1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monty Williams doesn't think this draft is deep

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by HMMMHMM, May 21, 2012.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2012/05/upcoming_nba_draft_considered.html

Sorry coachbadlee. No second round stars for you :p

2. jogo

jogo Member

That's fine for him to think that. Trade us your 4th or 10th draft pick if you don't think there's much depth to this draft.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Monty's agenda is to promote the value of his 4th slotted pick. The pick is less valuable if the draft is deep and you can get good players later in the draft. :)

Anyhow, do folks really know how good a draft is ahead of time? Take Monty's example, I doubt anyone saw Ginobili at 52 coming. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been drafted at 52-- even the Spurs would have likely moved up to make sure they get him. Also, the draft talk in the media before the 2003 draft was whether Darko has an outside shot of taking the #1 spot from Lebron. Hell, Pat Riley even had to be talked into drafted D.Wade instead of Chris Kaman.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Kinda idiotic to say it's not deep because there are no Brons, Melos in the top or a Ginobili at #52.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Good call Monty, good call. :)

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Talk about a full Monty.:rolleyes: Full of s***!

8. cod

cod Member

IIRC other GMs including Morey? have said the same about this draft a few months ago.

9. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

and i agree with him

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree with him. The lottery will have some good players in it. Pick 30 this year is as valuable as a pick 30 in a random year.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Why does it matter? His team has a 50% chance of winning the lottery anyway- it's between the Hornets and the Nets.

1 person likes this.
  12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

1-5 range: Unless Drummond is picked up here, I can't see any extreme busts to be found here. Barnes could be a disappointment.

6-10: Crapshoot. Players with alot of potential but aren't as nba ready as the top 5 will drafted here. Drummond, Henson, Jones, J.Lamb, and Rivers may not amount to anything great, if anything at all.

11-15: Solid to above-average role players (Marshall, Zeller, Lilliard, Sullenger) can be found here unless they slide up in the 6-10 region.

16-30: I think this is most interesting portion of the draft. I think there's possibly one all-star caliber player in this portion of the draft and 2-4 solid role players.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Hey Monty!

:p

Lakers Jim Buss:

On the possibility of trading into the first round of the draft:

"Me personally I haven’t seen anything that I would go after to move up in the draft. ... I haven’t seen anything except for the No. 1 pick, and of course [the Hornets are] not going to give that up."

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Good call! Now we know why he felt that way.

15. Pete the Cheat

funny to think..if someone had eaten Okafur's contract at the deadline and snagged this pick, would the Nets be picking #1?

16. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I thought about that too, after the lottery. Was it their pick they were offering, or Minnesota's? I can't remember. But if it isn't rigged, who knows, maybe Anthony Davis is a future Rocket, but hindsight is everything. I was all for the Okafor deal for 1 of their 1st rounders.

17. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I would've done that deal as well, its similiar to the way the Cavs got Kyrie Irving. Ah well hindsight.

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

This draft is very deep. When you have a Fab Melo projected to be picked at 24, you know there are a lot of talents to choose from. But I agree with him that there is no Lebron James, or anyone remotely close to his level of talent, in it. So it's a great year to have multiple 1st round picks instead of just 1 high lottery pick.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

20. cod

cod Member

That's the point, only one franchise player in this draft. From no.2 onwards, they are just "nice players", as Chad Ford calls them. No other players with superstar potential.