1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley @ #2 or Şengün @ #16

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ickaruto, Nov 18, 2021.

?

Mobley or Şengün

1. Mobley @ #2

42 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Şengün @ #16

77 vote(s)
    64.7%
  1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When Jalen plays well the dialogue shifts to other problems conveniently, but the kid is just not getting universal support from Rocket fans and thats ok. Everyone had their preference. What is odd is that Mobley tracking is now a thing. Would ANY of the top 5 picks made more of a difference than Green? Who would have flourished the most in this dysfunction? Sengun is a fine player. I wish he were more athletic, but his fundamental skills are top notch and worthy of more time to develop. I would bring KPJ off the bench when he comes back from injury and see how that dynamic plays out since the play has been "better" with him nursing injury so attributing the poor play solely to Jalen Green is not entirely a reality.

I just hope this team doesnt turn out to be the worst in NBA history - thats a tough pill for any ROX fan to swallow.

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Agreed, but you just KNOW that a lot of the Mobley Mob want it to happen so they can puff themselves up and blame it all on drafting Jalen.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats the sad part. You cant undo the pick so why keep pining and miring in self doubt? Loathing any success for who is here just to say you were right? After 17 games? Its so counter productive and divisive. We should all be trying to support Jalen and find ways for this team to show signs of growth - Jalen Green is nowhere near a bust and fits right in line with other players of his age who have entered the NBA. Holding him to some higher standard just because its easy to attack him when he plays poorly is lame - all the while shouting support for some other player on another team in a completely different situation. This is a multi year rebuild and some expectations are just unrealistic.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

I blame Silas and Stone. Silas for not understanding roster construction and as a fraud offensive genius. Stone for hiring Silas, not putting him on hot seat and for some strange decisions so far - signing Theis over KO, offering extension to Dipo, House still on team, no on court philosophy, etc.

Green is not to blame for being drafted.

hakeem94 and Verbal Christ like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets had 2nd overall pick.

Yet 4 of the top 5 players refused to work out for Houston.

CF loves to point out that Mobley refused to work out for Rockets (not official) but fail or refuse to recognize that 4 other top players also did not work out for Rockets.

Using this flimsy logic Rockets could only draft Green, the ONE player willing to work out.

Perhaps the better question is why the FO was so incompetent, either in their inability to hide their blatant choice prior to draft or the organization's very public reputation for chaos and thrift.

The FO should be looking in the mirror right now.

ICanDunkOnYao, jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  7. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Disagree on Stone. KO was not worth the extra money and was a poor defensive player. Theis is maybe a little overpaid and is a bad fit with Wood. Agree on Dipo, although I don’t think it was totally unreasonable to think he could rebound from his injury. His good moves and draft far out way his mistakes. The real question on my mind is whether he is forcing Silas into playing House and Theis or if not will he force Silas to play Segun and KJM more. Either way I think Stone has the potential to be a great GM and deserves a chance to continue to manage this re-build.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone has done what exactly to earn your hope for "greatness".

The bar around here has dropped precipitously the last 2 seasons.

Rockets just had their worst season in franchise history.

And are now projected to have the worst season in NBA history.

I know that just screams greatness to me. :rolleyes:o_O

What is wrong with CF????

cdastros and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Stone was dealt a very difficult hand. He got Tate, KPJ, KJM, and Matthews for next to nothing. His draft and move to get Sengun was impressive. Thank God he didn’t re-sign Dipo which would have been a mistake. This team is in the perfect position for a quick re-build to contention. We have our own pick next year, so losing this year is important. Theis and Gordan are traceable assets next year for more assets. I didn’t like Nwaba signing or the House extension, but those guys are cheap and its no big deal since we can’t do anything in FA until Wall is gone. Patience is not one of your virtues, I take it.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

You said GREATNESS.

I am just questioning your pie in the sky projections even while you question multiple choices he's made.

And you keep pointing out what if's while I've pointed out what has actually occurred.

