1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mock (Draft) the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Oct 3, 2022.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...nfl-draft-projecting-top-3-picks-17821331.php

2. Ohio State QB C.J. Stroud

A lot of people ask me if I envision a scenario in which the Texans don’t take a quarterback with the second pick. I don’t. The only way that happens is if someone makes a deal with Chicago and hacks the Texans by depriving them of a QB they deem a clear-cut choice above all others.

The Texans know how important it is to get the quarterback position fixed. They know that Davis Mills is not the long-term answer.

And I think there’s enough talent in this draft class that they can find their future franchise quarterback even another team gets one first.

Stroud fills the bill.

If the Bears were to keep the pick and go with a defensive player No. 1 overall, then I would have the Texans choosing Bryce Young. He’s considered by most to be “QB1” in this draft, and the Texans like him.

But I predict the Bears will trade with the Colts, who also like Young and will take him, leaving the Texans with Stroud.

Stroud, who is listed at 6-3, 218 pounds, threw bombs at the combine. And his passes were on the money. He’s easily the second-best quarterback, at worst, in this draft.

I considered Richardson because he also elevated his draft stock with his sub-4.5 40-yard dash, 40-inch vertical jump and downfield passes. One AFC scout told me Richardson’s upside is through the roof and if he were a gambler, he’d consider taking Richardson at No. 2 based on his potential and physical traits. He’s drawn comparisons to Cam Newton.

But Richardson is still raw and might need sit on the bench for at least a year before coming in. Playing a mere 22 games at Florida, he completed just 53.8 percent of his passes while throwing for 2,549 yards, 17 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

Stroud is the safer pick here and appears ready to start on day one. In two full seasons at Ohio State, capped by this year's College Football Playoff, he threw 85 touchdowns and just 12 interceptions.

15. Ohio State WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba
    *Projected trade: 12 to Green Bay; 15 & 116(4th) to Houston*

Last year, the Texans traded back from No. 13 to No. 15 to get guard Kenyon Green. I think they do something similar so they can get better value for the player they want. They’d also be able to acquire more assets so they can move up on day two of the draft.

Others around the league believe the Texans’ top three priorities are to find a quarterback, a wide receiver, and a defensive end or defensive tackle.

I agree.

But for the players they’d ideally want, No. 12 seems a bit high. I went between choosing a wide receiver and a defensive end.

For me, it came down to Iowa defensive end Luka Van Ness, USC WR Jordan Addison and Smith-Njigba. I didn’t consider TCU's Quentin Johnston because I figure Green Bay will pick him after trading up with the Texans.

I went with Smith-Njigba, given his familiarity with Stroud, his Ohio State teammate.

Smith-Njigba didn’t play much during the 2022 season because of a hamstring injury. But his combine performance was impressive. His route running was good, and he didn’t look hampered by the hamstring.

Get this stat: During the 2021 season, Smith-Njigba played with both Chris Olave and 2022 NFL offensive rookie of the year Garrett Wilson. Smith-Njigba had more catches (95) and more receiving yards (1,606) than both. He’s a talented player.

33. Georgia Tech DE/OLB Keion White

vjohnson and Omihall23 like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4281118/2023/03/07/nfl-mock-draft-cj-stroud-dane-brugler-combine/

Based on what I heard and saw at the combine, however, here is a look at how Round 1 of the 2023 NFL Draft could play out:

1. Indianapolis Colts (from Chicago): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State* | Projected trade: Nos. 4 and 35 and a 2024 first-round pick to Chicago for No. 1

The speculation during combine week wasn’t about whether or not the Colts will draft a quarterback, it was: Which QB they will take? And how much will it cost?

The members of the triumvirate in charge of that decision each brings a differing perspective. Shane Steichen is entering his first draft as a head coach, Chris Ballard knows this could be his final draft as general manager if the wrong pick is made, and owner Jim Irsay is the wild card (as usual). Stroud might be the quarterback that’s the most comfortable choice for each person there. He is ready to compete for the starting job from Day 1 and his natural accuracy gives him a high floor as an NFL passer. (The Athletic’s Zak Keefer had similar thoughts from the combine.)

Obviously, trading up to No. 1 is an expensive move. But if the Colts stay at No. 4, they might find themselves with only their second- or even third-best quarterback option available. That isn’t good enough for a franchise that has been compromising at the position since Andrew Luck retired.

2. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

Not everyone around the league is convinced the Texans will go quarterback here. With multiple first-round picks in next year’s draft, Houston could continue to build up its roster and look to nab a QB in 2024.

With Young still available in this scenario, though, it would be tough to pass up. A combination of DeMeco Ryans at head coach and Young at quarterback would bump the optimism levels in Houston sky high.

3. Arizona Cardinals: Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama
    4. Carolina Panthers (from Chicago): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida* | Projected trade: Nos. 9, 61 and a 2024 first-round pick to Chicago for No. 4
    5. Seattle Seahawks: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
    6. Detroit Lions: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
    7. Las Vegas Raiders: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
    8. Atlanta Falcons: Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech
    9. Chicago Bears (from Carolina): Lukas Van Ness, DL, Iowa*
    10. New England (from Philadelphia): Peter Skoronski, OT/G, Northwestern* | Projected trade: Nos. 14, 76 and a 2024 fifth-round pick to Philadelphia for No. 10
    11. Tennessee Titans: Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State
    12. Houston Texans (from Cleveland): Nolan Smith, Edge, Georgia

Wide receiver is a popular pick for Texans here, understandably. Rather than reach on a pass-catcher, though, they could wait and still have plenty of options in Round 2.

Smith has the talent and character that would be an ideal fit for what Ryans and general manager Nick Caserio want to build on defense. Though he already figured to be in this range, Smith’s 1.52 10-yard split and 4.39 40-yard dash at the combine only helped his case.

13. New York Jets: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
    14. Philadelphia Eagles (from New England): Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas*
    15. Green Bay Packers: Brian Branch, Nickel, Alabama
    16. Washington Commanders: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
    17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
    18. Detroit Lions: Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh
    19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
    20. Seattle Seahawks: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
    21. Los Angeles Chargers: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
    22. Baltimore Ravens: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
    23. Minnesota Vikings: Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland
    24. Jacksonville Jaguars: Darnell Washington, TE, Georgia
    25. New York Giants: Jordan Addison, WR, USC
    26. Dallas Cowboys: Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
    27. Buffalo Bills: Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas
    28. Cincinnati Bengals: Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
    29. New Orleans Saints: Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson
    30. Philadelphia Eagles: Darnell Wright, OT/G, Tennessee
    31. Kansas City Chiefs: Dawand Jones, RT, Ohio State

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I have checked out about 20 mock drafts. They are all over the place. I truly have no idea what is going to shake out. I guess this might be a bit less cloudy after free agency.

Genesis and whag00 like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, no Quentin Johnson in rd 1? Great pick if he falls to 33.

coachbadlee and red5rocket like this.
  6. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

That’s what makes draft season so exciting

Verbal Christ likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. Bryce Young — Young is the quarterback with the best poise, fewest concerns and most "face of the franchise" personality. He'll fit in perfectly with the Texans.

12. Lukas Van Ness — Van Ness just crushed the combine. His physical components and play strength will likely remind DeMeco Ryans of the players he had on his excellent defense in San Francisco.

Fulgore and B-Bob like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Colts: Bryce Young — He’s special. Poise he brings to the table. Nothing ever bothers him. He’s mobile but not necessarily a runner, extends plays, eyes always down field. He reminds me of Patrick Mahomes. The game is slow to him and everything is relaxed. … Slender frame. Teams are worried. Can he last 17 games? | Kiper: He’s QB number one for me by slimmest of margins.

2. Texans: CJ Stroud — 2nd best QB in this class. He can throw all 3 levels. Pure passer. This Houston team had worst QBR of any team. You know it’s gonna be QB. If they want Young, will they try to make a trade with Chicago? | Kiper: Levis is my QB #2. Stroud did everything you wanted over the last couple months. (Georgia game, combine) Stroud is right there. You can make an argument he’s not an outlier like Young.

3. Cardinals: Will Anderson Jr. — Best defensive player in this draft. This guy is powerful, stronger than people think, special edge rusher and NFL ready right now. | Kiper: I don’t see special with Will Anderson Jr. He’s a safe pick. Not a Bosa, Von or Myles Garrett. Can he be a 10-12 sack guy? Yeah. Great kid, hard worker but don’t see elite explosiveness and bend. I don’t see special but solid, reliable, consistent. | McShay: We’re watching different tape.

