1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cannonball, Mar 27, 2009.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

This is the biggest flaw in the plan to let the pick slip. Granted it isn't a very strong bargaining position to state that your guy "should have been #1" but was just allowed to slip for money reasons, but as the article above stated, it seems like it could create more problems than it really saves.

Man, it must suck to be a Detroit fan. You suffer through the worst season ever and don't even have sure-fire stud waiting for you at the top of the draft class.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Garcia grew up in the Bay Area and lives there... nobody offered him a starting gig.

He's 40 years old and Russell is 40 million dollars invested.

Its not a question of who is gonna be starting, its an insurance policy.

3. Dubious

Dubious Member

I think the one team that could possibly, maybe, consider a move up to #1 would be the Broncos to take Sanchez. They have picks to play with. But I think they would want to have an understanding with his agent to do it.

They can probably get him at whatever number he comes up with 2 #1's and might still have him available at 12 IF Stafford is picked.

And having two starting quarterbacks is divisive. It's natural for old vets to want old vets to play if they think he's the best chance to win now. And it's Garcia's will and ego that got him where he's been. He's going to rip sinews in the weight room to show he's better than The Kid.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Of course internal competition makes better football players, so its technically a good thing when you have 2 guys vying for the gig instead of 1 guy who isn't mentally capable yet of handling everything that goes along with being "the guy"

Garcia has enough left in the tank to step in and take over...

this is phase 2 in Cable's "light a fire under JaMarcus' ass" program.

I like what they are doing for once. Cable played his cards right so far, he's said everything he'd needed to say to get more control of the team (i.e. Raider pride, this is where I want to be, I love Al blah blah blah)

Big contrast from Kiffin who tried to come in there and act brash like he knew what he was doing.

5. JLEW1818

JLEW1818 Member

Stafford is going number 1. get over it.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

What are you? His cousin?

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I suggested we do for Carr going into year 3-4... but Charlie Pallilo laughed at me.. jerk :mad:

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Charlie Pallilo laughs at mere mortals?

Who knew.

9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

Plus Garcia is a homo and the West coast is populated by nothing BUT homos. You only just narrowly saved yourself by moving to Houston.

10. Dubious

Dubious Member

You understand the risks right?

The Detroit franchise is the laughing stock of the NFL and has been for ...
    I don 't know, how long was Matt Milan in charge? If they take Stafford #1 commit that cap killing #1 money and he busts, they have no chance to regain any respectability for another 5 years.

The crevasse is 10 feet wide and 1000 feet deep; do you jump?

Well, bi maybe.
    [​IMG]

11. noscrusir

noscrusir Member

I wouldn't mind taking WR Jeremy Maclin at 15 if Jenkins is gone. He's probably the BPA at that point and has great speed, allowing Walter to move to the slot. Having a nice upgrade at the return position couldn't hurt either.

It just seems Maclin would have as much an impact to help us win games as any other defensive player available at that point if Jenkins is gone.

12. Mike Hunt

Mike Hunt Member

I have a feeling that the Lions will trade down. I dont think there is a significant difference between Sanchez and Stafford and frankly, I think Sanchez will pan out to be better and maybe the Lions think this way as well

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I think the Lions want to.

However, I don't think anyone else wants to BE #1.

Unless the Lions give up a lot to move down...

14. DieHard Rocket

Yeah, very strange year. It's almost like they would have to pay more to move DOWN than teams would have to pay them to move UP.

But if they could get anything at all in return to move down to the 10th-15th pick range for their #1 I think they'd be smart to do it. I don't think Stafford will be that much better than Sanchez either so why pay him number one type money?

15. msn

msn Member

If that's really true, then is the #1 pick really a #1 pick?

That, and they *have* to get this insane draft money thing worked out. The #15 pick this year, and unproven rook who's never played a down of NFL ball, will make more than Demeco Freaking Ryans.

It's out of control.

16. gucci888

gucci888 Member

I believe that is one of the high priority issues for Goodell. The amount of money these kids are making is ridiculous, having the #1 pick is almost becoming a burden. You're rarely going to see a team trade up for the #1 pick just because of the amount of money you going to have to pay.

17. No Worries

No Worries Member

Would the Lions take the Texans #1 and one of their #4s to swap #1s?

18. Dubious

Dubious Member

As a certifiable draft junkie I've already been looking at 5 round mocks and this really seems like an off year generally. I know you can't say that and no one knows for three years after the draft but there aren't a lot of guys that I'm plotting for in the mid rounds like most years. Linebackers and OL's seem pretty deep but WR and CB seem lacking. Even Jenkins and Davis ran over 4.5's. There are 4 or 5 serviceable RB's but no Chris Johnson/Bush/Felix Jones types. Last year had 4 or 5 of those 6'3, 6'4" receivers and I don't see any this year.

I wonder if some owners are willing to let draftee's hold out to make a point and reset the draft contract values.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

Kind of makes you think twice about tanking the season too. No wonder owners say they are going to try to win every game :D

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

No kidding, there were a lot of RB studs in last years' draft. This year there is barely a back worth taking.

I think Rashad Jennings out of Liberty is going to be a steal for whoever gets him though.