1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock draft with trades

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by skenney1993, Mar 26, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

There's a lot more room for success when the rookie WR is brought in to play next to an established star, as opposed to the guys that are brought in to be the #1 wideout (facing #1 CBs).

And this system gets receivers into open space.

I strongly believe that if we focus on landing a true receiver, and not muck it up paying too much attention to downfield blocking at the expensive of little things like "can he create separation"....we will put a lot of zing back into an passing attack showing signs of rust.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I think people are spending way too much time hand-wringing about a total non-issue. Passing games tend to look "rusty" when your starting QB and best WR miss a combined 15 starts.

A full recovery from Schaub and Johnson is the best tonic for a passing game that is still very much elite. Schaub was on a 61%, 3,966, 24/10; 8.49 (career high), 96.8 pace - and that was with a healthy Johnson for just 3.5 games.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Even Kubiak, the last guy on Earth who would say anything critical of his players, said that the receiving corp needed to get better this offseason.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm managing the hysteria. Yes, it could very obviously use an infusion of talent (they only have 3 WRs on the current roster, IIRC). But I would rate full recoveries for Schaub and Johnson far more pressing. With a fully healthy offense, WR2 is your 3rd, often 4th option behind some combination of Johnson, Daniels and Foster. And if they successfully integrate Casey and/or Graham, you're talking about a possible 5th option....

This offense is going to run with or without a Walter/Jacoby upgrade.

5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LZ's new 2-round mock has us taking Kendall Wright at 26 and Vinny Curry at 58.

I could live with that on Sundays!

6. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

I stopped reading after he had BOTH the Rams and the Jaguars passing on Blackmon. Sure maybe, just maybe the Rams would skip on a receiver, but there is no way the Jags and their horrific offense and receiving core would pass on him also.

But I do agree, I would love having Curry at 58 as well.

7. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

Everything I have heard from ESPN and NFL network (dont flame me) has said there is no way Kendall Wright falls to us...

8. aristophanes34

Konz will be gone by 40 and Irvin, despite his recent arrest, will probably be gone before this slot as well. I like both and think they both fit the Texans needs and scheme well, but I think they may be a bit under valued here. Also, there are several WR's on the board at 65 I would take over Broyles (Chris Givens, Brian Quick, TY Hilton, Marvin Jones, Devon Wylie, Marvin McNutt, Joe Adams, etc.). Broyles, like many of his OU alums, will prove to be a productive college player that never makes a splash in the league.

I like the rest, and other than Broyles, I think you are spot on many of the players mentioned as good fits for the Texans.

9. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Can I have some Oklahoma Alums that didn't translate?

10. aristophanes34

Mark Clayton, Brandon Jones, Mark Bradley, Travis Wilson, Malcolm Kelly, Juaquin Iglesias were all picked in the 3rd or higher. Mark Clayton had a couple of years, but that's about it. A couple of the others were cut during their first camp. I could be wrong, but Broyles as just another system WR with some added return value.

11. aristophanes34

Ooooppppsss.... sorry. The above reply was meant for this.

12. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

Pre injury, Broyles was a projected late 1st / early second round pick. His caliber was a lot higher than the guys you mentioned, I dont think it is now

13. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

really? on NFL network?

then why in NFL.com Charles Davis have the texans drafting Kendall Wright?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-drafts/charles-davis/90110

and the others (except Casserly) they dont have Kendall Wright in the 1st round.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

According to McShay, Dont'a Hightower could be the BPA at our pick.
    With Demeco gone, I would take him and pick up the WR in the second. Or, maybe Orson Charles fall to us in the 2nd after his DUI.

15. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

And McShay's latest mock has the Texans taking Wright.

16. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I agree, plug-in Dont'a next to Cushing and having Barwin and Brooks at OLB ... our defense (LB's) could be set for several years.

Barwin - Hightower - Cushing - Reed... would be very nice! :grin:

17. aristophanes34

With the exception of Clayton and Kelly, I agree. Clayton went 22 overall and everyone was touting Kelly as a sure fire 1st rounder until the way he conducted himself during his combine interviews and his outburst at his pro day.

Broyles was ranked somewhere between 3rd-5th WR overall when compared to the senior class. When you add the declared underclassmen and factor in his injury he's now somewhere in the 20's.

I like Broyles. He was a great college player, and I hate that his injury is hurting his stock. If the Texans end up with him, especially with one of their 4th's, I'll be happy. I think he'd make it tough for Jacoby to keep his punt returning gig. Competition is healthy. As a WR, I question his size and, even before the injury, his true straight-line speed. And, as I stated previously, I am leery because he comes from a system that allows guys to post gaudy numbers that aren't truly indicative of their actual talent.

18. Aggie2012

Aggie2012 Contributing Member

Just came across a guy named Brian Quick projected to go in the 2nd-3rd round. Pretty good all around player. If he is available in the 3rd, it would be steal for us.
    6'4" 220 4.55-40

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oh5X0_c1DZo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Brain Quick would be a very good addition. If we select Dont'a Hightower in the 1st round and Quick in the 2nd round it would be very nice ...

But why not Hill in the 1st and Quick in the 2nd? Two WR's in the first two rounds would be awesome ...

20. bcast89

bcast89 Member

Seems like a solid player. Good height, decent speed for his size, and a cool name. I don't think we need to draft a WR in the first round, maybe trade back for an extra 2nd rounder. Andre has a good 2-3 years so we can maybe target his replacement in next year's draft. Would also like us to draft one of Patrick Edwards or Case Keenum because I think they'd be steals in the late rounds.