1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley Defensive Anchor Rockets Need.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

In the situation where we are #2, with Cunningham going first yes I'd take Mobley and deal with the position jam. Wood would be on the clock to become an all-star or he would be traded within his 2 contracted years in this scenario. And then it's, well we have this guy Mobley balling out made Wood look overpaid, who will trade for our sadboi Wood? Maybe I'm talking myself out of it...

I really hope we get #1/Cunningham. Cunningham-Porter-Martin-Tate-Wood, that's a 5 I wish to start for the Rockets.

Roxfan4lyfe likes this.
  2. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

I like Suggs I’m hoping the Rockets can draft him if they can’t get Cade

3. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

The Rockets would be crazy to past up Green for Mobley, Cade and Green are NBA ready

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

No Kuminga?

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Timelines are not as age dependent as they are production dependent.

Wood started to become productive last season at 24, same time Porter became productive but he was 19.

And vet role players are critical to surround young players to effect postseason success.

Populating roster with all 19-22 year olds doesnt mean they will all be progressing on same timeline.

This thinking is too linear.

Little Bit likes this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'd be 100% happy with either Mobley or Suggs. Incredibly lucky we will get a high end prospect in the very first year of the rebuild.

7. dmoneybangbang

I'm just not as high on Mobley as the board is. He definitely has good instincts for his size but paradoxically I think he's more of a project due to his size and shooting (30% 3pt and 69% FT). Not saying he can't put it together or he has a low floor, but he's a pretty slender unicorn more in the vain of Jonathan Isaacs than Porzingis.

Not really sure where to put him on the board but he's definitely top 5.

rpr52121 likes this.
  8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only the top pick in the draft will save this team.

9. dmoneybangbang

We keep our draft picks for next consecutive seasons; including this season, we have 3 years of draft picks to go from rebuilding to competing for the 8th seed.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'd rather have Isaac than Porzingas honestly.

11. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I’d rather have Cade or Suggs.

Bo6 likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

I lean more towards a guard or wing than either Isaac or Porzingas if I could choose. It's not because of fit, just how the NBA has been trending in my opinion. If Mobley took the G League route and put up those same numbers against better and physically stronger competition then I'd think Mobley's floor is much higher.

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

He is not even the defensive anchor on his own team. I've seen him as a wing defender left side on the back line of their 2-3 zone.

He couldn't contain Gonzagas Timme and Timme is not lottery bound. How is he going to handle the centers and power forwards of the NBA?

I can't see him handling J Randle down low or Trea Young on the perimeter. I doubt he puts on 10
    pounds by age 27.....much like Nerlens who
    has put on 10 pounds in 7 years.

#33 ApacheWarrior, Apr 5, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

seems like a nice player but i'd rather have cade, suggs, or green.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

I think we need a lead guard badly. Modern NBA says you need elite guard play to win so unless he has the potential to be an Embiid, Anthony Davis, Jokic level big man, I’d rather pass. Drafting big men at the top of the draft on the potential of what you think they can be just seems to fail more often than not. I don’t want to be stuck holding a Deandre Ayton or worse a Marvin Bagley or James Wiseman while passing on a Luka or Melo for example and having to watch the highlights every other night.

We need an elite guard. I don’t think KPJ is that dude. I Hope I’m wrong, and I’m not saying he can’t be part of the core, but I just don’t see stardom.

Reeko likes this.
  16. fattz

fattz Member

I think the league is moving away from dominant bigs. A player like Sharpe taken in the mid twenties is the way to go. Green and Suggs are the most ready and least likely to bust, IMO. Drafting role players later on in the draft to fill needs. Rebounding can be addressed in other ways besides the center, too.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

agreed...gimme the skilled wing player or guard that can shoot over the big any day, especially in today’s NBA, unless that big is gonna be Embiid, Jokic, or Davis tier

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

I understand where people say he has potential, but it feels like every aspect of his requires major development right now. If the Rockets didn't have all those obligations to OKC, taking the gamble here makes sense. But otherwise it seems like a major risk for player who will probably never be the focal point of offense in today's NBA. I honestly would rather Suggs or Green.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. dmoneybangbang

I kinda feel like he's a bit like Kuminga, in that he's more of a project. I think he's more skilled/polished than Kuminga but I really worry he's going to struggle physically. I think Mobley has high enough bball IQ to possibly make up for it his first few years but that's an optimistic projection.