1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey: Calm the eff down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 10, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

fairpoints.

however this season, were not seeing the PJ's/LMM's available. High iq defensive vets that play hard. That's extremely valuable to a championship team like hou and the defensive philosophy they had in place to reach another level. What realistic replacements are hou going to be able to acquire is a huge question atm

Much of the backlash is what seems to be the direction this team is headed. What looks to be signing an aging player, signing mcw, and then question marks after that. It's early yes but it certainly doesn't look for good for a team that has downgraded fresh off a finals run

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Well Said

Rocket River

Nook, DonKnock and HP3 like this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That Ryno contract is a mistake that Morey will readily admit, I'm sure. However, with each passing day, that same contract also becomes more and more valuable. Eventually, that's going to be a MAJOR piece as a $20M expiring deal. It's just going to take patience on our part.

And we'll have assets soon enough. We already have our own first round picks, plus Eric Gordon, plus some young talent that could potentially develop enough to reel in something.

I'm not saying things are hunky dory right now. I'm just saying give it time.

chievous minniefield and HP3 like this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All I know is every time we've had a team that actually contends, the very next year it is broken up. Now you tell me how that helps an organization?

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

to be fair houston hasn't had a team that actually was a realistic contender until this past year

6. Fyreball

I can certainly respect that. I'm not thrilled about the way this off-season has gone either. But I am willing to be patient, and wait things out. We as fans have a very limited view into what the long-term plan is. It takes a lot of blind faith, and hope. But, my GUESS would be that there is no way they would sign CP3 to that mega-deal only to be ok with taking a massive step back next season. They're working on SOMETHING. What that something is can be anybody's guess.

7. Fyreball

The last time we were in the WCF, we kept the same team and added Ty Lawson. Look how that worked out. Every season is its own animal, and we just have to be patient about this one.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That team with Dwert and Hardhead could have been with a few more tweaks.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

that team had no chance of beating GS in a 7 game series

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I understand about being patient but as it stands, if they lose Capela, they will again be 2+ years away. Like they were 2 years ago.

11. alethios

alethios Member

Morey: the drinks will be so much better without alcohol.
    People are panicking because it's like waiting for the right moment to ask a girl at the school dance to dance with you. However, slowly but surely all the pretty ones are getting asked by other guys, and all that's left are the girls no one wants to dance with.

12. HTM

HTM Member

Hey man, I'm with you.. I hope things improve but I'm just looking around the landscape of the league... our current roster... what FA are still available.. our cap situation and the assets we have .... things don't look very good.

I don't really see what the FO can do to turn it around for 2018/2019. I don't think we need to wait until April 2019 to recognize this situation is a big old turd sandwich.

13. Fyreball

That's why I always asked girls from other schools to go with me to dances. Plus, it was easier to hook up and not have a bunch of rumors flying around school the next day.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well I wouldn't go so far as to say this team is "broken up" but they did lose two guys that allowed it to play just enough defense to counterbalance MDA's offense heay scheme. Now the question becomes whether or not these guys can be replaced with players who can provide the same - if not better - level of performance that allowed the Rox to get to the WCF with a legitimate shot at beating GS. It's still July and things may not really shake out until Feb. But you had to see this coming when they went after CP3 who was going to demand a max contract like Harden. Paying that kind of money to two players plus the dead weight of Anderson's contract was always going to handicap the Rox this summer.

15. Know Your Role

Translation: Luc and Ariza were playoff trash and they fooled us with their regular season play. Yule C.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does not work in real life, there is only 1 out of 30-50 girls that has the potential to be a swan dressed like an ugly duckling.

Good work, Fyreball, good work.

17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

When you have two of the best playmakers of all time on the team - guys with limited offensive skills will reap the benefits. The comp to Shawn Livingston or even Iggy is a great example in that regard - dudes who can't shoot but that matters less because they play okay defense, and the elite offensive players around them get them easy shots regardless because of all the defensive attention the stars attract. Obviously MCW is not Livingston or Iggy but he is supposedly a good off the ball cutter which means if he plays good defense and gets his team a few easy buckets a game because of well timed cuts, then he will easily be worth a minimum contract. Morey is betting that in the right context, MCW is better than a replacement level player but we are getting him at replacement level player cost - it's a small thing but in terms of creating value out of every dollar you spend, it's a smart strategy.

Rashmon likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

livingston has a back to the basket game and a solid finisher around the rim. he also has a midrange jumper. Iggy makes teams pay and has done that for years. Your putting a finals mvp as a comparison to mcw. no way does that apply. MCW is in no way comparable to those two.

he is not a good player. this guy couldnt even be a rotational player on a bad team.

19. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets and Morey are more limited than most, and it is why we haven't seen a lot of movement.

Having said that, the Rockets do have avenues to replace Ariza and Moute.

All the Rockets need is a wing that can defend and hit threes at a rate of 34-35%.

There are a lot of them out there..... not all of these are going to be available, but at least some will........

CJ Miles, Tony Snell, Courtney Lee, Jae Crowder, Iman Shumpert, Thabo Sefolosha, DeMarre Carroll, Wilson Chandler, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, James Ennis, Nicholas Batum, Treveon Graham and Kent Bazemore.

If the Rockets sign a free agent to replace Moute (Graham/Ennis) and trade for another one, they are quite possibly back where they want to be.

It gets complicated, because they may need to deal Gordon to fill the starting SF spot, and then they need to possibly replace Gordon's production unless they plan on giving Gordon's shots to Anthony.

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta let things play out. DM's working it.(as Fyreball said) Besides, as to trade negotiations now or later, isn't this what would be said. It serves many purposes..mollifying the panicked hordes....is yet another. Time IS on our side. (RS) order of business here...assuming Melo to the next domino.

You said it. Just think of it as shakeout, before we move higher. : )

#100 Plowman, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    chievous minniefield likes this.