1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monster trade coming (joke)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bob Rainey, Sep 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Noooo, that was 99. This is now officially post No. 100 in this thread.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Well I don't want to attack anyone's credibility one way or the other, but it is kind of amusing how much excitement (and I don't necessarily mean happy excitement) one little nibble of a rumor can cause among our ranks.... Especially considering it was the virgin post for some guy we've never heard of...
    Makes life interesting though. I, for one, think Bob (or whatever his real name is) deserves props for giving us something interesting to talk about for once...
    And for bringing GS and Houston fans into an agreement for once...

This trade has very little chance of going down... [​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for backing me up grummett ... I should clarify:

First off, looking at the info I revealed is anyone going to make such broad generalizations like I violated this poster's rights? His identity was not revealed.

Secondly, "himself" is right. "Bob Rainey" isn't posting from Finland. You know his third post in this thread, where he says he takes great offense to his next post coming from the Far East and he won't return here again?

That post came from Japan.

You figure it out. All I wanted people to know, before buying every word in here, was that this was a first time poster using a completely free/anonymous email posting from a foreign land (which not even that is accurate). Whoever posted here went to great lengths to make sure they couldn't be tracked or would be completely anonymous.

As for revealing their identity, unless the "Enemy of the State" satellite tracking system is in place, I think he/she is safe.

I've learned not to publically tell people they are wrong unless I know they are wrong. If I was a betting man I would say what popeye passed along is based on some truth. As crazy as it is (Jamison to Houston makes little sense to me) there's just something strange about all this. I was told one thing I was asked not to pass along, but it's really no big deal at all (certainly not revealing). The bottom line is I don't know what's really going on, when I do I will certainly make that info available (if I can).

I am not afraid to discredit a rumor, whether it comes from popeye or whoever. The Cuttino Mobley deal with the Rockets several months ago rumor was not accurate (some people actually think it was because Cuttino eventually signed with the Rockets, which is ridiculous. His talks with Toronto were not a front). At the same time Popeye has been very accurate on other things.

You just have to ask yourself if this is a sharp person who combined two recent rumors ("Drew to the Bulls" and "Jamison to the Rockets") and created a neat, tidy three-way deal, or this a legitimate source? I don't have the answer.

My opinion of this particular rumor?

If it's fake, it's well-designed. TOO well-designed in my opinion. Cited is the fact that the Rockets get a $1.5 million trade exception in the deal... how would he know that? Well, it's the exact thing the Real GM site (which so many people in here are trying to promote for one reason or another, which in my opinion brought on this post and will bring on other fishy posts as well) states the Rockets get when you punch this trade in. Too exact for me... I smell a rat.

Also, Sam Smith of the Chicago Tribune is an in-the-know kind of guy. Do you think a 3-way trade involving such big name players as Antawn Jamison, Kelvin Cato, Erick Dampier, Marcus Fizer, Jamal Crawford, Carlos Rogers, Vonteego Cummings and Ron Artest would be on tap, and all Smith passes along in his article is "the Bulls are trying to get Bryce Drew"?

My opinion is there will be possibly a few minor deals -- such as Drew being moved -- but not much else heading in to training camp.

I have not bashed this person -- he has been nice and courteous. Others have dismissed the info as false and that's their right. But.... if Bob truly passed along legitimate info, then he should know, just as popeye learned when he said the Rockets-Grizzlies were talking before the Francis trade talks were public (and took heat for it), that if this info comes to light and proves to be true, he'll pretty much become a supreme being on this board.

If not, he deserves what he's gotten.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited September 14, 2000).]

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

just curious, was popeye the type to travel abroad ? I don't think Bob is him anyway.

Also, Clutch you meant Far East, not middle east right ? Bob had said he would never post from the far east ????

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Fair play, and well said Clutch.

I guess my main point about cutting the new poster some slack was lost in the shuffle.

Who knows if it is real or not, it is interesting though, no?

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yep, as usual, you are right [​IMG].

7. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Its called "spoofing" or bouncing off of other mail servers, and is done every day. There are certain older versions of Linux kernels which are used by mail servers around the world, which don't show you where the email came from before it bounced off that server, enabling the original poster to hide where they came from, and is relatively easy to do. Spammers use this daily. This could come from anywhere in the US, even from a student in college somewhere.

It does not mean he's a fake, it just means he didn't want to be tracked and discovered who he was.

What makes this fishy to me was his "hurt" feelings over people accusing him of mischief, and exiting out, enabling him to ride off into the sunset and never have to answer for what happens.

If he was real, he'd know he was right, and that everyone would be proven wrong, and his credibility established on this board. He'd want to stay around to gloat over his success and accolades coming his way. This way, he plays the joke on us, and doesn't have to answer for his actions, because he was "offended."

I didn't even want to post on this thread in light of it's foolishness, but this is an interesting question that needed an answer. And now that Clutch has added his wisdom ...

Also, thanks for the other additional inside information, Clutch. I was one of those who concluded errantly, as you probably noticed.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

8. DaneB

DaneB Member

I was searching along in the ESPN message boards, remembering all the posters there giving us crap at one time or another. Especially the ones from Golden State. Anyways, I come across this post in the Rockets boards. Its about the realgm website and its effects it will have...

"In case you didn't know, a site called Real GM has recently surfaced (about 1 1/2 weeks ago). An excellent site; in fact I already consider it to be one of the best b-ball related sites on the 'Net. News of this site has spread like wildfire (I posted it on the Clutchcity BBS and they love it).

