1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Montrezl is Putting on a Clinic Out There

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ziggy, Dec 19, 2016.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody cares about his shoes dude Harrell sees like 10 mins of PT most people who arent Rox fans dont even know his name much less what shoes he wears

2. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

What? Even if every pair of shoes he bought cost $300, It's still only 25k for all 82 games, which is pocket change, even if you only get a minimum contract every year.

Lmao. Harden wears addidas to save money. You can't make this up.

3. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

uhh what no its not. in terms of what? sales? not even close. but all the resellers and the people who like to pay ridiculous resell prices have seemed to gravitate towards Adidas so I'll give them that lol

you got to give it to kanye. nobody gave a damn about them until they signed him

4. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Daaaamn Daniel!

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Everyday Nike is losing their grip on the market. Nike had a huge part of the market so of course they still own most of it but they're losing their appeal. Adidas is capitalizing on their boost technology with the NMD, YZY, Ultraboost lines and they are making more lines in 2017. Adidas is going to continue to take Nikes share and we'll see just how much. Nike hasn't done anything worthwhile shoe wise in a long time. Maybe their Hyperadapt but it's a $750 shoe. They just keep re-releasing Jordan retros for higher prices with worst quality from the generation before. Kobe and kd line is meh. Lebrons latest shoe you can't wear off the court. People prefer lifestyle shoes now and don't wear basketball shoes off the court as much anymore. So yes adidas has been killing it.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Yes, adidas is killing it. But to say they are killing Nike is hilarious. If you want to compare numbers, Adidas made $877M in Q1 of 2016 in the United Staes while Nike made $3.74B. That's not even close. Adidas is not a threat. If you want to go back to last year, UA was #2 behind Nike, not Adidas. That's not exactly killing Nike.

And you are completely wrong about the quality of retro jordans. All the 1s from this year, the remastered OG versions like III, IV, V, XII and even the recent XI Space Jam have much better quality than their previous releases. Yes they raised the prices but they also upped the production numbers, essentially taking away resellers profits.

Adidas is definitely on the right path. Picking up lots of steam. The kids will tell you Adidas has the coolest shoes of 2016. But they will have to do much more than sell limited edition sneakers to even be able to get a chance to "kill" Nike. Realize that Jordan more than likely sold a million pairs of Space jam XIs priced at $220. What general release Adidas sneaker has done numbers like that?

7. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Killling as in taking the stranglehold that Nike had. Yes they still sell units but how many of the same retros are they gonna do? Like I said, Nike still has majority but they're losing more of the market share as days go by. When have they done any good designs lately? Space Jam is a joke, just hashing the same thing over and over and now they're doing retros quickly before than ever since they ran out of ideas. I would hope this Space jams and 1's are better since their quality was almost on par with counterfeit shoes. Nike is still trying to push basketball shoes when lifestyle shoes is what people want to wear.

Ok and where is UA and Adidas now? 2017 Adidas is going to be even stronger and take more of the market.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

"Killling as in taking the stranglehold that Nike had" thats not what killing means nor accurate because Nike still has a stranglehold on the market. Why does it matter if they are still selling retros, if they still sell? Its not hurting them at all. And because you don't like the designs mean they are doing bad? Lol ok and guess what, the counterfeits for Adidas are just as good. Not sure what's that suppose to mean. And not every design for Adidas is a hit either.

The fact that you think all they are doing is pushing basketball shoes (not true) means you either aren't paying that much attention to Nike or biased towards Adidas. I like Adidas too, i own a couple 350s, a pair of Harden Vol 1 and have had Tmacs in the past. Boost is nice. But the over hype of the brand is ridiculous and unnecessary.

9. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I've also seen Harrell at a retro game store. We spoke a bit and kept telling me how he just needed a chance. I'm happy he got it.

kevtse and heypartner like this.
  10. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Ok let me make it simple for you. Go look at adidas stock prices in the past year. It went from $80 to $140 in the past year. Now look at the decline of the stock prices from Nike over the past year.

