1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monster trade coming (joke)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bob Rainey, Sep 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davo

davo Contributing Member

Is this some kind of a sick joke? [​IMG]

Ayrton Senna is dead, and he was Brazilian

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

2. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I don't like to chime in until the 100th post or so. [​IMG]

No one seems to believe this to begin with, so there ain't much to debunk. But, as is my wont (and 'cause I know y'all can't get enough of it!), I'll provide a little GS background info to help you evaluate the realism of future trade rumors.

It's not a perfect science, but a team's promotional literature usually suggests who the front office thinks its "core" is -- you don't want your sales pitch surrounded by a bunch of pictures of guys who aren't on the team anymore. The brochure GS sent out early in the offseason include pictures of four players: Hughes and Jamison (the two featured most prominently), plus Dampier and Vonteego Cummings. Trade rumors involving these four players should therefore be considered highly suspect unless there is a huge and immediate payoff for the Warriors.

The new quasi-slogan, "We Might Be Onto Something," focuses on Hughes and Jamison as the potential star-type talents GS has been so obviously lacking the past couple of years (since Spree choked PJ). If they traded Jamison for draft picks or raw rookies like Crawford and Fizer, they'd have to change it to something like "We Thought We Were Onto Something, But Now You'll Have To Wait A Couple More Years" or "Come See The Stars Of Tomorrow Before We Trade Them, Too." [​IMG]

Before you dismiss all this by saying, "So what, it's only advertising," remember this -- GS has perhaps the lowest attendance in the league, and is also losing money due to legal fights related to the recent renovation of the Oakland Arena (for which they can't even sell the naming rights because the team's reputation is so bad). Boosting fan optimism is thus a financial imperative -- and so the Warriors are in far less of a position than other teams to sacrifice the present for a possibly brighter future.

One other reason why they won't blow up the roster on a whim: The owner, Chris Cohan, gave Saint full control last year (after he had been sharing it with PJ) on the obvious assumption that Saint had a better plan for developing the team. So if Saint goes to Cohan and asks to trade his last two first-round draft picks (Jamison and Vonteego) plus the guy GS signed to the biggest contract in franchise history last summer (Dampier), Saint might as well pack his own bags, too.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Swopa (edited September 14, 2000).]

3. Thanos

Thanos Member

Davo, i can assure you i´m quite aware of Senna´s nationaly since i´m from Brazil myself.

And i didn´t meant "Long live Ayrton Senna" literally.

I meant long live Ayrton Senna in the memories of anyone who ever had the privilege of seeing his breathtaking performances and knew what a wonderful human being he was.

peace.

------------------
    "The world is full of kings and queens who blind your eyes and steal your dreams. It´s Heaven and Hell!"

4. Dcab

Dcab Contributing Member

This guy sounds very much like the guy we already know... oh well, better keep quiet now or he'll get into trouble again.

For all it's worth, thanks a bunch Bob, here goes another 300 something post.

------------------

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

great i leave for an hour and this is what happens , oh well here's a funny joke

Staush was hitchhiking to California and got picked up by a truck
    driver. The driver was in a hurry and could not make any stops. About
    20 miles down the road Staush said, "I have to take sh*t!"

The driver said, "I don't have the time to stop."

Staush replied, "Got to sh*t!"

The driver pulled over and said, "Go down over the hill and take a
    sh*t and hurry up."

Ten minutes passed, and no Staush had not returned. The driver
    hollered, "Hurry up!" Staush asked if he had any toilet paper. The
    driver replied, "No! wipe your ass on a dollar.

After a while, Staush came up the hill with sh*t all over him. The
    driver said, "How did you get sh*t all over yourself?"

Staush replied, "You ever try to wipe your ass on three quarters two dimes
    and a nickel?"

------------------
    This signature space for rent call 555 ...

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The information given to you by Bill Rainey is incorrect. After conducting extremely diligent research I figured it all out and found out that the following trade will happen in a week:

Rockets get:
    Vince Carter from Toronto
    Dirk Nowitzki from Dallas
    Antawn Jamison from Golden State
    Larry Hughes from Golden State

Toronto gets:
    Carlos Rogers

Dallas gets:
    Bryce Drew
    Moochie Norris

Golden State gets:
    Walt Williams

Due to Houston, Dallas and Golden State being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston, Dallas and Golden State had to be within 15% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Of course, I do not really like this trade because Moochie is the best backup point guard ever, Drew is really good when he starts, Rogers plays with more heart and hustle than any of the players we would get and Walt is due to blow up and be the most consistent player in the NBA this season. Carter is overrated, Nowitzki has slow feet, Jamison can't shoot the three and Hughes is a ball hog.

I don't know what Rudy and CD were smoking when they agreed to this trade.

7. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Swopa-- Could the financial situation be so bleak that GS could be looking to actually dump salaries? It's far easier to cut costs immediately than to raise revenues to a skeptical fan base.

------------------

8. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Man, this thread should be renamed Monster Thread Coming

Please! Let's just let this thread die a peaceful death, none of us can confirm nor deny who this guy is, so let's just back off. We don't need anymore marathon posts trying to convince ourselves that we are going to get a certain player. If it happens it happens, if not well we'll argue about who we should get next. Thank you.

-Turbo

9. jerinrulz

jerinrulz Contributing Member

DetTheThreat- its posts like that which make me appreciate this BBS. Keep up the good work.

------------------
    Lookin at a 75 year old man in a thong: NASTY
    Lookin at Shaq hit free throws: "O SH**!"

10. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

While I don't believe this trade will happen, it sure would be good for the Rockets future. It would solidify every position, except for the center position, & add depth. In the case of those that are worried about the center position, we still have Washington out there. Also, we could, as has been suggested, package some the extra players & trade for a center or draft picks. Next years draft is deep & we are still in a rebuilding mode, so one year without a center to compete with the other dominant centers won't kill us. This trade, no matter how unrealistic it may seem now, would be a great move for the long term plans of the Rockets. We could score from every position on the floor at will & still have time to play some defense.

But, I defer back to my original statement, I really don't think this trade will ever happen.

If this is just a prank by Bob, then he ought to be spanked & sent to bed without his supper, grounded for 6 months, not be allowed to play video games or watch TV, & have to wash the dishes every night for 6 months while standing on one leg. Oh yeah, & take his computer away. [​IMG]

------------------

11. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Thanos, you and me are now at war!

Mika is equal to Schumacher in so many ways. And better in some. So what if he lacks personality. That pass at Spa was one of the finest pieces of driving I have ever witnessed. Short of some excellent blocking, I have never seen Michael pull anything close. McLaren is definitely the finer car, but when Mika wins it's usually by 20 or more seconds. Michael kicks ass and only wins by 3 or 4.

On another note, I am going to the US Grand prix in a couple of weekends and will be wearing all sorts of McLaren crap. Perhaps you'll see me on TV. [​IMG]

I will agree with you on one thing. Senna is one of the top 2 or 3 drivers of all time. When he died I almost stop watching F1.

I don't have anything else to say about this thread.

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

Can't argue with that Thanos. I too lived in awe of Ayrton's talents and I can't begin to describe the horror of watching the crash...it was in the middle of the night in Australia and it wasn't until I woke up in the morning and read the paper that I found out he had died.

As for Schumacher, he's all yours. To say I don't appreciate his driving would be a gross understatement.

Anyway, best we finish this discussion now before some wrong forum do-gooder jumps on our ass [​IMG]

------------------
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

[This message has been edited by davo (edited September 14, 2000).]

13. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

Isn't that what we are doing right now?!

I always found that if you don't want to wade through a very long thread that it is quite easy to aviod it by not entering the thread to begin with!

But if you do enter the thread it is probably because you were actually interested in reading what someone had to say.

Now it doesn't make sense to ask for a quick demise of a thread that others may want to participate in.

Besides, what else is going on? Would you rather us go back to talking about "What injury of Hakeem's do you most remember?" or "What was your favorite Cuttino Mobley Iso play?" or something to that effect?

------------------
    RocketFuel is dead!

14. Rocketsauce

Rocketsauce Contributing Member

Crap, I just realized that my 300th post had nothing to do w/ the Rocks'.

Oh well.

How long do you guys think it will take for Bill the Rocket Guy to post this on his site and pass it off as the inside scoop. My guess is 7 hours. He's a little slow ya' know.

[​IMG]

------------------
    "Stranger things have happened, but none stranger than this" - Commentator after a parachutist landed in the ring of a Holyfield fight

15. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Classic! [​IMG]

------------------

16. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

I understand why you're asking -- I'm sure HOU would love to get in on the fire sale if there was one -- but no, sorry. [​IMG]

If the Warriors were looking to dump salaries, they (1) wouldn't have re-signed Foyle, (2) would have traded Caffey for J.R. Reid and Traylor (whose deals expire in '02) instead of creating a 3-way deal to get Bobby Sura, and (3) wouldn't have given Fortson a 7-year, $40 million contract.

Also, it's not nearly as hard as you think for GS to boost ticket sales. The Warriors had a long string of sellouts (i.e., a few years' worth) during the Run-TMC era, and even the vague whiff of competiveness caused attendance to spike up considerably at the end of the '99 season. After the Hughes trade, they sold around 5,000 extra tickets in two days before his debut against Boston. So the fan interest is there; they're just waiting for a better product.

------------------

17. rock

rock Member

The only real life simulator for the NBA.

houston trades: Kelvin Cato $5,333,333 to chicago
    houston trades: Bryce Drew $1,182,600 to chicago
    houston trades: Carlos Rogers $2,200,000 to chicago
    TOTAL: $8,715,933

golden state trades: Vonteego Cummings $757,200 to houston
    golden state trades: Erick Dampier $5,610,390 to chicago
    golden state trades: Antwan Jamison $2,678,400 to houston
    TOTAL: $9,045,990

chicago trades: Ron Artest $1,160,760 to houston
    chicago trades: Marcus Fizer $1,708,000 to golden state
    chicago trades: Hersey Hawkins $4,763,923 to golden state
    TOTAL: $7,632,683

TRADE ACCEPTED

There were BYC players involved in this trade, so this trade is subject to the BYC provisions of the CBA. Due to golden state and chicago being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. houston and golden state had to be within 15% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining agreement.

houston would also receive a trade exemption of $1,552,907 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

Be aware that this exemption will be extinguished if the team which possesses it falls below the cap by the combined amount of the exemptions it currently possesses.

golden state would also receive a trade exemption of $1,271,470 with this trade. This would have to be used within one calendar year from the date of this trade.

Be aware that this exemption will be extinguished if the team which possesses it falls below the cap by the combined amount of the exemptions it currently possesses.

------------------

[This message has been edited by rock (edited September 14, 2000).]

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

rock,

you forgot j. crawford.

------------------

19. TB3

TB3 Member

What are the chances that somebody would just "make up" this scenario, but it works under the CBA? This is a darn complicated prank, if you ask me. I still think it works for the teams involved, and I hope Bob is not making it up.

------------------

20. TB3

TB3 Member

I just worked the trade on realgm and it worked, and I included Crawford! The plot thickens.

[This message has been edited by TB3 (edited September 14, 2000).]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.