1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moderate Muslims vs. Reformers...Terrorists not just motivated by poverty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewYorker, Jul 8, 2007.

1. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/07/06/opinion/main3023855.shtml

I think this was an excellent point. I've been critical of silent Muslims who don't standup or do enough to combat terrorism. I think this is really insightful as to what's going on.

A lot of Muslims don't see terrorists as Muslims, thus they don't feel the need to see the Koran as the inspiration of violence to many of these extremists. In fact, they even decry the term "Islamic extremists".

Very interesting article.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Muslims don't want to get blown up. Terrorists will already blow up Muslim politicians, so it's not a stretch that they won't acknowledge Islam has anything to do with it. If they did, that would give extremists more reason to denounce their views.

That said, there are Islamic groups who do denounce terrorism but don't get the airtime for some reason...

3. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I'll agree that there is likely a media bias where it's more sensational to show what a terrorist says versus a moderate Muslim.

But aren't Moderate Muslims suppose to be the vast vast majority of Muslims - with the terrorists just a small number? Should the vast majority be able to figure out a way to drown out the voice of extremism? Speak in such a loud voice and renounce violence so forcibly that young Muslims won't be suspect to terrorist recruiters?

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If you're talking about the "Arab street", a lot of them are in countries that oppress free speech and expression. I can only imagine the subtle amount of fear coming from those governments and explicit fear that terror groups force people to experience.

So a moderate could, for example, denounce use of violence for a political Islam, but if he wants a political Islam running his government through peaceful transition, it might be wise for him to keep quiet about it.

These terror groups used to serve as de facto opposition parties because the authoritarian states have a tight grasp on power, so there isn't a obvious good or evil to rally against.

5. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

I think moderate Muslims should do this as well and stand up and seperate themselves from the extremists who use their religion as a backdrop for their hate.

If they could only be more like the moderate Christians who actively voice their concerns against the extremist elements of their faith who use religion as a backdrop for greater motives.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I assume, perhaps incorrectly that this comment regard to Christians is sarcastic.

It is good for moderates of all religions to speak up against the extremists in their religions. Often time moderates don't do this.

This is one of the reasons why the extremists in the American Christianity were able to capture the Evangelicals and perhaps even the majority of the instituional Baptist Church to so strongly support what is now the discreditted war in Iraq. Many other elements of organized Christianity worldwide and even in the US opposed the war.

I was encouraged to see some Muslims in Britain holding demonstrations against fundamentalist Islam and the types of terrorism of the doctors-terrorists in Britain. The world could use more of that.

Of course we should never underestimate the political wrongs inflicted upon Muslims in the Middle East that help fuel not only fundamentalist religion, but terrorism.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Shouldn't the vast majority of this country, moderate and progressive, be able to make their voices heard over the thunderous crap that spews from the radio and the cable news media that bombards one whenever he/she turns on either medium and channel surfs? Why not? Why does it seem like that right-wing, fundamentalist BS that takes up so much of the airwaves and cable lines dominates American media? There is no question that the ardent listeners and watchers of the stuff, the true believers, are a minority of our country. Yet there you are. I'm not the least bit surprised that the Muslim people of this world suffer so from their own extremists. We can't keep from seemingly "electing" a President, a Vice-President and, until recently, the Congress of the United States, along with appointing men of similar tastes in politics to the highest court in the land, that our creatures of those behind the minority of extremists that have had power far and away greater than anything like their real numbers would warrant. Why single out Muslims? We have our own problems to deal with, right here in River City.

D&D. Sometimes, politics Disgusts me.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qam1fbQmA_s"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qam1fbQmA_s" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>