1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Cannonball, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Why when John McClain talks about the Texans picking an OLB in the draft he never mentions Maybin? That guy reminds me of Terrell Suggs but faster and could easily be there at 15.

2. Wakko67

Wakko67 Member

Don't know, but it seems like the Texans are really big on Matthews. From what I'm hearing about his work ethic and skill, he could be a great addition.

3. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Because Maybin will play OLB in a 3-4, not a 4-3, he's an undersized DE.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Maybin is a DE/3-4 OLB who really didn't perform as well as some expected at the combine/pro day. If the Texans are looking at OLB, both Cushing and Matthews should be available at #15 and would be able to step right in as a 4-3 OLB and contribute.

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

All that combine junk is so overrated. He weighs 248 so im not sure why they call him under size. I know the Big 10 is weak that guy was a beast as far as putting pressure on the qb. Most mocks dont even have Matthews going in the 1st rd.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

what mock drafts have you been looking at?

7. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I read a lot of scouts thought he was way too inconsistent this year especially given the pressure the scouts had on him this year. That knock on him is causing him to drop, along with the combine even though the combine values and docking someone for one afternoon is incredibly capricious.

8. Bruins&RedSox21

Not to hijack the thread, but what is you guy's take on Clay Matthews? There's been a lot of talk on how he could be the 1st round selection for the Texans, but I think he's vastly overrated. Could we be doing better with Cushing? Personally, I think Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins needs to be drafted ASAP if available. Patrick Chung or Willaim Moore in the 2nd round?

9. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Texans will trade down so someone can grab Mark "dirty" Sanchez.

10. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

I think that the current thought on Matthews vs. Cushing is that Matthews has a better work ethic and much more upside, whereas Cushing may already be as good as he is going to get. I think that either one would work, but in the long run Matthews may just fit the Texans system better.

I don't know if I could draft him if Jenkins is still on the board, tho - that guy is going to be good. I guess if Jenkins is available they'll have to justifiy taking him with 4 CBs already on the team when they could get an instant starter at the OLB position.

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Just various mock drafts on the net. Not sure if they pull any weight but this time of the year its a ton of them out. A few even had Beanie Wells coming here.

12. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

What are the dates on the Mocks you're talking about? I've seen some online that haven't been updated since February or early March. I could see those not having a guy like Matthews. I think at this point he's pretty much locked in the first round, tho.

Oh, and good rule of thumb - instantly dismiss any mock that has us going offense in round one! ;)

13. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Dates were early March. Slim chance we go offense in the 1st rd but I wouldnt be upset at all if Kubiak shocked us with Beanie Wells.That would be one hell of a backfield.

14. Dubious

Dubious Member

Todd seems to be rational in this version:

Cutler deal shakes up first round
    USC QB Mark Sanchez becomes hot prospect in wake of big trade
    Email Share
    Insider

STAY AHEAD OF THE GAME arrow Become an Insider Today
    McShay By Todd McShay
    Scouts Inc.
    Archive
    USC QB Mark Sanchez stands to benefit most from the Jay Cutler-to-Chicago deal. The Broncos just traded away their franchise quarterback and Sanchez has the quick release, accuracy and gym-rat mentality that Josh McDaniels looks for in his signal caller. If Denver is targeting the former Trojan as Cutler's eventual replacement, it is in no position to sit back and hope Sanchez falls to pick No. 12. The team would need to take advantage of its newfound ammunition and move up to secure Cutler's long-term successor.

I believe Kyle Orton should be nothing more than a bridge-the-gap solution. But McDaniels may completely disagree. Remember, he's been a part of the development process of Tom Brady and Matt Cassel. Right or wrong, McDaniels has to believe he can turn Orton into a similar marvel. So it shouldn't be a surprise if Denver opts to use its two first round picks (12 and 18) on its defensive front-seven and possibly even a stud running back. Regardless of McDaniels' actual intentions, teams in the market for Sanchez -- or any of the top-three quarterbacks for that matter -- must now consider the Broncos a legitimate competitor.

The threat of Seattle pulling the trigger on Sanchez is fascinating. Of course, St. Louis (pick No. 2) and Kansas City (No. 3) will look to exploit the situation by putting their all-of-a-sudden attractive top-five draft picks up for public auction. The same goes for Cleveland (No. 5), Cincinnati (No. 6) and Oakland (No. 7) should Sanchez last through the first four picks, but Jacksonville at pick No. 8 becomes the next threat.

With that in mind; here's one opinion on how the first round could unfold:

1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16): Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

2. St. Louis Rams (2-14): Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14): Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12): Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

5. Cleveland Browns (4-12): Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas

6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1): Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

7. Oakland Raiders (5-11): Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11): Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

9. Green Bay Packers (6-10): B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9): Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9): Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

12. Denver Broncos (8-8): Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

13. Washington Redskins (8-8): Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

14. New Orleans Saints (8-8): Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State

15. Houston Texans (8-8): Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

16. San Diego Chargers (8-8): Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...olumns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=4037988

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I am happy with Jenkins

16. right1

right1 Member

So...you're a Boston Bruins and Red Sox fan....and a Rockets and Texans fan :confused: ?

17. Bruins&RedSox21

Yes, actually. And it has nothing to do with bandwagon. If you like to me explain / give my story, I'd be certainly happy to. :cool:

18. Dubious

Dubious Member

Pro Days wrap: Who helped their stock, hurt it, still has questions

• Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State: After posting only marginal times in the 40-yard dash at the combine (4.54), Jenkins was unable to solve the dilemma as to what pro position he fits best at with more marginal times in Columbus, registering 4.58 and 4.54 second times.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/11588632/rss

If you love mocks the best way to look at them really is on a Mock Muncher that factors in a bunch of mocks to get a consensus. I like to look at them and look 4 or 5 spots under our picks to see what the alternative picks might be.

http://www.thejetsblog.com/mockdraft/

I really think the Texans will trade down but Sanchez will not drop past #12 to Denver, in fact they will probably trade up from 12 to get him.

I know the conventional wisdom is Defense defense defense but how can you pass on Beanie Wells?

• Chris "Beanie" Wells, RB, Ohio State: The 6-1, 235-pound Wells answered any questions that were raised at the combine (4.59) about his straight-line speed in exactly 4.38 seconds. Though scouts still question his toughness and consistency, his blend of size and speed could lead to a selection in the top 10.

Especially when the Mucher has us taking Conner Barwin with the #46 that addresses the OLB and speed rusher needs in one guy. (not to mention primo special teamer and goal line H-back blocker)

#38 Dubious, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The draft is virtually impossible to predict past the first half of the first round.

Seems to me like the Texans could use a Vontae Davis or Malcolm Jenkins.

The Raiders are not taking Maclin though, I guarantee it.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Wells ran a 4.38???? Didnt realize he could move like that. He will be a Larry Johnson type only faster.