1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Army Recruiting Woes [Not D&D]

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Turbo, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Despite the title, I don't believe this discussion warrants being placed into the D&D forum, however, if the mods feel as if it does need to be moved, I won't object.

So my sister-in-law, who is just about to turn twenty, decided to join the US Army about two months ago. She went though the whole process of being recruited and getting all pertinent information about joining. Her family, along with myself, was opposed to the idea from the start, but she's pretty head-strong and decided to go through with it, regardless of what we had to say about it. Over the past few months, the notion that she is joining has been slowly gaining support from those who had initially opposed the idea. We figured that she will be learning a valuable skill-set and it will eventually set her on a path for success that she just isn't on as of yet.

Our initial problem with her looking into joining the Army was that she is extremely gullible and naive - in short, she can be talked into doing anything. We were obviously concerned because it is well-known that Army recruiters will say damn near anything to get someone to enlist and we were afraid that she would be 'talked-in' to joining, instead of coming to her own decision. Sure enough, after speaking with the recruiter several times, she decides to go for it and now she's scheduled to ship out on August 3rd for basic training.

Not being familiar with the recruiting process, I had assumed that the several phone calls she was receiving from her recruiter were just to check up on how she was doing and where she was. However, these several phone calls that she was accepting from her recruiter eventually blossomed into a relationship - one that is totally inappropriate from my point-of-view. Well, this weekend, my sister-in-law visits and is wanting an opportunity for the recruiter to come and stay with us. On top of this, I find out all sorts of details about their relationship that I honestly did not want to know. The only thing I know about this guy (the recruiter) is that he talked her into joining the Army and was married when he had initially recruited my sister-in-law; oh, and has a kid with his ex. Supposedly, he is recently divorced and is telling my sis that he 'loves her.' Obviously, I'm not very happy about the situation considering I wasn't really wanting her to join-up in the first place, and am now considering contacting somebody within the recruiter's office and inform them of what is going on.

I guess my question for those with knowledge on the BBS is, what are the ramifications of a recruiter having a totally inappropriate relationship with an individual that they had recruited. Who gets in trouble? Is there anything that can be done?

2. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Swapping spouses seems pretty common in the Army. My sister-in-law starts a relationship with one of her husbands friends while he is in the process of getting a divorce. Then she servers her husband divorce papers while he is on leave from Iraq and moves in with the other guy even before his divorce is final. Both have children from the previous marriage so now you have two sets of kids living together and neither parent is technically single at this point.

My opinion is if she wanted a military career, avoid the Army and look into one of the other branches of the U.S. military.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

It is completely inappropriate. The UCMJ no likey stuff like that at all. I would contact the recuiting hub (not that office) for that region and see who you can talk to.