My counterfeit argument was in he past the retros were trash and the quality is poor. Hype is also what drives brand. What did you think drove Nike? It was basketball shoes from Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, and KD. Consumers have changed their taste in what they like to wear and Nike is stuck with no good lines or designs. You're like Barkley who doesn't adapt and think analytics is dumb

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

well, like a typical fanboy you think i'm crapping on them because we have disagreements. you act like basketball shoes are useless. did you know that people still buy basketball shoes to play basketball in, right? those sales still count. the adidas basketball line is a big part of the reason adidas has done so well this year. Even the adidas classic line has help contributed to their success. You can spout all you want about how consumers don't want retros or basketball shoes anymore but they still sell. How?

its no point in arguing anymore because you look at it from a small picture. you think people only buy retro jordans, nmd, ultraboost or yeezys lol. When in reality, there is a market out there that doesn't care about all those or what some sneaker blogs say. And in the numbers that matter, the financial fight (hah and you say i think analytics is dumb), Adidas is not killing Nike. And that's ok. It's not a knock on Adidas either.

12. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Did you look at the stock prices of both companies in the past year like I told you? That is enough to validate everything I said and yes adidas killed Nike this past year. You're the one who is looking at the small picture and not the long run. if this continues, Adidas will be the one with the stranglehold on athletic footwear.

Here is an article on the competition from September, and it's gotten even worst since then, and will continue to get worst unless Nike can get some new designers. Nike's head designers moved onto Adidas and that's when Adidas shifted their focus on aesthetics and technology.

[​IMG]

http://www.businessinsider.com/adidas-and-under-armour-are-challenging-nike-2016-9

#32 khanhdum, Dec 20, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  13. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

It's not being about a fanboy but it's just the truth. I used to be a big Nike sneakerhead but it's been trash for a while now.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

How many people do you know spend 25k on shoes they just wear 1 time? Its never "only" one thing, if you're the type of person who would blow 25k on something unnecessary like 82 different pairs of shoes then its more than likely Harrell is already living way beyond his means. Harrell as a rookie is making just 1M this year, take out taxes and agent fees he's probably left with half that amount. 500k isnt enough to guarantee a comfortable lifestyle if he suffers a career ending injury so I dont see how blowing so much money on **** you dont really need is a good idea.

Btw I didnt say Harden wears Addidas to save money I said he saves money because he wears shoes provided by Addidas, you need to touch up on basic reading comprehension skills. That 25k he saves on shoes allows him to spend more money on strippers and booze, somethung which provides him with more economic utility than shoes.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just checked. There's no Adidas nuthugger meme out there on the internet. :(

16. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

to further prove the facts that adidas killed nike this year.

From an article today on Yahoo finance: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/adida...r-192423603.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw

Adidas shares are up 56% this year. Nike is down 17%, Skechers down 17%, Under Armour down 37%.

Fox Business called 2016 “Nike’s forgettable year.” For Adidas, it was unforgettable.

And the link for Fox Business article on how it's on a big downswing:
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2016/12/20/nikes-forgettable-year-winds-down.html

a paragraph from the Fox business article which states exactly what I said in the shift of style that consumer wants.

So yea, you don't have any facts based on your statements and pretty much just speaking like you know what you are talking about, but Nike is falling hard and they haven't adapt to what the market wants.

17. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

You guys are talking serious shoe information. I did not realize Chumlee was a Rockets fan.

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. bongman

bongman Member

He wears it because he is contractually OBLIGATED to wear that - not to save money. No athelete can endorse a specific brand and turn around wear the competitors item. Remember the olympic incident when the dream team got up to the podium? Some of them had to cover that Reebok patch with the flag.

19. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

there's a lot of sneakerheads in basketball since it's kinda intertwining with each other. Basketball is where the hype around shoes pretty much started

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's exactly what I said, Harden is not wearing Addidas shoes to save money but as a result of having his shoes provided for free he is saving money as opposed to Harrell blowing wads of cash unnecessarily. And Harden has a lucrative shoe contract and max deal so he's actually the guy who doesn't have to worry about $$$ for the rest of his life, Harrell is the one on a rookie deal here.