4. Raiders: Anthony Richardson — Upside, potential to develop. So much to work with here. Talked to some GMs, he’s the guy who can get you fired but also you can’t sleep knowing you passed on him, with potential to be elite if he develops properly. | Kiper: Won’t put him ahead of Levis. No issue with him going this high. Issues with mechanics, accuracy throwing the football. | McShay: Levis has shown what he can be and don’t think Richardson has. He has the most unique traits of all these QBs.

5. Seahawks: Tyree Wilson
    6. Lions: Christian Gonzalez
    7. Bears: Peter Skoronski
    8. Falcons: Nolan Smith

9. Panthers: Will Levis — So much to like. Cannon for an arm. Played in pro style system. Struggle I have is OL was terrible, RB was suspended 4 games, battled injuries. Inside the pocket, when things get muddy, eyes drop, starts to panic, 23 INTs and late mistakes in games. | Kiper: It didn’t come easy for Will because he played at Kentucky. Battled through multiple injuries with a bad OL. 2 years ago, he was excellent. … He’s competitive, big time arm. | McShay: That’s part of the problem, playing QB like a LB. He has to learn to protect himself. The short, easy passes remind me of Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow. Workout warrior. He loves the weight room. The lack of touch underneath. Can he stay healthy, learn some touch, learn when to take risks and learn when to be smart?

10. Eagles: Bijan Robinson
    11. Titans: Paris Johnson Jr.

12. Texans: Jalen Carter — arguably the best player in this draft. Obviously dealing with recent incident, character questions. If Houston is comfortable with his character, I’m sure they’d love to have him at 12. | Kiper: End of the day, he could go 5 to 7. Will you pass on Carter for players you don’t love? Best player in this draft is Jalen Carter.

13. Jets: Broderick Jones
    14. Patriots: Quentin Johnston
    15. Packers: Michael Mayer
    16. Commanders: Devon Witherspoon
    17. Steelers: Emmanuel Forbes
    18. Lions: Lukas Van Ness
    19. Bucs: Joey Porter Jr.
    20. Seahawks: Myles Murphy
    21. Chargers: Jordan Addison
    22. Ravens: Jaxon Smith-Njigba
    23. Vikings: Deonte Banks
    24. Jaguars: Darnell Wright
    25. Giants: Zay Flowers
    26. Cowboys: Dalton Kincaid
    27. Bills: Keion White
    28. Bengals: Anton Harrison
    29. Saints: Bryan Bresee
    30. Eagles: Calijah Kancey
    31. Chiefs: Derick Hall

red5rocket likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya I’d be pretty ecstatic with a Stroud/Carter 1st round.

10. Landry's Tooth

Just a hypo I hadn't thought of...

Say the Texans have Bryce clear #1 but not by enough to trade up.

Say they have Stroud and Levis roughly equal.

Say the Colts move up to 1 with Bears...

What if we offer #2 and our second to Seahawks for #5 and #20?

Gives us 3 first rounders.

Cardinals trade pick #3 to Raiders, Falcons, or Panthers. Bears on clock can take Anderson #4 while having gotten picks, don't move down further.

We then have either Stroud or Levis at 5 and still have 12 and 20 to improve team...

11. Landry's Tooth

PFF mock allowed this:

For

Goff

With 6 I took Anthony Richardson.

Then 12 took Devon Witherspoon and 18 Bijan...

The offense should score points... doesn't address DL or LB in first 2 rounds but getting another top CB across from Stingley should help.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

In my last sim, I traded down with the Colts for their first 4 picks this year and a first next. The trades don’t seem realistic, but I’ll take it.

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I knew it. Anthony Richardson is like GM crack. They know they shouldn't mess with him but they cant help themselves. He was the life of the party at the combine.

Landry's Tooth likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Trade 1.2 to Detroit for 1.6, 1.18 4th rounder.

1.6 Richardson
    1.12 Carter
    1.18 BPA
    2.33 Best TE
    One of 3rds for Achane

Surely Detroit doesn’t think Goff is the long term answer.

#235 Hemingway, Mar 12, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4296868/2023/03/13/nfl-mock-draft-trades-panthers-seahawks/

1. Carolina Panthers (from Chicago): C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Recency bias could be in play with the choice of Stroud over Bryce Young, as the two-time Big Ten offensive player of the year rocked the combine with a wildly impressive passing display. There are also ongoing questions over whether teams are cool taking the 5-foot-10 Young if they consider other quarterbacks equally viable. This decision won’t come down to height, but rather the size of the decision-makers’ collective comfort with this massive decision.

The Texans land a wizard in the pocket and a Heisman Trophy-winning face-of-the-franchise candidate. Perhaps there’s a world in which Houston waits on selecting a passer, knowing there are potential gems in the 2024 class, but all the losing with a lack of hope gets old. Pairing Young with first-year head coach DeMeco Ryans changes that.

3. Seattle Seahawks (from Arizona): Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida | Projected trade: Nos. 5, 52, 123 and a 2024 third-round pick to Arizona for No. 3
    4. Indianapolis Colts: Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
    5. Arizona Cardinals (from Seattle): Will Anderson Jr., Edge, Alabama
    6. Detroit Lions: Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
    7. Las Vegas Raiders: Tyree Wilson, Edge, Texas Tech
    8. Atlanta Falcons: Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
    9. Chicago Bears (from Carolina): Peter Skoronski, OT, Northwestern
    10. Philadelphia Eagles: Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
    11. Tennessee Titans: Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio State

12. Houston Texans: Nolan Smith, Edge, Georgia

There’s a best-player-available quality to this selection. No advanced degree in roster-building would be required to understand if the Texans provided their new quarterback with a potential WR1, which seems to be a mock draft constant. But viable WRs will be available on Day 2, while the list of pass rushers in the second and third rounds shrinks. Smith, a potential edge-rushing freak whom DeMeco Ryans would enjoy, ran a 4.39 40 and broad-jumped 10-foot-8 at 238 pounds at the combine.

13. New York Jets: Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
    14. New England Patriots: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
    15. Green Bay Packers: Jordan Addison, WR, USC
    16. Kansas City Chiefs (from Washington): Lukas Van Ness, Edge, Iowa | Projected trade: Nos. 31, 63, 134, 217 and 2024 fourth to Washington for Nos. 16 and 150
    17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
    18. Detroit Lions: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
    19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
    20. Seattle Seahawks: Myles Murphy, Edge, Clemson
    21. Los Angeles Chargers: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
    22. Baltimore Ravens: Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
    23. Minnesota Vikings: Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland
    24. Jacksonville Jaguars: Brian Branch, S, Alabama
    25. New York Giants: Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
    26. Dallas Cowboys: Austin Kincaid, TE, Utah
    27. Buffalo Bills: Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh
    28. Cincinnati Bengals: Anton Harrison, OT, Oklahoma
    29. New Orleans Saints: Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson
    30. Philadelphia Eagles: Keion White, DE, Georgia Tech
    31. Washington Commanders (from Kansas City): O’Cyrus Torrence, G, Florida

Fulgore likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pre-...while-eagles-take-jaxon-smith-njigba-at-no-10

1. CAROLINA PANTHERS (VIA CHI): QB BRYCE YOUNG, ALABAMA

Bottom line in PFF's 2023 NFL Draft Guide: An offensive coordinator will have to do some things to scheme around Young's height, but it's a small price to pay for everything else he brings to the table.

Moving down makes too much sense for the Bears, and if the Panthers want to guarantee a shot at Bryce Young, who produced PFF passing grades above 90.0 in each of the past two seasons, they need to get to No. 1 overall. I suspect, in the end, the pick here will be Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud, but if it were up to me, I’d go with Young.

2. HOUSTON TEXANS: QB C.J. STROUD, OHIO STATE

Bottom line in PFF's 2023 NFL Draft Guide: As a passer, Stroud is nothing like the other two first-round quarterbacks who came out of Ohio State before him. And that bodes well for his NFL prospects.

Many thought that the Texans would wind up moving up to No. 1, but the Bears were able to land a huge haul by moving down to No. 9 with Carolina. The Texans shouldn’t feel too disheartened though, with Stroud producing 27 and 29 big-time throws in each of the past two seasons.

3. ARIZONA CARDINALS: ED WILL ANDERSON, ALABAMA
    4. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: QB ANTHONY RICHARDSON, FLORIDA
    5. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS (VIA DEN): DI JALEN CARTER, GEORGIA
    6. DETROIT LIONS (VIA LAR): QB WILL LEVIS, KENTUCKY
    7. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: CB CHRISTIAN GONZALEZ, OREGON
    8. ATLANTA FALCONS: ED TYREE WILSON, TEXAS TECH
    9. CHICAGO BEARS: WR QUENTIN JOHNSTON, TCU
    10. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: WR JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA, OHIO STATE
    11. TENNESSEE TITANS: T PETER SKORONSKI, NORTHWESTERN

12. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA CLE): CB DEVON WITHERSPOON, ILLINOIS

Bottom line in PFF's 2023 NFL Draft Guide: Witherspoon may not have an elite physical skill set for the position, but his senior-year tape was as good as we've seen in our nine years of college grading.

