1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock draft with trades

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by skenney1993, Mar 26, 2012.

1. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

I'm not worried about missing out on a player at #33. Guys like Fleener, Randle, Jeffey, Zeitler, and now reportedly Upshaw. I agree with you about giving up a less pick next year, but a 3rd will definitely get accepted.

2. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this trade works out as follows according to the Draft Pick Trade Value Chart:

Houston Trades: #26 (700), #58 (320), and a 2013 3rd pick (which is equal to a 2012 4th round pick - (52))

Houston Receives: #33 (580) and #39 (510)

Houston receives 1090 points while sending out 1072 (plus, it should be worth noting that we'll get a compensatory pick next year for losing Mario Williams in Free Agency this year).

3. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Glad to see it works.

4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the info. Yep, getting that compensatory pick for Mario is a main reason I'd consider giving up a 2013 3rd rounder in the first place.

5. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

That's why I was okay with trading it. Mario should net us a 4th round pick. A more realistic trade would be using a 4th next plus a 4th this year to move up in the 3rd.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think our organization has gotten to the point where they don't need to zero in on one position in the early rounds. The needs are obvious to all: WR, OLB, OG, CB, ILB, TE, DT. But what will dictate our draft will not be how we rank these needs but rather how we rank the overall players on our first round draft board. Here's how I would do it (ignoring guys projected to get drafted way above us):

1. OLB Whitney Mercilus
    2. OLB Nick Perry
    3. WR Kendall Wright
    4. TE Coby Fleener
    ------------------------(Draft down territory)
    5. OLB Shea McClellin
    6. WR Stephen Hill
    7. OLB Vinny Curry

Then considering the position taken in the first, that sculpts how you react in the next two rounds. For OLB:

26. OLB Nick Perry
    58. WR Marvin McNutt
    76. CB Trumaine Johnson

For WR:

26. WR Wright/Hill
    58. OLB Bruce Irvin
    76. NT Alameda Ta'amu
    (if you're not going to do OLB in the first then I feel you still need to address the defensive front 7 in the third round too)

That Rams trade is ideal I think because it would allow us to choose the same position but better prospects at the second spot:

33. OLB Vinny Curry
    39. WR Mohamed Sanu
    76. TE Dwayne Allen

Also, you can tell that drafting an OLB in the first gives you that much more flexibility in the 3rd and later rounds to take whichever player you deem to be the best regardless of position. You are handcuffed to draft WR at 2, but this is such a deep draft for WR that I'd be happy with any of the them slated to go in that round. Someone good's bound to fall.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Basically every mock I've seen has us drafting Wright or Randle if Wright is drafted earlier.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

FWIW:

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm surprised more mocks don't have the Texans going Fleener. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm fine with going WR - if there's a guy the Texans truly like and believe they can mold into an Andre replacement in time. If they're uncertain, the TE is an important enough position in the Texans offense (not to mention how interchangeable TE and WR can be, here) that a strong TE2 is more valuable than a possible upgrade on Jacoby at WR3.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think the pick is going to be Amini Silatolu. He fits the system perfectaly from what I read. If not him, I think they could pick Chandler Jones. He would provide depth on the line and could also play a little 3-4 linebacker. They should be able to get a solid WR in the 2nd round like a Mohamed Sanu, Alshon Jeffery, A.J. Jenkins, or Chris Givens.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Been through all this already on the WR position, but still - its okay to stock up on TEs to "bolster" positions, but not on WR? Get Colby Fleener to replace your #2 TE, but not get a #2 WR you've NEVER had to BEGIN with?

Its okay if a 7th round or undrafted free agent WR develops and "blows up" into something big. But not okay to just draft a more sure thing? Its seems pretty cut 'n dry on the WR team position. Outside the all world #1 WR, people want to HANG Jacoby Jones. And Kevin Walter is a decent "does what he does" type (who just got a pay cut, for good reason). He and the other guy did NOT "emerge" when the #1 was out.

Then just me - If 1 guy can open up the offense so much, why not - TWO of them?

Did the Patriots go with a "Rob Gronkowski is All We Need" approach?
    Are we mad that Ben Tate offers a great 1-2 punch with best RB in the AFC Arian Foster?

All in all its just do the same thing at receiver - Just FORGET the Jeff Maehls altogether, is whats its about.

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Fleener's 40 times are right there with the WR's. He could be devastating in the play action game.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Is there a site like DraftExpress (in terms of scouting reports/mock accuracy) for the NFL?

Also, put me in the let's get Fleener in the late 1st/early 2nd and Brian Quick in round 2 or 3 camp.

Then again, I really don't know a whole lot about football.

It's still fun though. Much better than reading the GARM these day. ;)

15. conquistador#11

LZ
    "League source informing me to "leave Kendall Wright out of 1st in your next mock". Not sure I'll do that, but interesting nonetheless"

I think league sources in this one is one of lance's voices. league sources for a mock draft lol good one.

with the performances Kendall has had in getting ready for the draft, along with his height and the fear that he might not get separation at the nfl level, I don't think it takes league sources to see how he might drop. he will still be a nice pick up in the second or third.

I'm with those wanting fleener.
    league sources tell me fleener would even be more awesome if he grew out his hair again.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Never liked Wright. Now some of it had to do with him playing in an offense that created a lot of open space for him, but aside from that, I still wasn't impressed with his game or his athletic abilities -- aside from his game speed (meh).

Honest to God, if you asked me where I thought he would go and I was in a bubble, not allowed to view mocks or listen to experts, I would have said 3rd-5th round.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

What about drafting Joe Adams in the 3rd round, he would take the punt/kick return job away from Jacoby Jones, and I think could be good depth in the WR.

I dont really watch college football, but I've been watching NFL Network and they say he could be a nice pick in the 3rd rd.

18. TheGoldenGreek

I would love getting Hightower in the first round. I definitely am hoping the Texans wait till round 2 to pick up a WR.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Me too actually, but I don't think the Texans will prioritize that position.