1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and Jimmer Fredette

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rokman, May 17, 2011.

1. Rokman

Rokman Member

I remember recently where morey was doing a Q&A where he somehow mentioned his like for Jimmer Fredette though he did not mention his name due to the fact that he could get in trouble. The part of the article went as follows:

Jimmer Mania
    Who is his favorite NBA player?

“Mark Price, by a huge margin,” said Morey, who is from Cleveland.

This response turned comical though as Daryl then somehow managed to segue that answer into his all-too-honest analysis of BYU point guard Jimmer Fredette (despite intentionally not saying his name), a prospect that NBA teams will be looking at in the upcoming NBA Draft. Realizing he probably shouldn’t have done that, Morey laughed and then turned to me with the camera and said, “Leave that part out.” So alas, I’ll do just that."

http://rockets.clutchfans.net/1407/daryl-morey-qa/

Do y'all think Morey will try to trade up for Jimmer and if so, how high do you think he would be willing to trade up to and for who?

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Probably wont have to trade up, unless Utah takes him at 12.

3. T-Slack

T-Slack Member

The Suns will take him at 13, and plus we don't need him. We have two point men already and plenty of proven nba shooters.

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Jimmer will be nothing more than a decent 6th man in the NBA. Ill pass.

5. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

We need defense not Jimmer.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

We need the best basketball player available with the most potential, I would not mind Jimmer at 14 if there is little left

7. MikeMania

MikeMania Member

Seeing him play in the tournament and jacking up wild 3's when BYU still had a chance to come back was painful. I don't think he will be that great in the NBA honestly. He is definitely not better than any Rockets guards. Maybe better than Martin in driving to the basket, but I think Martin provides many more things than he does.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Do you realize he was playing alongside 4 nobodies???????

Fredettee will have one of the 10 best NBA careers of all the players in the 2011 draft.

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Would you say that JJ Redick is one of the 10 best in his draft class? Because Fredette is Redick V2.0 with less height.

The only way your logic works is if this is a poor draft class.

10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

That's not saying much.

But I don't think he will be the stereotypical white NBA failure, I like his defensive intensity he just needs to be consistent. I see no reason he can't be as good as a guy like Joe Johnson.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, if you look at J.J.'s draft class, I would say he's definitely had one of the ten best careers there, easily. In fact he might be in the top 6-8.

And this illustrates my point about the draft. 60 players are going to get drafted. Very few of them are going to have any significant NBA career. Yet, the top 30 players drafted are going to be paid guaranteed money and wind up on an NBA roster for at least 2 years. So, while Fredette may not have a spectacular superstar career in the NBA, would you rather draft a kid that will likely make a contribution or would you rather take flyers on a bunch of kids that haven't proven they have an NBA skillset??????

Fredette has an NBA skillset!!! Think about that kid playing point for the Miami Heat!!! If he gets drafted by them, he's likely to go down as the greatest 3-point shooter of all time, surpassing both Steve Kerr and Reggie Miller!! Oh, by the way, Steve Kerr....there's another player.....multiple rings, significant contributor to championship teams.....most people were saying he couldn't play in the league and stressing his limitations the same way they stressed J.J.'s lack of athleticism and size during the 2006 draft. Yet, it was abundantly clear that J.J. had an NBA skillset, a base of skills to work from that was already NBA ready.

Here's the thing. We all want to draft the next Dwight Howard/Kobe Bryant/DWade/Lebron James. But when you're sitting there on the draft board and there's no superstars out there, and you've butsted your tail to make a deal for a superstar and haven't been able to make one.......who you gonna pick man???? The smart GMs, the GMs that consistently have their teams pushing towards winning and getting better, they pick the player that is most likely to have the best NBA career. They don't gamble on some 200 pound 7-foot 19 year old that's never played any sort of basketball against any sort of NBA or NCAA or major pro league talent and hope they can turn him into the next Kevin Durant. Those GMs wind up in the lottery year after year after year complaining about how unfair the league is and how unlucky they are. The other GMs draft players that have at lest ONE NBA SKILLSET!

Once again, FREDETTE WILL HAVE A VERY GOOD NBA CAREER!

1 person likes this.
  12. da_juice

da_juice Member

Do not want.

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

I vote NO to Jimmer the guys is overrated IMO.

Much rather draft SF Tobias Harris with the 14th pick overall...

14. 3rdRingsAComin

Really? The fact that Joe Johnson is 6'8" with more athleticism. Joe Johnson is a perennial all-star now. I like Jimmer, but he will not be a perennial all-star as a 6'2" SG off the bench

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think you're way overgeneralizing. There are examples of gamble picks turning out very well and there are examples of the solid "NBA SKILLSET" type players turning out poorly.... and vice versa.

Look at JJ's draft. His college teammate Shelden Williams had a very "NBA SKILLSET" type game, but was a bust.

You may not be far off with regards to Jimmer overall. He should certainly at least have an NBA career, as opposed to only being on a roster for a few years because of draft position. But, I think generally it speaks to the weakness of this draft overall and the crapshot that is projecting how players will ultimately work out in the NBA.

16. Mr. Space City

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Boy, You're smoking some POWERFUL ****. Jimmer as good as Joe Johnson? Johnson an all-star player who is the best player on a good Atlanta squad. Wow I don't see that in Jimmer. And I like Jimmer's game.

18. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Atone point I would have loved this pick. Then after being enamored with this kids stats? I realized I fell into the morey trap of loving his stats. I know the Rockets not only need a player. Also that player needs to have size and or athleticism to add to this team which is missing that. So I am not gonna fall into that trap again. Thats what we need. Jimmer brings neither and little to no gurantee he translates any of those stats to the NBA enough to gamble on going even smaller and less athletic for the sake of stats once again.

19. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Kings fans wan't to take him at #7! I'm so glad my fellow Rockets fans know Basketball. :cool:

20. verse

verse Contributing Member

Jimmer is an excellent final piece to a champion team, one that needs a shooter and a leader. Miami, Atlanta, LA, et al would do well to take him. Unfortunately, we are searching for the centerpiece, the lynchpin, the keystone to lead us to the promised land. What we need is what Jimmer needs...someone to feed off of. Taking Jimmer, with our lotto pick, makes no sense without that piece in place, or on the way. Truth be told, I expect Jimmer to drop into the late first round, since others will be looking the same way.