1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley DPOTY Finalist

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sengoat28, Apr 15, 2023.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Mobley is a great defender.

Thats about it. Not sure how this guys was touted a "unicorn".

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley is a nice player but he clearly isn't ready for the playoffs from a physical standpoint. I'm not gonna overreact to it and call him a scrub/bum though lol.

I doubt Jabari would do much better - these guys are really young.

i3artow i3aller and Easy like this.
  3. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

B/c for about two season, the mobley dck riders been btching and moaning about how green was the wrong pick (still do). Every few threads, u would see them want to trade green, or nitpick his game.

Now that mobley's getting exposed in the playoffs, hopefully it shuts them up about green.

roslolian likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think Green was the wrong pick either. But to be honest, Green's first two seasons have been disappointing, although there were definitely flashes for hope. I am not very optimistic Green would have done very well if he made the playoffs this year. Let's watch for a couple more years to see who is going to have a better career.

apollo33 likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Disappointing compared to who? Luka? Lebron? Ja? Sure.

roslolian and DreamShook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

People had unfair expectations and assumed linear improvement.

The names people were mentioning were the best to ever play..... Jordan, Bryant, Harden, Wade and Carter.

That should not be the measure for anyone really, but that is really lofty territory.

The reality is that if he has a career like Ray Allen, Mitch Richmond, Lowery, Butler - that tier, if he has a career like that, it was a VERY good outcome.

I think right now he is a little behind the kid in Minnesota at the same point in time, but I think that can be made up over the next few years - and ANT was the #1 choice, not #2... a year earlier.

7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

come on man..

also Silas is an ass coach. i will always remind y'all.. first season he was in the corner, the next season they ran no plays for him. every possession was a struggle iso.

#107 DreamShook, Apr 24, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
    i3artow i3aller, J Sizzle and justinh like this.
  8. fchowd0311

I don't even get the point in pigeon holing Green to a certain ceiling. His trajectory looks like Booker, AI, possibly Wade level.

Green is doing a lot of impressive things for a 19-21 year old. Ages that many of the players you listed weren't even in the NBA yet.

roslolian and OremLK like this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Why do we have to compare? We have to compare Green with Mobley, and compare him with other great players, etc. Why can't we compare our expectations of HIM when he was drafted?

Disappointment has to do with expectations. It happens when reality does not match your expectations. I don't know about you. I had high expectations for Green when we drafted him. So yeah, his performance so far has been disappointing but still hopeful. A lot of it may be coaching. And it may also be age and physical development.

10. fchowd0311

So what was your expectation?

Being top 5 all time in ppg average before age 21 instead of top 10?

roslolian likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with you that Green should not be pigeonholed but a lot of Rockets fans have done that, so the expectations are possible but unrealistic.

The game is different now that when AI, Wade, Kobe were in the league as teenagers or very young - it is easier to get stats now, so hard to compare.

Devin Booker isn't in the same class as Wade or Harden or Kobe - but he is a fantastic player, and would be a really good outcome for Green or Edwards, or just about any prospect not named LeBron.

Booker is in the same class as players like Alex English, Otis Birdsong and George Gervin - which is HOF.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Jabari and Green combo > Mobley and Jaden Ivey

13. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

But they call him a UNICORN though! HAHAHAA! More like a sorry ass Scrub!!

rockets1995 likes this.
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My disappointment is mainly on his shooting. I thought he was a better shooter than what he has shown. At the end of last season, he showed significant improvement, only to go back to bad shooting again in the second season. That was disappointing.

I still have high expectations in him. So it's not like I declare him a bust or want to trade him or anything like that. But if he doesn't shoot better in his third season with better coaching, then he may end up just a high volume chucker rather than a dependable cornerstone piece.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Not sure why people want to sh*t on Mobley to prop up Green, it actually doesn't make sense. Because even if Mobley didn't exist, Green's play has been at most mediocre for his draft position.

Mobley has found a consistent role already at the same age as Green, which is consistent great defense as a rim blocker and switchable big. Even without developing anything else, he's already one of the most valuable defensive young bigs at his age. He has already moved past the stage Green is in now, which is project that does not do much consistently great on offense or defense.

As far as being "exposed" in the playoffs, he has been thoroughly out muscled by the Knicks bigs, probably shell shocked from the intensity as a second year player. All that is pretty normal.

Not to get side tracked again but there are 3 draftees after Jalen that has already developed solid roles for their respective teams and are winning games, Giddey as a great passer and rebounder, Mobley as an excellent defender and Wagner as a efficient scorer. Now who knows what that's going to look like in a few years, but at the moment Jalen is behind some of his peers.

OremLK and Easy like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen has also played in the worst environment by far and with the worst coaching by far

Mobley’s stock would be nowhere near as high as it is if he had been in Houston this whole time

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

in the past 2 seasons, Cavs have a defensive rating of 110.2 in the games Allen has played, and a 114.3 defensive rating in the games he’s been out

110.2 would be the best defense in the league this year…114.3 would rank 20th

In Cleveland, Mobley has Allen to help him out as the backline on defense…In Houston, it would’ve been Christian Wood and Sengun. Nobody would be talking about Mobley’s defense like that if he had been in Houston this whole time because it would have had little impact here

He already sucks on offense while being spoon-fed buckets by Darius Garland and Donovan Mitchell. Who is gonna be assisting all his made baskets in Houston? KPJr? Lol

y’all need to stop it with the Mobley hype and acting like environment doesn’t matter

18. i3artow i3aller

19. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

hahahahahahahahahahaaaaa

20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mobley's consistent role is because he is playing on a team with 3 all stars. He would look pretty bad on the Rockets. Giddey is the same, he is playing with SGA I mean when you have one of the better superstars on your team along with other solid players then yeah, you will look good.Same with Jalen, if he is on a team like say Nuggets where there are superior offensive options then he will be more efficient cuz the defense doesnt focus on him. Instead he is the first option everybody focuses on him. Do Giddey and Mobley have that kind of problem? No. So obv they look good but its die to their team not due to the players.

To be quite frank all of the top 2021 picks apart from Franz have been disappointing this year. They havent really taken that leap guys like Giddey and Mobley are just playing on good teams while Cade, Green and Barnes are playing on bad teams. Green and Cade have the hardest road since they are primary options already thats why if you look at stats they also are the least impressive. Franz is the only one who has taken that leap and he is the best player from that class by a mile so far. Doesnt even have 1 all star on his team helping him out either. Cade, Green, Mobley, Barnes, Giddey, Kuminga all these players are at the same level right now they just on different team levels.

Mobley being a great defender doesnt make him "the most valuable big", it just makes him a role player. He is an offensive liability I can list several guys like him like Trevor Ariza, Shane Battier, PJ Tucker, those guys are more valuable than him cuz they can hit 3s while Mobley can just dunk and layup.

#120 roslolian, Apr 26, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2023