In an ideal world, the Texans would love to grab Quentin Johnston here, but with him off the board to the Cardinals, I simply opted to take the highest-ranked player remaining on the PFF big board. Witherspoon allowed just 22 receptions and had 17 combined pass breakups and interceptions in 2022.

13. GREEN BAY PACKERS (VIA NYJ): ED LUKAS VAN NESS, IOWA | (Trade: Jets send No. 13 overall, Packers send QB Aaron Rodgers)
    14. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: DB BRIAN BRANCH, ALABAMA
    15. GREEN BAY PACKERS: TE DALTON KINCAID, UTAH
    16. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: T PARIS JOHNSON, OHIO STATE
    17. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: CB JOEY PORTER JR., PENN STATE
    18. DETROIT LIONS: DI CALIJAH KANCEY, PITTSBURGH
    19. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: T BRODERICK JONES, GEORGIA
    20. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: ED NOLAN SMITH, GEORGIA
    21. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: DI BRYAN BRESEE, CLEMSON
    22. BALTIMORE RAVENS: WR JORDAN ADDISON, USC
    23. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: CB DEONTE BANKS, MARYLAND
    24. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: T ANTON HARRISON, OKLAHOMA
    25. NEW YORK GIANTS: TE MICHAEL MAYER, NOTRE DAME
    26. DALLAS COWBOYS: WR ZAY FLOWERS, BOSTON COLLEGE
    27. BUFFALO BILLS: T DAWAND JONES, OHIO STATE
    28. CINCINNATI BENGALS: ED MYLES MURPHY, CLEMSON
    29. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS (VIA DEN): CB EMMANUEL FORBES, MISSISSIPPI STATE
    30. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: RB BIJAN ROBINSON, TEXAS
    31. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: ED FELIX ANUDIKE-UZOMAH, KANSAS STATE

red5rocket likes this.
  18. Landry's Tooth

I would like to see them move 12 to back of first round and pickup another 2...

Here are some needs:

Center
    Outside linebacker
    Running Back
    Wide Receiver
    Tight End

There should be numerous options at this positions in that range. Most years you would get the 2nd or 3rd best player at the position...

If they could get TE Meyer and C Wypler for 12 alone I would be happy...

Then maybe move 33 and a 3rd to get a couple mid 2s...

Would love to get Michael Wilson in 3rd or 4th as vertical threat.

raining threes likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...xans-nfl-mock-draft-three-rounds-17845786.php

First round (No. 2): Bryce Young, QB, Alabama

Don't rule out the Texans trading up to the No. 1 pick to ensure they get their top choice, rather than having their decision hinge on what the Panthers will do.

The Panthers aren’t quite sure yet who they’ll pick. The decision-makers within Carolina’s organization (coach Frank Reich, owner David Tepper, and general manager Scott Fitterer) surely have their preferences, but a choice hasn't been decided.

Having said that, many around the league believe Reich favors C.J. Stroud.

As for the Texans, Bryce Young seems to fit the type of player DeMeco Ryans and Nick Caserio’s often speak about. Caserio talks about players having great attitudes. Ryans said he wants to know about a player’s character and how that outweighs everything.

Young is viewed as the most pro-ready quarterback in this draft. He was nicknamed the Steph Curry of college football for his ability to make amazing plays. But the thing that is mentioned most is his leadership, how much he loves football, and how well-regarded he is by his former Alabama teammates.

Consider what Ryans said about Young at the combine.

“I know Bryce is an outstanding leader from what I’ve seen, and an outstanding quarterback,” Ryans said. “It’s no surprise the success that he’s had. Just because of the makeup, the type of guy that he is.”

In the three seasons and 36 games in Tuscaloosa, Young threw 80 touchdowns against 12 interceptions, completed 65.8 percent of his passes and won 23 of his 27 starts.

