach that is until Doc Rivers was suddenly let go by the Clips. Doc was contacted within 24 hours of his release and offered the 76ers gig. And, once again, MDA's name was nowhere to found when discussing head coaching vacancies. Now he's going to be an "assistant" to Steve Nash in Brooklyn and this has cluster**** written all over it - especially when you throw KD and Kyrie into that mix. I maintain that Morey also bailed because he saw no way out of the mess he'd constructed here. No draft picks, bad salary CAP position, players with contracts that make them all but untradeable and the clock is ticking on your primary star as far as winning that ring. Faced with a major rebuild with a new coach that will take, at very least two years, Morey chose to jump ship. It looks really suspicious that 2 weeks after "stepping down" he quickly lands another GM gig which I take to mean that he was secretly plotting his exit with Philly whilest still acting as GM here. His bailing had nothing to do with MDA.

Roxfan4lyfe and s3ts like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

He told him before he signed that contract that he wanted to move back out east.

Tillman did not have to let him out of his contract and he could have put in a no compete clause.

D-rock likes this.
  3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yep I think Harden is next guy to jump ship and move there!

4. Victorious

Victorious Member

Didn't even think about that instead of him on our side, we are now going to be competing against Morey for players to build a team.

Hope Mr. Stone has a few ipads up his sleeve

D-rock likes this.
  5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I don't think that's really true. Yes, he made the decision, but based on what factors? Those factors are what kept it from happening.

If you're in a relationship, say you want it be for life, and your partner makes the relationship insufferable, so you decide to leave...is that on you? or your partner? I think the latter.

#165 BigDog63, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  6. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Les wrote it into his deal, that if he sells the team to Tilman, Morey could at any point ask for a new contract and Tilman would have to give it to him.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I don't know if I'd go 'no way out', but take a look at the two franchises today, and which would your rather be GM of? Seems pretty clear.

8. what

what Member

The sad fact about Daryl Morey is that he made one GOOD trade, he hired one good coach and his coach made one good decision to shoot only 3s.

Whether it was because Morey was in houston, he could attract no free agents or develop enough talent due to poor draft picks. What's more is that the toronto GM had the same situation and won a title. The rockets never could. In fact, some would say Morey had it better because his star stayed. The toronto GM only had one shot and it didn't miss.
    And in its wake, Daryl Morey left a trail of poor decisions that rivals Donald trump's 400 million debt bill coming up.
    The toronto GM has left toronto with far less of a burden with the kawhi deal.
    Moving to Philadelphia is a lateral move at best.
    it's fitting that he goes to Philadelphia which is a team that is in such disarray right now that it ain't even funny.
    Philadelphia has a wealth of talent but they can't get their heads out their asses long enough to do anything right. So they end up paying for a supposed genius GM which is arguable at best if he is a genius.
    The point is is the rockets are in for a long long long winter.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

lmao toronto has been missing for years. foh with one shot. The city of toronto was sick and tired of all the early playoffs exits for years. Every year before kawhi was it's our year finally to get over the hump. and every year it was constant dissapoinment. stop it. They then decided to trade away the face of the franchise whose been there from day 1 and what do you know they won

classic what takes
    [​IMG]

#169 YOLO, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've never liked Smith. At least I understand Jonathan Feigen and his job. You'll rarely see Feigen criticize the Rockets management, players, or ownership. Yes, that can get irritating, but I think he feels like he can't due to the nature of his job. Beat writer/cheerleader. As a result, you don't see him write hit pieces like Smith enjoys doing. Feigen is simply a more talented writer than Smith, in my opinion, and could write critical columns if he was asked to. He's not.

D-rock likes this.
  11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

At some point in time Harden is going to want to get a ring because that is what cements your legacy (just ask Charles Barkley). That's why I laughed when SAS was attacking KD for going to the GSW so he could win that ring because he would be amongst the FIRST to criticise KD had he stayed at OKC for his entire career but failed to win a championship.

D-rock and Deckard like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

At some point...... do you ever go back and look at your prior opinions..... see that they are wrong and consider that perhaps you are very poor at having valid or informed opinions?

I ask because your prior opinions voiced on these boards are wrong at a staggeringly high rate.

Perhaps try listening and learning more, and voicing your opinion less until your opinion is informed?

13. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Facts bro Morey sold out but it was only a matter of time

14. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

Well said

15. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Well, I can understand if Morey didn't like his position and boss and wanted a better one. But the author makes good points, they did try to re sign him and why say it's about family then get a new job days later?

Not sure if the Westbrook trade and selling our future picks was pressured by others and that made his position difficult, that and losing a coach he wanted.

I can understand if he wanted to go, but it could have been handled better and he did leave things to be cleaned up.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Morey constructed a "mess" here in large part because he was told to by ownership, in my opinion.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

There was no "mess" until Tilman bought the team.

If anyone thinks it's a "mess" now, wait until Patrick officially takes over the FO.

18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

He’ll never officially take over because he won’t want the criticism. Instead he’ll just assert final decision power and ruin the team behind the scenes.

D-rock likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He constructed a Championship team in both 2009 and 2018, just before the team was sold. It's like that's too long ago for fans to remember.

D-rock and Deckard like this.