1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley For a 1 st round pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StevieFlight3, May 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

I would trade him staight up for chicagos number 7th pick and get Hakim Warrick what do yall think about that

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

why would chicago give up a #7 pick. Mobley and Rose. That wouldn't work. You thought Steve and Cuttino was bad, that would be terrible. Talk about having chandler and curry regress.

For Cuttino we could get a late 1st round pick but also would have to take on salary, but i don't see it happening honestly.

we will most likely have the same roster, you can take that to the bank

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

more youth and raw talent is not what the rockets need.

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

mobley is not god but it makes me sick how much some of you underrate him. hes averaged around 18 ppg the last 3 or 4 seasons. while not perfect for this team, teams would definitely give us more than a late 1st round pick for him. are you insane?!

5. drpepper

drpepper Member

First of all, Warrick isn't even in the draft. Second, Why would we trade a proven left handed scorer for a 19 year old rookie thats as solid as a stick?

Yea, he's long and can jump , but that's not worth Cat. Those guys are a dime a dozen in college.

Don't get me wrong, I like the kid, but just not for Cat.
    Now you say Mooch for Hakim, done deal!

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

value or not, I doubt anyone will give up a modern 1st rd pick for Mobley. some team may do a Memphis-Det trade and give up OT for a 1st rd pick 6yrs later. If the rockets see a player they really,really like in the mid first rd or maybe around Bostons 2nd 1st rd pick, they may be able to pull it off, but the rocckets would still have to take back 4.5 mill worth of salary.

7. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

LOL! Mobley for a first round pick? Yeah right what team would do that? While he is a good player, he is not worth a 1st rd pick. Can you say "Mobley is over rated here on the BBS"

8. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

he is in the draft heres a link go look at number 7

9. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Mobley by himself can get probably get the Rockets a 1st round pick beyond the 8th or 9th pick or so. Teams will show some interest in Mobleys name. Throw Griffs name out there if necessary. If theres a good young point guard still availabe after the 8th pick or so - a guy like Ford, Ridnour, or that kid from Kansas - I hope the Rox go after another teams pick.

10. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I'm not a big Mobley fan, but c'mon. Dude is a scorer. He doesn't fit with the Rockets (in Rudy's system, anyway), but he's worth more than a mid- to late-first round pick.

Unless we can get a veteran big man for Mobley, it makes very little sense to move him.

11. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

You gotta be kidding right?

What do you think Philly would give up to acquire a second scoring option who is "cap friendly"? Orlando? New Jersey? MINNESOTA? New Orleans? Boston? Memphis!? ...

12. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

I defintiely agree some of these guys are underestimating mobleys value.. lets not forget about his friendly contract that greedy owners adore.. then there is his age which puts him in his prime.. and then theres the fact that he's coming from one of the best basketball organizations around.. and the guy has a billboard of himself in the fourth largets city in America, that has to count for something!.. one may be turned off by the whole publicist thing but then again they may feel that hints of a inner confidence within him.. they may say - " I want a guy like that on my team because he knows he's going to hit it big someday!"

But GreenVegan, you say you only go after a good big man. what if we can get a one of those three point guards I mention in my above post.. remeber Steve has said he's ready to play shooting guard so he would be moved to Mobleys spot.. so if one of those three point guards are on the board, I say we steal one.

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Not with a straight face, no.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Washington has cap space.

Cuttino for #10 pick, Leandrinho Barbosa. Defense and size at the PG spot.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Can you say "You don't have any clue as to how little value most NBA first round draft picks have outside of the top 5 or 6 picks?"

This is not the NFL. Most NBA first round picks outside of the top 10 or so never become regular starters, let alone legitimate NBA scorers. I don't feel like having to list all the first rounders who busted as opposed to those who became all star quality players because I would be typing all night long.

Look at the shooting guards taken in the first round of the draft last year; Kareem Rush? Freddie Jones? Yeah those guys are amazing, you'd have to be crazy to say that Cuttino is better than them.

:rolleyes:

16. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Where do we sign?
    Barbosa would be my first choice from this draft to replace SF at the 1.
    One thing to remember also is that Washington might loose Stackhouse if he opts out of his contract,thus replacing him with a cheap Mobley.

ALA

17. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Name some people who have been traded for a first round pick please, so we can compare them to Mobley. Mobley may be worth a really late first round pick at the most, im talkin 26,27,28 etc. As for his cap friendly contract.... Do you not think a team will consider the long term, "How much will he demand at the end of his contract, and will he resign with us when he is a free agent?" If there is any doubt, I dont think they will consider it. Do you guys ever consider wether a player will mesh with a team? Dont you think Gm's look into that. The only teams that will take Cuttino Mobley type play are lotto teams. Cuttino will have to do a lot of growing up before any decent contender/playoff team even looks at him. And why would a team come off any pick upwards of say #20? I just dont see it... A sweetner to that deal would have to be thrown in, IE EG or someone. Hopefully for the Rockets sake someone would be dumb enough to do it.... Hopefully, I am proven wrong...
    By the way comparing rookies to Cuttion surely helps your case. Why dont you compare Cuttino's Rookie stats with theres and then get back to me....:rolleyes:

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Why don't you name some people who were picked after 15 recently that have made an impact? And I guarantee you anyone you name, everyone probably thinks the scout/coach/GM who chose them is a genius to find someone worth something that low. Everyone know's anyone beyond 10th pick is not likely to be a starter in the league past 3-4 years down the line. Cuttino is definitely a starter in most teams.
    Having said that, I wish we could trade him away. But don't think we're going to give him up for a late 1st round pick.

19. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

While saying this you have to look at teams too. I think the best picks the Rockets could get for the guy are 17-19, Phoenix, Utah, New Orleans and maybe 22, NJ, but if I were the Rockets I wouldn't pursue any of these picks.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

OK, I have to agree with the folks saying this thread is underestimating Cat's value. This guy is a proven scorer! On some team's he could be there #1 guy. Name three? OK, how about Den (3) or Bucks (8) or Wiz (10)?

Now, I don't think that Den would give up #3 (probably Camelo) for just Mobes, but we do have plenty of sweetner and with the youth they have already, adding some young vets would be ideal.

Bucks? Mobes and Cassell wouldn't be a bad backcourt and would give them more instant impact than a #8 guy.

Wiz? If Stack goes, who's their go-to-guy? Mobes is from Philly and this moves him closer to home.

If we could work any of these trades, I'd target...

#3: Camelo Anthony - SF
    #8 or #10: Luke Ridnour - PG

Melo would give us a third scoring option and another young star to build with. Maybe we could give them some combo of Mobes, MoT, Moochie & future #1. I know, I'm dreaming.

I think we could get #8 or #10 for Mobes straight up, but then I'm not a GM.

Thoughts?