1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moon: Ryan says states should have discretion on medical mar1juana

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Sep 8, 2012.

1. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/07/paul-ryan-mar1juana-legalization_n_1866180.html

-In an interview with Colorado station KRDO-TV, Republican vice presidential nominee Paul Ryan says he believes it's up to the states to decide whether to legalize medical mar1juana.

"My personal position on these issues has been let the states decide what they want to do with these things," he explains. "This is something that is not a high priority of ours."

Voters in Colorado will decide whether to legalize medical mar1juana this November with Amendment 64 on the ballot.

According to KRDO-TV, Ryan made clear that he "doesn't believe" in the effort, but he nevertheless feels the issue should be reconciled at the state level.

HuffPost's Ryan Grim recently reported on GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney's position on legalizing medical mar1juana:

Campaigning in New Hampshire during the GOP primary, Mitt Romney was asked on several occasions whether he supported medical mar1juana. He became visibly frustrated.
    "I have the same position this week I had last week when you asked the question," he said, before arguing fairly loosely that medical mar1juana should be banned because it might lead to broader mar1juana legalization, which might in turn lead pot smokers to try hard drugs.

"The entryway into our drug culture for our young people is mar1juana," Romney said. "mar1juana is the starter drug. And the idea of medical mar1juana is designed to help get mar1juana out into the public marketplace and ultimately lead to the legalization of mar1juana overall. And in my view, that's the wrong way to go."

Romney suggested his questioner approach Democrats instead and promised to fight legalization. "I know there are some on the Democratic side of the aisle that'd be happy to get in your campaign," he said. "But I'm opposed to it, and if you elect me president, you're not going to see legalized mar1juana. I'm going to fight it tooth and nail."​

Ryan and Romney may differ in their posture toward medical mar1juana legalization, but it's worth noting that President Barack Obama has been no ally to advancing the issue. Under the Obama administration, the federal government has taken action to crack down on dispensaries in states like Colorado and California.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

So basically under a Romney administration it would be exactly the same as it is today. What difference does it make what Paul Ryan's stance is on the issue? The guy he's running with for President said he's against it and would "fight it tooth and nail." Another enlightening post.

3. ILoveTheRockets

Most people first start drinking liquor and that leads to people smoking mar1juana. If we want to be truthful. So why aren't they trying to ban liquor again? Oh Yeah, that's right

4. Sooner423

Sooner423 Member

His answer to everything is that it should be handled on the state level.

5. mc mark

mc mark Member

I think it should be handled on the neighborhood level. We need more George Zimmermans.

6. Steve_Francis_rules

I think for a lot of issues, it's really the best answer. It gives people more options about the type of area they want to live in, and it gives other parts of the country a chance to see the broader impact and unintended consequences of making some of these change.

7. Dubious

Dubious Member

I think it should be decided on the personal level.

2 people like this.
  8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I like how he says the States should have discretion in legalizing medical mar1juana. What about just mar1juana? Does this imply that they shouldn't have discretion in de-criminalizing mar1juana not for medical purposes. Frankly, I think medical mar1juana is a joke. Why don't people just admit they like to smoke pot?

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

basso, what is the point of your OP? I know it's against your nature to say so, but why don't you give it a try this time. Are you FOR or AGAINST legalization of medical mar1juana?

10. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

Might as well just go the city-state route.

11. basso

basso Member
    Supporting Member

My position is the same as Clarence Thomas'.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Forget Clarence Thomas. Just say right here what your position is. Quit playing dodgeball.

13. across110thstreet

Medical mar1juana is really potent mar1juana.

Quit beating around the medical mar1juana bush and just legalize it.

14. PinoyRocket

PinoyRocket Member

that's perfectly a politically correct statement.

if it works in CA, it might not work in NJ. yikes!

15. HombreDeHierro

I think Romney is saying he's going to "fight it tooth and nail" because he wants to keep those people on board with his campaign...

but he is a businessman, and when he sees the amount of revenue the government is going to generate he'll be down to legalize and regulate.

money is his "God"

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Romney doesn't give a damn about the amount of money the govt. takes in. Look at his budget. It's a far larger deficit than Obama has run.

17. Dubious

Dubious Member

18. Nook

Nook Member

Repped....

19. Nook

Nook Member

20. mc mark

mc mark Member

Isn't this what Romney did yesterday on ACA? Tell a national audience one thing and have his campaign (quietly) retract?

Seems to be a pattern with these guys.