It's not a question about patience, it's about competence.

jiggyfly and hakeem94 like this.
  11. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Yes, and the final product depends hugely on how you develop them. If you have incompetent coaching and/or management, you might end up with the worse player, regardless of who you drafted.

D-rock, aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Losers, professional losers everywhere...

D-rock likes this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No GM is going to hit on everything. Morey certainly didn’t. Blaming this year on Stone is way overboard. He is at a minimum competent just because of the draft he just executed and the other 4 players he got for nothing. You are being impatient with this re-build. Silas does seem to be incompetent right now, because he is not using some excellent assets in the correct way to build for the future. Maybe he turns it around, but I expect Stone to get rid of him if not.

16. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Let's get a decent coach that will give Sengun starter minutes before we evaluate.

8, 6, and 7 in 21 minutes when the starters aren't doing any better. At least his minute load is inching closer.

Quite honestly, I'd rather Sengun lead our team in minutes at this rate.

D-rock, aaquaa and Downtown Sniper like this.
  17. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd rather Sengun lead the team in every facet.

Jalen talks about wanting to be the leader, then goes and stands in the corner and doesn't move.

Sengun commands the ball and dictates where his teammates need to be. His IQ is amazing for a 19 year old. I am so fearful the rockets ruin him.

D-rock, hakeem94, tycoonchip and 5 others like this.
  18. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

9. Alperen Sengun, Houston Rockets
    One of the more dumbfounding things I’ve seen recently in the NBA happened on Wednesday night, when Stephen Silas only played Sengun for a five-minute stretch in the second quarter of the Rockets’ game against Oklahoma City. The Rockets are 1-14 this season. They are horrible and don’t really have any chance to make the playoffs. This ship isn’t turning around for the 2021-22 season. Silas said he thought Daniel Theis was playing too well to take off the court, but that’s such bizarre rationale that doesn’t match the situation the Rockets are in. Sengun is producing at a pretty high level and playing well. Over the past nine games prior to that one, Sengun had averaged 10 points, five rebounds, two assists and a steal in just 20 minutes per game. He’s been outplaying Theis for the last three weeks despite getting fewer minutes.

Sengun does get his feet stuck in the mud on defense sometimes, and there are moments where he gets cooked defensively. But his feel for the game and reactivity is outstanding. He’s fifth in the NBA in deflections per minute. Even if he’s still learning how to best use his body to make up for the lack of mobility, he’s not totally useless out there because he creates a lot of transition offensive opportunities. But all of that pales in comparison to what he does offensively, which is where his real value lies. The team is just so much better when he’s out there. He fosters ball movement and has an innate sense of how to find the open areas of the court out of ball screens, knowing when to short roll or roll all the way to the rim to pressure the defense. Right now, he’s best as a high-post initiator who reads the floor, sees what’s available and has real dribble/pass/shoot ability to actually take advantage of it. He essentially allows the Rockets to play four- or five-out while also maintaining a presence on the glass because of how smart and instinctive he is as a rebounder.

He also excels at the “spin-and-seal” when teams switch against him. He’ll prep to set a screen, and as soon as he realizes they’re going to switch it, he slips it and gets a body on the ballhandler defender by spinning in order to seal him off and create a post mismatch. He’s pretty lethal as a post mismatch scorer, as he has a ton of tricks.

I’d expect that by the end of the year, when he’s playing 25 to 30 minutes per night because the Rockets are truly out of it, he will be among the most productive rookies in the class. Where his ultimate future lies is in his ability to hold up consistently on defense.

Here you go. I WON'T post the Jalen Green part because this is a Sengun thread and I'm tired of people bashing our 19 yr old rookie.

19. Milos

Milos Member

- signed our new GM Stone

He had 4 FRPs in this draft
    He took:
    - 2 Guards: Green + Christopher
    - 2 Bigs: Sengun + Garuba

As someone pointed out earlier

If you're trying to do click-bait ... you're doing it wrong

D-rock likes this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member