1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cannonball, Mar 27, 2009.

1. percicles

percicles Member

Denver should pick up the best available or trade down for picks next year.

Same with the Texans.

Why? 2010 might be the sickest draft this decade.

2010 Mock Draft

2. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I think that the ultimate goal of the #1 pick is to get the maximum value over the longest period of time, and that will often mean to pass over the flashier players.

When looking at Stafford vs. Sanchez, trying to determine which will be the better pro QB, I don't see a discussion of future hall of famer vs. future hall of famer. I don't even see Manning vs. Leaf.

Stafford and Sanchez are Carr & Harrington all over again. They will not turn a depleted team like Detroit around any time soon as neither can do it on their own.

Detroit has to rebuild, so with this #1 pick they should take the guy who will have the most potential to be a long-term part of the foundation: and that guy is Jason Smith. O-Linemen may not get the Gatorade contracts, but they open the holes and protect the pocket so that other guys at the QB and RB spots get those endorsements.

If they are dead-set on a QB, then they really need to trade down and get more picks. I just see so many other players in this draft that will mean more to the Lions than Stafford or Sanchez.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I'm not a big fan of Stafford or Sanchez but they need a QB really bad. They're probably going to use the same blueprint as the Falcons used last year by using their first 1st rounder on a QB (Stafford) and using their #20 pick on a OT (Oher could be available). If they can grab these 2 players, they will have a very nice foundation for their offense.

No one person, whether its Jason Smith or Stafford, will be able to turn the Lions around right off the back. They just have too many holes on both sides of the ball, but I think getting a QB and OT in the first would be a good start.

4. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

You know - I keep forgetting that they have the #20 pick as well. I can't deny that would be a good plan, but I still think that they may be able to trade down and still get one of the QBs.

5. rocketman101

rocketman101 Member

im going to ruffle a few feathers with this post...im pretty sure no one will agree with me...well i dont want a rb in the first becuz its to early,plus they are a huge injury risk, set on OL and i dont trust any dl except orakpo..

i also think its to early and risky for a cb in first...i like safety with first pick, but there isnt a safety worthy of 15

that leads to lb, which, i dont trust any of the usc lb (long story) and we have demeaco

so that leads to qb, i like shaub(is that how you spell it) but he is so freakin injury prone its a joke

im REALLY surprised we didnt trade for cutler...

i would love to have vince young as a backup..

but anyways, i want mark sanchez or freeman with the 15#...haha see i told you i would ruffle feathers

6. Rockets34Legend

Mel Kiper has us picking the following according to Paul Kuharsky, ESPN:

No. 15: Linebacker Brian Cushing, USC
    No. 46: Defensive tackle Evander Hood, Missouri
    No. 77: Cornerback Keenan Lewis, Oregon State
    No. 112: Defensive end David Veikune, Hawaii
    No. 122: Receiver Mike Thomas, Arizona

No RB. Interesting....

7. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

The Mock Draft 2009 of Jeff Risdon (RealGM): Version 8.0

First round:
    15. Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State.
    Every Texans fan's wildest dreams (football-related anyways) comes true, as a player some rate as the best defensive player in this draft falls all the way to #15. Houston is coming off a run where they allowed the highest opposing passer rating over a 3-year period in NFL history, and they addressed the pass rush part with Antonio Smith. This scenario seems implausible the more I look at it, but stranger things have happened.

Second round:
    46. Brandon Tate, WR, North Carolina

Third round:
    77. Patrick Chung, S, Oregon

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/11674/20090409/2009_nfl_mock_draft_version_80/

I would love this! I was a little surprised with Tate in the second round, but why not?

8. Chamillionaire

if we could get jenkins or wells at that 15, it would make my day. we can draft a LB with a later pick.

9. Dubious

Dubious Member

And wrong. I have to think that with one of the two picks in the fourth round The Texans will take the complimentary 'big' back. There are a few of them in this draft.

And if they don't in the fourth look out in 5 or 6 six for ........

Jorvorskie Lane The ultimate complimentary big back

10. danny317

danny317 Member

i dont know about lane. he looks like he'll eat himself out of the nfl.

11. Rockets34Legend

I want a big back who can run like Slaton, but who can knock down people like Vonta Leach.....any backs in the draft who can do that?

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Gartrell Johnson is a guy they are eyeing I'm sure.

He's a bit bigger back compared to Slaton (220 compared to 200) and he's been in a ZBS scheme at Colorado State. He also probably won't be looked at until the 5th round or so at the earliest and might even not be drafted at all since he isn't rated as a top 10 RB.

Rashad Jennings is another option. He's out of tiny Liberty but he's a freak of nature (6'1 230) with good speed and power. He'll probably be a 3rd or 4th round pick, same range as Javon Ringer or Glenn Coffee.

also Ian Johnson had a pretty prestigious career at Boise State, he'll get a look in the later rounds as well.

Also, Kiper is smoking crack rocks if he thinks Mike Thomas (WR, Arizona) will last until the middle of the 4th. He's regarded as the best slot receiver in the draft.

13. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Bo Jackson is a free agent, but he's a little old.

14. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Member

I agree that those are some sick players but that mock draft has too few skill players in the 1st round. I can't imagine every team is going to take an OT, LB or DB in the first round.

15. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Not too bad. I'd be really suprised if the Seahawks take Sanchez, Walter Jones is 35 and Monroe would be a much better pickup rather than reaching for QB.

Also, McClain seems so deadset on Matthews but I'm not so sure they would pass on Cushing if they went for one of the USC OLBs.

16. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

It seems McClain is putting on his mock who he wants the Texans to draft rather than who they will take. I think with the Cato June pickup they will take either Vontae Davis or Jenkins in the 1st and go after OLB in the 2nd

17. juicystream

juicystream Member

Kansas State :confused: :p

18. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Agreed, Davis or Jenkins would be an upgrade over Reeves/Bennett and would be insurance in case things don't work out with Dunta. With that said, I don't think Jenkins will make it past the Saints, they need a CB bad.

Cato June only signed a 1-year deal so if Cushing/Matthews happens to be the best defensive player available, I could see them pulling the trigger on one of them, especially considering Diles still isn't able to practice.