Young’s size is legitimate concern for some teams. At the NFL scouting combine, he measured at 5-foot-10 ⅛ and weighed 204 pounds. Some scouts question his durability and wonder if he can take the hits from NFL defenders. He played through a shoulder injury during the 2022 season.

But he’s still so good and has all the traits that it would a shock if he was still on the board and the Texans didn’t take him. He could be their future.

The real question over the next few weeks is, after personal workouts and interviews, will Young be the Panthers’ preference come April 27? His size concerns them, too. And they might be open to trading back.

But there are some in the Carolina organization who like Young, and recognize that with his intangibles, he’s arguably the safest pick in this draft.

But for now, it seems Stroud is the guy, leaving the Texans with Young.

First round (No. 12): Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State

If defensive linemen Will Anderson, Jalen Carter, Tyree Wilson or Myles Murphy were available at No. 12, the Texans would take one of those, even Carter despite his recent misdemeanor charges and poor performance at his pro day.

They are all among the most talented players in this draft and address a major need but will likely be gone by the time the Texans pick.

That leaves another need: Wide receiver. And with Brandin Cooks’ inevitable trade (league sources expect it to happen at some point), the Texans need to find their No. 1 receiver.

Smith-Njigba improved his stock with his performance at the NFL combine. The biggest question regarding him was the hamstring injury that limited him to three games and five catches for 43 yards last season. He didn’t look hampered by it at the combine. In fact, some believe he looked the best among the wide receivers who participated in drills.

The thing to remember about Smith-Njigba is what he did with Ohio State when he was healthy in 2021. He played with NFL offensive rookie of the year candidates Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson — the latter won the award — and Smith-Njigba was arguably the best receiver on that roster.

Smith-Njigba (6-0, 197) led that Buckeyes team with 95 catches for 1,606 receiving yards. He also had nine touchdowns. Wilson had 70 catches for 1,058 yards and 12 TDs. Olave had 65 catches for 936 yards and 13 TDs.

Second round (No. 33): Keion White, DE, Georgia Tech
    Third round (No. 65) Tyjae Spears, RB, Tulane
    Third round (No. 73): Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State

red5rocket likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...eams-to-trade-up-in-post-free-agency-edition/

2. CJ Stroud: Several league sources told us that the Texans were high on Young, but clearly not high enough to pay to move up one spot. Still, the team desperately needs a quarterback and C.J. Stroud, who some teams are convinced will be in the mix for QB1, is the consolation prize. Stroud was impressive during the 2022 season and even more so when we spoke to him in person, first at the Super Bowl and then at the combine. He's a better passer coming out of Ohio State than Justin Fields.

12. Lukas Van Ness: Jerry Hughes, who had nine sacks last season, is 34 years old and entering the final year of his deal. Ogbonnia Okoronkwo was second on the team with 5.5 sacks, but he signed with the Browns in free agency. The Texans did trade for Shaq Mason to solidify the interior offensive line, and an offensive tackle is certainly an option here, but instead Houston goes with pass-rusher. Lukas Van Ness never started a game at Iowa, but that's not the point. The point is that NFL teams love his size, his athleticism, and where his game could be a couple of years from now. Purdue's George Karlaftis went at the end of Round 1 a year ago, and USC's Drake Jackson went a round later; both players were high-upside prospects who exceeded expectations as rookies. Van Ness is in the same conversation but could be the best of the bunch.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2023-nfl-mock-draft-after-free-agency/

2. Houston Texans — Bryce Young QB, Alabama
    Houston is the beneficiary of the Panthers choosing to pick Stroud and pass on the real QB1 in this class, Bryce Young. Young is a playmaking QB with the intangibles to be the face of a franchise and lead this organization to better days.

12. Houston Texans (via CLE) — Jordan Addison WR, USC
    I love the Robert Woods signing by the Texans but I still believe they need some receiver help. Jordan Addison is still my WR1 and he would be a playmaker for Young.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/202...ency-bryce-young-cj-stroud-anthony-richardson

2. Houston Texans — Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
    12. Houston Texans — Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-mock-draft-3-rounds-post-free-agency-updated-projections/

12. Houston Texans: Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson
    33. Texans: Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
    65. Texans: Jordan Battle, S, Alabama
    73. Texans: Nathaniel Dell, WR, Houston

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2023-nfl-mock-quarterback-draft-anthony-richardson-will-levis
    2. Bryce Young
    12. Quentin Johnston

#240 J.R., Mar 20, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    charlieaustin likes this.