1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Built This Team - It's On Him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, May 9, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This stupid thread is on you.

2. Zergling

Zergling Member

Dumbest thing I've heard yet on the GARM. Nothing says you're a good GM quite like getting your team into cap hell and then having worst record in the league while being capped out.

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

FIRE MOREY! Apparently a playoff series win and getting a 2 seed isn't enough for the fans even though this is only our 2nd ever playoff series win since 1997

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is enough but this team has been flawed.

They have been wasting a lot more times. While Buford collects 5 championships, Morey has done nothing significant so far.

Because Morey has some sort of 'Job security' nobody urges him to do better in a limited timespan.

He is doing well. I give him that. But in the West good is not enough you have to follow up your good moves with great moves and another great move.

Nobody is waiting for you. Anthony Davis is fully developed and ready to take the West.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look Morey is the GM, he built this team, put the pieces together, it is his strategy they are implementing.

It is 100% on him....and I guarantee you that he knows and accepts that.

DD

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

you are right but I doubt Morey will take responsibility. Fans will give him a season pass every year. Morey is always going to have a maybe next time approach Or we need a couple more stars

7. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Morey is absolutely responsible for Dragic feeling unwanted.

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

At least Chuck Hayes knows how to play defense and keep improving his FT every year.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I am glad Morey was able to land us Harden, which in turn landed us Dwight, which in turn landed us Brewer and Smith. I am not so glad about the McHale signing, I do not believe he is the coach to get a chip. Yes you have to play with the hand you're dealt, and Bev and DMo getting injured made our hand less effective. I do not blame Morey for the players, but the coach extension. He has more power with McHale at the helm.

I would love to see a real coach with real pieces again (09 season) where we had a great chance of winning it all (Yao went down, couldn't help that). The lack of strategy on Offense and Defense from the coaching staff drives me insane when we play hero ball on offense and don't know how to properly rotate on defense.

I'm not a GM/Coach/Analytics expert, so I won't say I know what is best for this team or for basketball, I can only give my opinion. But Morey got us to borderline if not legit contenders without ever tanking. I think that's a great accomplishment on it's own. But success is measured in Championships, and that is the goal we all want to accomplish. So until that happens, anyone who runs the show will be a failure until we succeed.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Who the F is Rick Smith? Never heard of him before.

Do you mean Rik Smits?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

:grin:

Pay no attention. It's that stupid eggball sport. ;)

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

You can make a case that the top 6 teams in the NBA reside in the West. It's a bloodbath and good teams are getting eliminated early. The Rockets have had to build from nothing and put together what they have And made it to what are arguably the best 4 teams in basketball. If in the East they'd be favored to make the Finals. Remember when Les said that it wouldn't be a failure to get out of the first round. He said that because of this situation.

Anyway, Rockets have played like dirt, but you only have to win 4 before the other team does. Win tomorrow and they regain Home Court. Lose and you still have 3 games left. If you weren't around in 1994 or 1995, the media and fans absolutely killed the Rockets after the first two games of the second round, both years. I mean, the headline was "Choke City" and people wanted the team gutted. Point is, let's try to wait on passing blame until the Rockets are eliminated.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The same Isiah Thomas that shot 33% from field and 16% from the 3pt line in the playoffs?

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Isaiah Thomas had to be the top scoring option for a severely over-matched Boston team. Cleveland committed to shutting him down and he wasn't good enough-- and his teammates were not good enough-- to overcome that.

For the Rockets, Thomas would not be the top item on the opponent's scouting report and is unlikely to draw the kind of defensive attention committed to him by Cleveland. He would get much easier scoring opportunities.

15. dwhite

dwhite Member

Carl is 100% spot on....Thomas would be the player who averaged over 22 pts a game for the Celtics and could counter the damage that JJ Reddick has done to us in the playoffs. He is exactly the type of player we needed to take the pressure off Harden.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The team he built had Beverley and DMo on it.

17. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's more to do with coaching than anything else. This roster would still be a fantasy of any coaching staff in the basketball world. My only true disappointment is the capabilities of Josh Smith. I really thought he had a post game of some sort but in reality he's got no post game whatsoever which takes away from the prospect of signing him. But then again I never really followed Josh Smith's career and always assumed he had a traditional PF's game at or just a notch below Zack Randolph.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's really not, but you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of what coaches are capable of. You can only do so much with what you have, Popovich doesn't go "hey look, we have a spacing issue, let's replace Tiago with Baynes and see if that'll fix it", no he replaces him with Diaw, a completely different player who can provide spacing due to his skillset.

The same could be said of Dmo, of course he's not playing, we have 5 active centers/power forward, and not one, except the occasional Josh Smith game can be trusted to shoot outside 3 feet. There is really nothing at all any coach can do to fix our spacing issue, Morey tried to fix it last year with Bosh, Dmo improved and took up the slack, but then **** happened. Our coaches have done pretty well given how hamstrung our options really are.

#58 Aleron, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015
  19. malakas

malakas Member

He is responsible for getting Harden and Howard without tanking. So yeah.

He just didn't go all in this year. He could have but he decided not to. And to be frank even though most people live in the present and what you have done for me lately, I don't blame him. The rise of the cap in the next two seasons will be historical. The next two years won't be just any two years, they will determine the league's landscape for the next half decade and it will be the only opportunity for contenders like the Rockets to add max players.

20. hakeemthagreat

Well I got news for you. If Morey ain't tryna go all in, then hes wasting prime years of his best player all for "flexibility". All star players have a window. We can't sit around & play with our azzes. But Morey's biggest problem is his unwillingness to depart from Moreyball. That gimmick offense requires a gimmick coach with McHale is perfect for