1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey and his risky maneuvers.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Jul 9, 2014.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Let me start off by saying I am the biggest Morey supporter out here. I think he is probably one of the best GM's in basketball. But like every GM he is prone to make mistakes. Letting Chandler become a RFA was one of them.

I remember a few years back he decided to let Goran Dragic walk for nothing based upon a player option in his contract. This was a huge blow. Dragic is now an elite PG in the NBA with upside to become even better. He is making around 8 million per year which is a bargain.

Drafting for upside he decided not to draft a guy like Kawhi Leonard. Instead he drafted back then what was described as a poor man carmelo anothony in marcus morris. That was obviously a terrible pick and many after the draft were scratching their head wondering why they didn't pick Leonard. Lo and behold Leanard is now a Finals MVP and probably one of the best perimeter defenders in the league. I can only imagine if he was our starting SF.

And now this. Letting Parsons become a RFA was flat out a mistake. Regardless of whether you sign him to that max contract or you let him walk there is no other way to slice it. Either way it hurts the Rockets. We could have had the guy for another year at around 1 million dollars. I still do not see the reasoning behind this maneuver and am puzzled by it the more and more I think about it.

In any case I trust Morey and will let him do the hard work of being an NBA GM but there are times when even our beloved Morey makes huge mistakes. This happens to be one of those times.

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Maybe you should have waited until everything plays out before you made this thread.

1 person likes this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

the rockets are bigger gamblers than Jordan at the height of his addiction.

1 person likes this.
  4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This.

5. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

this is true, but he has a point.

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Cuban lobbed a grenade into Morey's war room. Lol

7. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

This is unfair. Why did Chandler decide to sign so early.. Why couldn't he wait until after Lebron made his decision. Why was he such in a hurry? I feel like he betrayed Daryl and the Rockets.

8. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Waited for what exactly? Either we sign Parsons to the max or he walks free to Dallas. There is no other option.

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Royce White, Terrence The Squid Williams, failing to sign Goran Dragic, Joey Dorsey, Marcus Morris over Leonard and letting CP25 into RFA a year to early.

These are the biggest stains on his resume so far. I love Morey but he hasn't been perfect. Our team is only this good because he got lucky for basketball reasons. We could have been stuck with NENE and Pau Gasol .

1 person likes this.
  10. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Morey gambled and might lose but the smarter thing was to let Parsons be a RFA this year instead of being an unrestricted FA next year. At least the Rockets still have some sort of control over where Parsons plays next year even if the price isn't what they were hoping for.

11. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

what? They could have traded him at the deadline if they knew they couldn't pay him. If they don't match right now, they lose him for nothing.

1 person likes this.
  12. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Don't forget letting Adelman walk. Signing Lin to the ridiculous contract. And overpaying Ariza

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

this times a million

14. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I didn't make it clear, I meant they could have kept him till next year and traded him at the deadline if they knew they couldn't match.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

you gotta bet big to win big, son

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Parsons is not indispensable.

Do you think Parsons would continue to play this hard if we did not pay him? I don't think so. You have to pay him now or else his motivation takes a dive. He's only human.

He's a bargain at $1M but his production is not worth Harden figures. Sorry, DAL, you're gonna find out the hard way.

17. DREAM ON!

DREAM ON! Member

If it doesnt work out, just turn toyota center into an observatory. Then Morey can gaze at the stars 24/7

-i hope it works out though! In morey i trust

18. blunto

blunto Member

OP is gambling by making this thread before the dust settles. Oh, the irony.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not too early. Insofar as declining his option was a play to get him on a reasonable contract, it blew up in Morey's face. He screwed the pooch on this one. If Bosh comes and he matches on Parsons, he'll have salvaged a bad situation.

20. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

I think the gamble was fine, the market for Chandler would not be this high if it were not for the hoarding of cap space that has taken place and the perfect storm that is the wake of Lebron and Carmelo holding the league hostage while they prance around collecting their diva points "I just want to be wanted".

So now those teams that have cap space are driving up contracts of mid-level talent at best, just because.

And Mark Cuban is simply going in with Fegan to be spiteful. He has hoarded cap space for 3 seasons now and have struck out all 3 years on getting that next big name talent to Dallas.