1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cannonball, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Refman

Refman Member

Yet another sign that the guy making that mock draft is smoking something interesting. :)

2. Dubious

Dubious Member

I agree we need someone like Jenkins or Davis, they could add a lot when we have to face 4 wides and be Dunta insurance but they don't seem worth a #15, Jenkins maybe but being a tweener and us being stocked with at least average talent at CB and S, maybe not.

The reason I'm jumping on the Beanie wagon is I just don't want to pass on taking a playmaker in the top half of the first round. He and Slaton could be a relentless run game and that free's up coverage for AJ.

Ahh, we're gonna trade down anyway. We can get somebody like Sean Smith and another pick instead of Jenkins.

3. Two Sandwiches

Well's would be a great addition, no doubt he would be good change of pace from Slaton. I just don't see a team that has a pro-bowl quality running back(albeit, based on one season), and a horrible secondary taking the running back with their first round pick.

I really like the running back from Colorado State as a late round change of pace guy (thanks to Moes for bringing him to my attention.)

Question to Moes, who do you see the Raiders going after?

4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Please for goodness sakes that we don't draft Wells. I think he's going to biggest bust in this draft.

I really think they'll go after Jenkins hard now and I think this might spell the end for Dunta.

5. Two Sandwiches

It would be too bad if that did. I would love to see a combo of Jenkins and Dunta for years to come. I hope this team doesn't let ANY productive young defensive player go.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think they will take somebody defensively. Since we are set at corner, Curry will be gone by 7, and no safeties are worth taking until later... that would mean they must be looking at the D-line, where Orakpo and Raji come into play. Orakpo is gonna be gone by 5, so logically you think maybe Raji is the guy they want... but honestly who the hell knows when Al is running things.

Maclin would just seem like a stupid pick.

7. The Cat

The Cat Member

Until you follow it up by taking Chase in the 5th/6th, then you'll really have something there... :eek:

8. XBLRocketman111

I'm hoping we can get davis at 15 but i think he goes at 14 to NO. If not gotta get Jenkins.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

10. DieHard Rocket

11. Dubious

Dubious Member

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why? Signing a veteran backup is a bad thing?

:rolleyes:

Andrew Walter and Bruce Gradkowski were the backups before this signing.

Those guys should be in the Indoor Football League.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

PFT is saying that the Lions could possibly forfeit the 1st overall pick and just let the clock run out and pick maybe 2nd or 3rd instead.

It is a perfectly legal move since no one has really attempted giving up draft position without compensation before.

Just shows how stupid the current top pick salaries are.

They need to be scaled like in the NBA.

14. Two Sandwiches

How does this work? If they simply don't pick, they can pick whenever they feel like it? They should just try and trade the pick really cheap...

Trade it to the Rams or Chiefs, make a deal that they don't pick who you want, and pick up an extra 4th rounder or so for it....

By the way, I like the Garcia signing. I could see him probably starting over JaMarcus. Not that Russell is bad, but they need more pieces around him. It would be nice to see Crabtree fall to the Raiders, as I think he and JaMarcus would be a nice pair to build on.

I can't wait for this season! Aren't the schedule dates coming out soon? I hope we play Buffalo early in the season. I don't want to have to sit through another 20-degrees or less game....

15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Why would the Rams or Chiefs want to move up to #1 and pay a guy #1 pick money when they probably would be happy ending up with any of the guys in the top 5?

This is what happens when there isn't a clear cut #1 selection.

edit -- heres the article...

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/07/league-says-lions-can-pass-on-the-first-pick/

#55 moestavern19, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

That would be freaking brilliant and hilarious.

17. Two Sandwiches

Good point.... :D

I know I remember seeing the Lions were unsure of Stafford, but it would be too ironic if they screw this draft up, don't draft him, and he turns into a perennial all-pro. Not saying the kid is going to be a star, because I haven't seen him play much, but most seem to think he's pretty worthy of number one. I think Sanchez could end up better than Stafford, though.

So, how does the not picking thing work?

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

It just cascades I think.

If the Lions don't pick, then the people behind them get the #1 pick, and so on, and so on, until someone finally picks.

If the first 3 teams don't pull the trigger for fear of having to commit to #1 pick money, then it just becomes a free for all for the pick order after that.

I, personally, would love to see that. It would be a classic owners rebellion against inflated salaries.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

As soon as the time runs out on that little clock... if an official draft card hasn't been submitted... the team who is up next can quickly submit their draft card instead and their pick would by rule be counted as that selection.

If you remember the 2003 draft when the Texans drafted Andre Johnson, this happened with the Minnesota Vikings who held the 7th selection but didn't pick in the allotted time... Jacksonville held the 8th pick and Carolina who held the 9th pick both submitted their picks before Minnesota got around to picking, so Jacksonville ended up picking 7th (Byron Leftwich) Carolina 8th (Jordan Gross) and Minnesota 9th (Kevin Williams)

Minnesota still ended up with an All-pro DT, and Leftwich wasn't on their board anyway... so it probably ended up saving them a bit of money in the long run. There was a controversy with Williams' agent though who thought Williams should have been given 7th overall pick money.

20. DieHard Rocket

Not that it's a bad thing, but I doubt Garcia is going to be happy all season as a backup. I'm sure he looked at Oakland and figured it would be the easiest chance to take over (at least of the teams that might have had interest in him). And Garcia isn't exactly one to keep quiet and accept his role if he's not happy with it. The last thing the Raiders need is more distraction.

All of that, and he and JaMarcus have drastically different styles. It's not like they can just plug him in and not miss a beat.