1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moore scared for life, flees RNC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Faos, Aug 31, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Figures Moore wouldn't show up the night Bush sends The Terminator to speak.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000621811

GOP 2004: Moore Won't Return to Madison Square Garden

By Joe Strupp

Published: August 31, 2004

NEW YORK Following all the commotion last night, Michael Moore will not be returning to Madison Square Garden for the Republican National Convention, E&P has learned. According to editors at USA Today, which is publishing his daily column this week, Moore told them that he was choosing not to return again.

However, they said he would continue to write his daily column and they stressed that in no way did they second-guess their decision to have him write the commentary.

Last month, Ann Coulter, who had been hired by USA Today to write a column at the Democratic National Convention, quit after the editors requested many changes in her first submission.

After entering the Garden Monday night with USA Today credentials, Moore was criticized by Sen. John McCain in his speech, setting off prolonged boos and taunts in the arena.

"We had hoped we would be able to put Moore in place where he could actually listen to speeches and not disrupt anything," Ken Paulson, USA Today editor, told E&P today. "The idea was not to put him in the line of sight while giving him the opportunity to observe. Now Moore doesn't plan to return to the convention. I think he saw the down side of his attending. We will have the four days of his column and I hope people will take time to read what he wrote.

"We never want to be the story. Ann Coulter tired of our editing suggestions and she quit," Paulson added. "We are just a newspaper trying to be balanced day in and day out."

Paulson said the paper, from the start, declined to request a floor pass for Moore, knowing that would likely set off tumult.

Owen Ullmann, the paper's deputy editorial page editor, said "I was not surprised that he would attract attention but was surprised by the extent of the media frenzy. Regrettably the security people ushered him into an area that caused a media frenzy." Now, he added, "it's Moore's call on how he plans to cover it."

2. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

That is a lie. I watched it.

That is a bold faced lie. He was not criticized. Nor was he booed. Yes, McCain was cheered at the jab, but Moore was not booed.

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

what is your point :confused:

4. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

That Rush, among many others on the right, is a liar.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? That what Faos posted was a lie. He didn't say Faos lied, just his source.

6. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

And Faos has a habit of doing that. He doesn't outright lie, just throws out innuendo and half-truths to lamely make some convoluted point.

Sort of like a certain president.

7. mc mark

Not so fast there cowboy!

Michael Moore Plans Return to Convention

NEW YORK - Filmmaker Michael Moore said he will return to the Republican National Convention where delegates roundly booed his presence on opening night.

Moore is covering the convention this week as an opinion columnist for USA Today and arrived at Madison Square Garden in time for Sen. John McCain's primetime speech on Monday night.

When McCain alluded to Moore's anti-Bush documentary "Fahrenheit 9/11" delegates began chanting and booing in the direction of the filmmaker, who was in the media section of the convention hall.

"I now know what the Christians probably felt like walking into the Coliseum," Moore said Tuesday in an interview with The Associated Press.

Moore, who seemed to relish the tumult, said he would return despite the chilly reception "because I'm here to cover the convention and I'm here to write about what I see."

Moore's presence attracted attention from the beginning of his arrival.

According to Mark Benoit, Moore's spokesman, it took Moore and his group almost 45 minutes to get through security checkpoints because of the throng of reporters and television cameras that followed him.

At one point, police officers refused credentialed reporters access into the press stands where Moore was sitting.

"I knew he'd be a celebrity but I was surprised by the extent of both the media coverage and the security reaction," said Owen Ullmann, Moore's USA Today editor. "It created more of a disruption than was intended."

Ullmann initially said that Moore would not be returning to Madison Square Garden. But he later said, in the end, the columnist has "to speak for himself."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&u=/ap/20040831/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_michael_moore

8. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You guys didn't hear Moore get booed? How could you have missed it?

Where did I lie?

9. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Moore definitely got booed. It eventually turned into a "4 more years" chant, but there's no question the crowd let him hear it when McCain referenced him in his speech.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

McCain did criticize Moore although it was only in passing. He made some scant reference to a poorly-researched film and named Moore. Moore got booed and stood up and raised his arm in some kind of Triumphant Bath.

After the tumult, McCain said: ~"That line worked so well, I think I'll repeat it..." And he did. More of the same.

It was all very good natured.

11. mc mark

Thank you for proving my point.

12. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Really, Michael? Did you know FOR A CERTAINTY that you were about to have your entrails ripped out by a lion or tiger? Did you know FOR SURE that you would be forced into an activity that would lead to your death?

Thinking something and knowing something are two different things.

I think not, Michael. SHUT UP. :mad:

13. mc mark

Oh, calm down already. :p

;)

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's called a metaphor, and is a literary device.

15. IROC it

It's actually called making light of a grave situation in history, much like that Egyptian columnist did about the holocaust.

It's called further polarizing the nation.

It's called a snide remark aimed at the right.

It's called subtle, passive aggressive, intolerance.

It's called disrespect.

Something far different, and much less innocent, than mere metaphor.

He could have simply said "Now I THINK I know how..." and it would be metaphor. There is a major difference.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

He could have simply said that, but instead he used a metaphor, and hoped that people would be able to get it. If somebody doesn't understand that, it's not Moore's fault. I don't think Moore should dumb down his writing because some folks don't understand literary conventions. Perhaps those people should elevate their reading.

I'm a Christian and felt no disrespect whatsoever from the remark.

As far as further polarizing the nation, why are you complaining? That's the GOP strategy for this campaign. We've seen their negative website compared to Kerry's site that actually talks about future plan. We've seen the Bush campaign publicize actually changing our constitution to ban gay marriage(polarizing issue) try to portray one side as bad liberals or out of the mainstream while not talking about issues, and talk about hollywood values as opposed to mainstream values. That is polarizing, and trying to create a divide. So I'm surprised that you don't like that kind of politics.

17. IROC it

This coming from a guy whose username says "Smart PG/intellectually engaging film". :D

There is no dumbing down needed when reading an idiot. Moore says exactly what he intends to. It was not his writing either. It was a quote.

Do you understand "quote" FB?

Or do I need to dumb it down and say it like this? It is what he spoke with his mouth, not what he wrote with his pen.

mmkay?

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

IROC it, stop embarrassing yourself.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes it was a quote. He shouldn't dumb down his speech because some people can't understand metaphors. It's an analogy to a intentionally exaggerated example. That's the purpose of his quote.

Whether he spoke it from his mouth or wrote it with a pen doesn't change what it is.

You can argue about the fact that he said it instead of wrote it, but it doesn't change the substance.

20. IROC it

He's mocking an actual event in history perpetrated against fellow Christians and you're feeling "no disrespect?"

About as telling as Kerry, the war hero, turning coat and testifying to the senate against fellow soldiers.

It runs in your party huh?

If you take offense to my fruit inspection here, then you must be a hypocrit... also a party standard. :rolleyes: