1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Yao Video Footage

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jun 23, 2002.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Clutch, first off the video is just awesome! I already was in favor of Ming but seeing that video made me even more excited. I already posted my thoughts about the video earlier in this thread, but again, what impressed me the most was how much Ming was down in the low block. I always got the impression for articles that I read that he was more of a high post player. Seeing Ming in the low block and seeing what he did down there was awesome!

Secondly, how very cool that Francis was able to see the very same video we all saw. I am sure all of us here were hoping that that might happen. That it might change his mind about Ming. You said that Francis seeing that video left him very impressed and excited about him. Very cool! Ya know, I always stated that those that are skeptical about Ming just need to SEE him play. The more information that Francis and the team know about Ming the better prepared they are to make an "informed" opinion about Ming. Glad to see Francis more "informed."

I really am looking forward to Ming as a Rocket!

Chris

2. rock

rock Member

That was a wonderful video. I'm pretty hyped about having Ming. The way I look at it is... drafting Ming is not as big a risk as not drafting Ming. All I see is upside. Hopefully he stays injury free so he'll have all year to develop and I'm sure that he'll be stellar.

3. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Clutch,

great job as the middle man. i don't know how you worked that info up to the top, but it is impressive to say the least. If you had help, thank them for us also.

i agree that once everyone gets a good chance to see him in action that it will change a lot of views, and help get most everybody on board.

all the skepticism is good, but when it comes down to it the "pics" don't lie !

4. paperweight

paperweight Member

His hook shot is definitely reminiscent of Jabar. I watched those Laker's teams during his last three years or so and so much wanted someone to take him out - it was that automatic.

What is impressive is his foot work in the low post. His little mini Dream Shake is a sure shot in the NBA as is his hook.

I don't know if I missed it but whom ever put together the tape was definitely trying to showcase his natural abilities. What I saw was a technically sound, but not perfect, player that has a lot of natural ability. At his young age, technical soundness comes from coaching but also being coachable. That is a good sign.

I've been reading posts for a while, (reading much of what everybody else has) and have been: Interested in Ming, Anti Ming, interested in Ming, semi-pro Ming, interested in Ming, got to have Ming, second coming of Hakeem and Jabar, have to have Ming.

No matter the player, you can never fall in love with a player to the determent of the team. This guy may come close to breaking that rule, when considering age, height, and openness to coaching.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is exactly how I feel. My opinion on drafting Ming has been all over the board, but at this point I feel that not drafting Ming is a bigger risk than drafting Ming. I think the Yao Ming of that video fits the Rockets perfectly. I often think about the production Francis is able to get out of Cato and how much more production Francis will be able to get out of Ming--a center who can e effetive virtually anywhere on the floor.

I don't get the feeling that the Rockets brass are loving Ming over the team (based on what little info I've read). I think they, like many people, see adding Ming to Francis and Mobley is the final step in not just making the playoffs, but in establishing a dynasty.

6. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Btw, I've already seen a Yao play in the CBA, thus the clip basically re-enforce my positive thoughts about him.

Its good to hear that Francis has seen some footages of Yao and getting very impressed & excited! :)

Hopefully we can now lay both anti-Yao and anti-Francis to rest.

-G'day-

7. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Thanks as always Clutch.

I do have to get this straight... Francis was pissed and it took 3 minutes and 43 seconds of seedy video from cameras left behind by KGB field officers to convince him that Ming is the real deal? Clutch, did he really threaten to not resign were we to take Ming? Would he do something like that on an obviously uninformed opinion?

I should say... I'm glad that things are more kosher in Rockets land... but Steve seriously sounds like he has a psychological problem or two.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

thanks for the update on steve, clutch, but i'm sure it will be overlooked by the so many that want him out. it's good to hear though and rests my mind a bit more. either way though, francis backing or not, we have to get ming over here.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

You have it a little off. There was insider info that he was pissed and wanted to trade the pick, but never did anybody claim that Steve was not gonna re-sign. That was conjured up by Steve haters in here.

10. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

I was very happy to think about getting Ming before....but now I'm stoked. The Rockets promo video was awesome - I can't wait to see it on TV - could it get broadcast locally after the draft or something? That would rock - and drive up ticket sales I bet. I'm tempted to buy season tickets already.

11. paperweight

paperweight Member

Jeff - 100% agree. I don?t think the management has fallen in love with Ming as to over looking the team. I stated that more on the side of those that are looking at a Francis versus Ming thing. Neither one is more important than the team. Together we are looking at a potential dynasty. All this talk about Francis is pissed and Ming wants a team with unity! For heavens sake, we haven?t even drafted the poor guy and we?ve got a full blown feud.

That has always been my opinion ? it?s more dangerous not to take Ming, as it is to take him. After seeing the video, I?m 100% convinced it?s the right thing to do.

12. paperweight

paperweight Member

Jeff - 100% agree. I don't think the management has fallen in love with Ming as to over looking the team. I stated that more on the side of those that are looking at a Francis versus Ming thing. Neither one is more important than the team. Together we are looking at a potential dynasty. All this talk about Francis is pissed and Ming wants a team with unity! For heavens sake, we haven't even drafted the poor guy and we've got a full blown feud.

That has always been my opinion - it's more dangerous not to take Ming, as it is to take him. After seeing the video, I'm 100% convinced it's the right thing to do.

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Damn, tell me about it. That video is awesome! Especially when all the grapics and effects com in towards the end. If any of you guys haven't downloaded this video, get it now! Its so freakin' cool! [​IMG]

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ya know, for all the Steve Francis hating going on I am a bit surprised that this information that Clutch gave last night hasn't gotten as much of a response! I would have thought this thread would have been on fire with tons of post about the news Clutch got.

I guess bashing is more fun?

Chris

15. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>There was insider info that he was pissed and wanted to trade the pick, but never did anybody claim that Steve was not gonna re-sign</i>

Huh? Did you not read the TroyBarros claim that if we drafted Yao Steve would sign with the Bulls or Knicks?

16. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

Great video!

Hope everything is OK on the China front and then Rockets can pick Ming #1.

17. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

just saw most of the video, and yeah, I'm impressed too.

what really stood out to me was that baseline spin for the reverse jam. Even though I heard he was quick, I didn't think he'd have the mobility to do that kind of a move with his frame. I was thinking that IF he was a jumpshooter he could be neutralized just by playing him tight with a quick big man, but after seeing that clip ... any big man(quick or no) who plays him too tight is going to be burned by that spin. Too easy.

18. Tha Jay

Tha Jay Member

Great Video!!!

I always been Pro-Ming. This video just confirms what I said before. The man has alot of skills for a 7'5" guy: shooting, passing, blocking and good body coordination. After seeing this video, he also dribbles a little and is more aggressive than I thought. How about that hook shot!! Still needs a little work, but I am sure CD will work with him. If he can develop that hook shot, it will be hard to defend.

Can't Wait!!!