1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Monitoring all internet usage over a network?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gezza, Aug 12, 2013.

1. gezza

gezza Member

Hi

Does anyone know of a simple way to allow one computer to monitor ALL internet usage over a network? I'm currently living with several housemates and we go over our data cap almost every month (200gb). Everyone swears they aren't using that much data so it's come to a point where we need to monitor everyone's usage.

I am able to find programs that can can track usage on single computers, but what I really want is one that will allow a single computer to track the usage of every device connected to the network.

Our house has 3 computers plugged directly into the router and about 10 wireless devices (laptops, phones, iPads...etc).

Ideally I could check this program on a "host" computer, and the output would be something like the following.

Data usage for 12/08/2013
    1. Gezza's PC - 1.4gb
    2. Steve's PC - 0.96gb
    3. Tracy's iPad - 2.4gb
    4. Tracy's Phone - 0.54gb
    5. etc...
    6. etc...

All of our computers are windows based machines so it would need to work on that. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Your culprit(s) are the ones who are locked in their rooms the most often with the TV or music blaring and boxes of kleenex on their desk. Easy game.

3. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Han Solo and Jontro? :confused:

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

Incorrect sir. I use headphones.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You'll need to setup a proxy server that provides bandwidth utilization stats and then have all your devices point to that proxy. You should set your router to block all traffic except from that proxy server so that no one can bypass using it.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

man, that's a lot of work, and whoever monitors the proxy server will most likely become tech support for the whole network and get blamed anytime someone's device can't connect. and then you still need to figure out how to split the bill. I suppose you expect the heaviest user to pay more.

Isn't it a lot easier to get a second internet line. Or go business class. You just flat out have too many people sharing a consumer class line.

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

8. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

The obvious solution is to kick Tracy's gb hogging ass out the house. Then warn Steve that you're watching him like a hawk.

9. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

This. I have DD-WRT installed on my Buffalo Airstation. Premium version of DD-WRT also support throttling certain mac addresses and IP addreses. I currently have an entire subnet at my house limited to 5mb down, and 1.0 mb down. It also lets you set certain ports to the lowest priorority (such as Torrents).

If you don't feel comfortable installing DD-WRT, you can purchase a router that already has the professional version installed.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products...simultaneous-dual-band-dd-wrt-wireless-router

That's the one I use. I just removed the version installed on it and installed the community version. I'm at 4 months uptime without a reboot (it's reliable as ****)

As far as any software you can install on your computer, I'm sure you can monitor packets with Wireshark, but I'm not sure how proficient you are in that stuff.

I know of enterprise level stuff like Labtech and SonicWall that can definitely help you find the culprits. Honestly, it's probably someone just downloading a **** ton of music/videos or watching a ton of netflix. There's an option in Netflix account settings you can change to minimize bandwidth consumption.

What type of of router do you currently use? It may have built in bandwidth management on it. Also, I'm assuming you have AT&T?

#9 Scionxa, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Seriously, wouldn't it be easier to just get an unlimited data plan and share the costs of that equally?

11. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

12. gezza

gezza Member

Unfortunately I live in Australia...and the plans for cable internet simply suck. There are lots of companies that offer ADSL2 so the pricing is more competitive, but I live too far from the exchange to get reasonable speeds (I tried it...it was bad).

There is actually no option for unlimited cable internet, the next bump is 500gb and it's not cheap. I know internet is a lot cheaper in USA. Sucks to be in Australia I guess.

13. 713

713 Member

is there a way I can view my computer history that's been cleared from firefox?

My laptop has been slow lately since I came back from Austin and I suspect my dad's been watching p*rn on it.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Gonna need some pics of Tracy to tell you the best way to handle it.

15. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Well, that was a nice roomie setup until gezza started micromanaging the internet....

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:confused:

[​IMG]

;)

17. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Keep the internet free Obama