But with this site arises an unfortunate consequence. Occasionally a person will post a false trade rumor, and I believe that the rate of this occuring will increase with the advent of this site. See, Real GM kind of "does a portion of the thinking for you" when it comes to fitting trades under the cap. Trolls, cretins, imbeciles, fools, hooligans, and other assorted idiots will use that site's Trade Checker for their own twisted personal gain. They will input radical, unrealistic trades and once they get it to work under the cap they will report it as fact and/or spread the trade as a rumor that it could actually occur. In fact, such idiots may and probably will go as far as declaring themselves as an insider.

Don't get me wrong, Real GM is fantastic, but because of that site it may be wise to be a little more suspicious than usual from now on when someone posts a rumor which they cannot confirm with an official source."

I definitely agree that this Bob Rainey is exactly that.

[This message has been edited by DaneB (edited September 15, 2000).]

9. Gascon

Gascon Member

Who cares?

Good night.

------------------
    Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead.

No, wait, not me...you.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I guess nobody is going to point out that trades usually benefit all teams involved. This trade hurts both Golden State and Chicago, and makes little sense for Houston.

Looking at what each team gives up/gets back:

Chicago
    Gives up: Fizer, Crawford, Hawkins, and Artest.
    Gets back: Dampier, Cato, Drew, and Rogers.

Net result -- Chicago gives up 3 very promising young players, all chosen early in the 1st round, and gets back 2 scrubs, and 2 disappoining (to many) big men, neither of which are guaranteed to start, taking into account their acquisition of Brad Miller. Why? This trade hurts Chicago, and you cannot convince me otherwise.

Golden State
    Gives up: Dampier, Cummings, Jamison.
    Gets back: Crawford, Hawkins, Fizer.

Net result -- They give up 3 players with promise, who have already proven themselves in the NBA, for 2 who haven't. Why? I don't see how this helps the Warriors.

Houston
    Gives up: Cato, Drew, Rogers
    Gets back: Artest, Cummings, Jamison

Net Result -- Basically Houston would be trading Cato for Artest, Cummings, and Jamison. Tell me how any team in their right mind would allow Houston to get away with that. Teams aren't in business strictly to help the Houston Rockets. That exchange makes the Brian Grant and Eddie Jones deals look even.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly... I meant to point that out also. Chicago takes on 2 overpaid, and up to this point underachieving, centers, and given they recently signed Brad Miller.... 3 extremely well-paid centers ain't happening.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

12. verse

verse Contributing Member

has anyone ever "confirmed with an official source"? what i mean is has anyone ever said, "hey i'm in kahoots with rudy t and he told me that......"

i just don't think we should be so skeptical over the identity of a person we really cannot identify. nor should we be so ridiculous as to ask for an official source, when i have NEVER seen anyone disclose - BY NAME, NO LESS who their "official source" is. how about if we just stick to debating the merit of the actual deal. that might help us to decide what is real and what is bullsh!t.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

While I would agree with your overall assessment of how realistic this trade is, I cannot resist to point out a little contradiction in your argument [​IMG].

First you say Dampier is a disappointing big man, then you say he is a player with promise. First you say Chicago gives up promising players and that hurts them, then you stress that Golden State gets two unproven players and thereby the trade is bad for them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I guess that one could always look at trades from different angles, especially with players with "potential"...you can say losing them hurts because they have so much potential and at the same time one can say the team that gets them loses because they are unproven...

So it is just whichever way you turn it.

Let's just wait and see, I guess....

14. Bob Rainey

Bob Rainey Member

I owe this board an apology.

When I saw all those stupid greatest memories threads, I became very bored with my favorite web site, www.clutchcity.net. Using www.realgm.com, I thought up this spoof to liven things up around here, and I routed my message through a "friendly" proxy server so my identity would seem mysterious. I have come back to say I am sorry for not taking more time and devising a more plausible trade.

I should not have left Houston without a center, I should not have left Chicago with three centers, I should have left G.S. out completely, and I should have altered my trade results slightly from my realgm.com outcome.

In short, this fine forum deserves a higher quality of blatently false rumor mongering than I was prepared to deliver.

Please forgive me, and feel free to offer constructive criticism how you would have improved this spoof.

Using your feedback, we could design the perfect trade gag to deliver to our friends on the G.S. forum. Go Rockets!!

------------------

15. Believe2000

Believe2000 Member

Deal sounds nice. Just one question, why would Chicago want Cato and Dampier when they just signed Miller? Now that said, if they were able to pick up a veteran backup for Dream just in case he was not able to step it up (which I BELIEVE he will), then by all means...

DO IT!

See you in the post season.
    And I do mean late into the post season.

------------------
    Dreams, are what teams are made of.

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[This message has been edited by SamCassell (edited September 15, 2000).]

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

So what you are saying is that instead of coming up with an original and interesting thought to provoke discussion, you used trickery and outright lies. What a sorry excuse for getting attention. I feel really sorry for you.

Someday when you are an adult you will realize how honesty and straight forwardness is the only way to gain people's respect, and by extension, their attention.

------------------
    Save our children from the TAAS test:
    TAAS test report card
    TAAS test fact sheet

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Fair point. I probably manipulated my words a little much there. However, Cato and Dampier, while viewed as disappointing by many, still have promise. The two are not mutually exclusive. The trade still doesn't make sense though.

------------------
    "The only problem is I always think of the guitar player from Dokken when I hear his name." -Traj, on the possibility of George Lynch joining the Rockets.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hey Clutch,

Remember, don't delete the thread. It might piss people off. We need to archive this so other kids can see how to trick the site with realgm.com.

[​IMG] (hey look, i used a smiley)

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Spoof or not, it was WAY more interesting then the Best memories of...

I, for one, can take a joke.

Good one !

DaDakota

------------------
    All you MO-FO's better stop ripping off my lines !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.