1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monta Ellis & Al Harrington

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TManiAC, May 28, 2008.

1. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Last offseason, I was told by my co-worker (who is Jeff Fried's cousin and Monta Ellis' girlfriend) that Steve Francis was committing to Houston. She also told me that the Warriors quietly shopped Monta Ellis and Al Harrington to make room to re-sign Baron Davis (Baron Davis, Stephen Jackson and Andris Biedrins seem to make up GSW's core). Don Nelson is reportedly very high on Marco Belinelli and may make him a starter this upcoming season... ditto Brendan Wright.

I could see some value in acquiring Monta Ellis, Al Harrington and the 14th Pick in the draft.

Trade Proposal:

Monta Ellis (S&T), Al Harrington & 14th Pick (only if Joe Alexander or Chase Buddinger are available)

for

Bobby Jackson, Carl Landry (S&T), Luther Head & 25th Pick.

Free Agency:

Depending on who we pick up in the draft, I would target Josh Childress, Matt Barnes, Ricky Davis, Trevor Ariza, Maurice Evans, Gerald Green, Quinton Ross, Kurt Thomas, Primoz Brezec, Theo Ratliff and Francisco Elson.

Depth Chart:

PG: Rafer Alston | Monta Ellis | Aaron Brooks
    SG: Tracy McGrady | Gerald Green (MLE) | Steve Francis
    SF: Shane Battier | Joe Alexander (#14) | Steve Novak
    PF: Luis Scola | Al Harrington | Chuck Hayes
    CN: Yao Ming | Kurt Thomas (MLE) | Dikembe Mutombo (MIN)

2. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

If instead we take Chase Buddinger

Depth Chart:

PG: Rafer Alston | Monta Ellis | Aaron Brooks
    SG: Tracy McGrady | Chase Buddinger (#14) | Steve Francis
    SF: Shane Battier | Trevor Ariza (MLE) | Steve Novak
    PF: Luis Scola | Al Harrington | Chuck Hayes
    CN: Yao Ming | Kurt Thomas (MLE) | Dikembe Mutombo (MIN)

3. 1RocketMac11

1RocketMac11 Member

If anything, they'd want to re-sign Monta OVER Baron. Monta is a flipping stud. There's no way they'd do the original trade, then adding Harrington and the 14th?

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The Warriors could get much, much better offers than that. I think you have to give up Scola to even get to the table in Monta Ellis discussions - and even then it would take a lot more (Landry, Brooks, 25th pick, etc..)

5. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

There's no way the Warriors would agree to this...if you boil the trade down, it becomes Landry+25th for Ellis/Harrington and the 14th...no way that ever happens.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

The Warriors might take an expiring (Jackson), a young 2nd round steal of a PF (Landry), and a spot up 3 point shooter (Head) if you're talking strictly about Harrington.

No way on Earth that deal would include the #14 pick, and much less Monta "I was possessed and shot like 65% for 2 months of the season" Ellis.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You would need to give up tmac or yao.

8. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

that was last offseason??? After this season, I wouldnt see why Monta Ellis isnt untouchable.

9. levintblack

levintblack Contributing Member

Hate to break it to you but Monta Ellis is neither a PG nor a bench player. The dude scored 20 pts a game this year after scoring 16.5 the year before and is only 22. He's a fast, quick as heck driving SG. If we trade for him he will play SG and TMAC would be SF. It won't happen unless one we give up Scola (which makes no sense because he wouldn't fit the system there) and two we would likely have to throw in Battier because he's not a bench player either. Problem is Monta has no contract here in a month or so and will likely command 8-10 mil per.

10. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

Harrington could be intresting though, not only could he be the tall backup SF Houston's been looking for, but he offers an intresting way to shore up depth behind Scola. A versatile three-point shooting combo forward? Worth a look at least.

Ellis and the 14th though...not happening.

11. LngHrn07

LngHrn07 Member

I'd love for this to happen, but it won't happen. We have a better chance at Baron then Monta.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I don't see Monta Ellis going anywhere. He should be a restricted FA that comes on the cheap for them, and his value is much higher than Landry's. If they really wanted to trade him they could probably even move up in the draft to a top 5-6 pick.

Al Harrington though is a guy I wouldn't mind picking up in a deadline salary dump deal for Jackson and Francis' contracts. For this to happen Golden State would have to be out of the playoff race by midseason, but heck, if what you say is true and they want to start Belinelli and play Branden Wright, maybe they will be.

13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Why would you want Ellis anyways. He's a good player but also a system player. He plays great in fun and gun but like Barbosa and others he would be a lot less effective in a normal situation. He can shoot 65% because he just blows by the bigger guys trying to defend him. He isn't really a good shooter if the game slowed down he wouldn't be able to get all of those fast break layups and runners on mismatches.

Harrington has is a lost cause too. He's lost almost all of his post up game playing for Nelly and is really a waste of our expiring contract.

Don't be fooled by these small ball guys. Their percentages and numbers are all skewed because of the system they play in. This is the same reason the Knicks thought Q Rich was gonna help them alot and the Hawks seem to think Joe Johnson is a franchise player. I hope Morey's not dumb enough to fall for it.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

You may have learned about Steve Francis through the grapevine but Monta Ellis will not be available no matter what you heard.

I went to a couple of Warriors game this season in Oakland and shelled out for a very good seat when they played the Rockets. I sat next to a diehard, long time Warriors/basketball fan who was a season-ticket holder. He said he wouldn't trade Monta for T-Mac straight up even if the league allowed it. He was dead serious.

You should here the way Warriors fans and local media talk about Monta. He is probably the most revered professional athlete in Oakland right now.

#14 BrooksBall, May 28, 2008
    Last edited: May 28, 2008
  15. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

You make very good points here but the fact of the matter is that Monta Ellis would be very good on almost any team in the league, even a half court system. His number may not be as gaudy if he played for a team like the Rockets or Spurs but the kid is just an incredibly gifted scorer that any team would love to have.

It doesn't matter either way right now. Monta will be a Warrior next season.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Yea, I know. I just hate it when people are like " :eek: he's a 20pt scorer" when he wouldn't do that on more than a couple other teams. He definitely has talent i just think alot of those types of players (Ellis, Barbosa, Diaw, Marion, Louis Williams, etc.) look so great in small ball that their value is overinflated. Meaning, to get a Monta Ellis we would have to give up much more than the OP suggested probably our expirings and more than one key rotation player. Then, when the game slows down alot of his difficiencies will be exposed and we'll all be sorry that the trade was made.

17. TiMacManiaa

TiMacManiaa Member

have you ever seen monta play?

they won't give him unless yao or tmac is in the mix

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Monta is a GREAT great scorer.....his mid range game is incredible.

If he were on the Rockets....oh baby !

DD

19. TiMacManiaa

TiMacManiaa Member

probably one of the best finishers in the game right now

20. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Is Monta Ellis with adidas because...
    [​IMG]

YOU WERE FOOLED!!

When i shot 65% on mostly fast break layups
    When i made open mid-range shots because of a mismatch with a big man
    When Baron Davis got me easy shots
    When Nelly's small ball lineups allowed me to go 1 on 1 with guys much bigger than me.

If you thought i did all this. If you though i could do this on the rockets. You were wrong.

Seriously if you've watched the Warriors play you know that he's their 3rd best player and gets most of his points from open shots and blowing by bigger players just like another sawed off SG.