1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monkey on their backs: Rockets are 11-42 without T-Mac

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Since they acquired him in 2004, the Rockets are 11-42 when Tracy McGrady is out. They are 10-30 when T-Mac is out but Yao Ming is playing.

2004-05: 2-2
    2005-06: 7-28
    2006-07: 2-9
    2007-08: 0-3

They have lost 8 straight with T-Mac out and 20 of their last 24. This season the Rockets are 0-3. Yao Ming is averaging 17.3 points on 36.4% in those 3 games.

Nothing I want to see more than the Rockets showing T-Mac they can win without him.

2. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

just a note, tmac always got injured when schedule was tough.

3. stanley'shead

stanley'shead Member

This team did much better without Tmac,they earned double OTs. Why
    the blind shooters always missed the shot when Yao got doubled even tripled and they got no one defence??!?!?!?!!?!?!?WHY?!?!?!Why the Tmac got 20millions a year always pretend to be injured and quit games?!?Tmac for what?!

4. yogagreenstone

5. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

This team is designed to have two playmakers because we have two offensively limited players in our starting rotation. So anytime either one of them is out, we are going to be in trouble. Since Tmac also brings scoring and rebounds too, we are going to struggling more without him than without Alston.
    The best solution is to find another playmaker to start at SG who can also score on dribble. So far this season, only Mike James somewhat fits this bill.

6. ThaShark316_28

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

To me after 04-05 they started "relying" more on McGrady, which was the wrong thing to do.

Can't help that Sura, Wesley, and Jon Barry simultaneously went down the tubes and Stromile Swift didnt work out. Still McGrady had plenty past history of injury (and questionable attitude) to show that you couldnt build a team SOLEY on his talents like a Garnett, Lebron, Kobe, etc...

Salary cap be damned, they've needed RELIABLE help after McGrady and Yao in case any of them falters. I think we're still seeing the effects of that.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tmac is great, but heartless...

9. NO NAME

NO NAME Member

so you are trying to say he is important for us

10. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Agree wholeheartedly.

I don't think it was mere coincidence that we played with more pride and energy, and moved the ball a whole lot better, with TMac watching.

My favorite moment was in Sager's interview with TMac when Sager leaves by saying, "Well, we can expect this team to start playing better with you back", and McGrady responds, "Absolutely."

yes, McGrady, because we were world-beaters with you :rolleyes:

11. ThaShark316_28

The false was for the 2nd post, btw.

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Yes, you obviously have a short memory. Read Clutch's Original Post to see that the Rockets are indeed a better team with T-Mac.

13. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Yes when Yao got injure last time, Houston when to a nice Eastern conference stretch and the only few games they play vs tough teams they lost.

14. yogagreenstone

With Tmac' 20M$/year,compared with his performance,Rockets cant go any further than 1st round. And I'm glad in this without Tmac's game, We have more players to score above 20.

15. choujie

choujie Member

Brooks is much better option than James.

16. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Oh really? My fault, I couldn't remember if we had ever made it past the first round or not. Thanks for the reminder. Are the Rockets better with TMac? I would hope adding 23 ppg and 6 apg would do that...Are they a better TEAM with TMac? No.

17. YAO&MAC

YAO&MAC Member

A heartless player!!! Yah, he was a NBA top scorer, but it was history, look at him now... What a loser and faker!!! $20,000,000 for this ****!!! Hell no... I wonder the Rocket Managerment can figure and bring us a true player who is actually worthy this money!!!

18. tsunami

tsunami Member

I get your points. But it's ridiculous if you try to use the stats to show that T-Mac is untouchable. Simply think the other way: T-Mac earns $20 Million per season, any team will struggle if its salary cap is $20Million less than the other teams in the league. If we use this $20Million for some other player(s) to fill the spot we should be good. I think this is the good interpretation of your stats, rather than concluding that Rockets would fail without T-Mac, damn he takes $20Million from the team salary cap, without him, we can add some other good player(s) as return. That said, all the facts you listed are correct, but the conclusion is wrong.

19. Starscream

Starscream Member

When will Yao ever be a decisive factor in pulling a W for us on a somewhat consistent basis,

better yet when has Yao ever won us a game single handedly without Mac?

Come on Ming do you know toughness is leading the team by example and making tough shots down the strech even though you are tired or not when the game is on the line. This is what MAx players do, they make money shots or key rebounds or critical blocks.

Barkely and Kenny made these points, there are other areas you can make an impact on the game and is what seperates GREAT players in the league, when you ain' shooting all that good

besides the obvious rebounding, scoring, assists, you can show true leadership, make teams play your style (tempo) by being dominant when the team needs you most etc.

Why is our record so bad without Mac? Show true leadership Ming for once in your life then whining away after another loss like another broken record.

20. T-Mac1

T-Mac1 Contributing Member

Any word when he's coming back ? yes i mean T-mac !