1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo Williams available... Could he shore up our PG spot sufficiently?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ehsan, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Here's a bit of news on Mo Williams:

Link

I think Rafer is decent. How about a Rafer/Mo rotation with Brooks becoming the 3rd guard?

I think that solves our PG problems. Williams makes some decent money though.

2. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

Mo is a great scoring pg!! I still don't think he would run the team better then rafer, but he most definitely can put up big numbers on any given day. Plus his contract is probably less then his actual value. If we can dump off bobby jackson or head, and a 1st round for him, I'd do it in a heart beat!! he is that 3rd scoring option that we desperately need.

3. luhbron

luhbron Member

I'm going to say no. I had him on my fantasy team and he was NOT consistent. I traded him. Probably for the same reason the Bucks are trading him.

...and he makes twice as much as Rafer.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Didn't he sign a $51.5 million dollar 6 year contract last summer? You would have to decide that he's worth paying millions a year until 2013 and the Bucks would have to be traded something that equals his contract. He missed several games with a thumb injury that finally required season ending surgery and several games with "pubic symphysitis." (what the hell is that??) The 66 games he played saw him putting up excellent numbers. Still want to do it?

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maurice Williams against the Western Conference playoff pool:
    Lakers: 23 pts, 7.5 ast, 45% FG% (2 games)
    Spurs: 15 pts, 3 ast, 57% FG% (2 games)
    Jazz: 21 pts, 6 ast, 41% FG% (1 game)
    Hornets: 15 pts, 7.5 ast, 52% FG% (2 games)
    Mavericks: 27.5 pts, 7.5 ast, 51% FG% (2 games)
    Nuggets: 27 pts, 7 ast, 49% FG% (2 games)
    Suns: 7 pts, 3 ast, 33% FG% (1 game)
    Rockets: 11.5 pts, 9 ast, 36% FG% (2 games)

Overall, 5 20+ point performances in 12 games against our opponents, only once in single figures, and overall averaged 20 points a game against Western Conference playoff teams not named the Rockets.

He's been up over 2 AST/TO the last 4 years now, which is at least passable. Plus he's only 25.

The biggest questions about him are:
    1. Would he be okay as a spot up shooter?
    2. Can he further reduce mistakes without ruining his game?
    3. Can his defense cut it?
    4. Is he worth 8-9m a year for the next 5 years?

6. holysilence

holysilence Member

He has a nickname in China: Mo "No pass" Williams....
    He did a bad job on feeding the ball to inside players, clearly we do not need him

7. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Sincerely,

Yi Jianlian

8. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

If you can get him for cheap - like for Head, some expiring contracts, even Brooks, and 1st round pick - I say do it. He's worth the gamble.

9. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

There's bigger fish to reel in at the trading deadline, in my opinion. I would save all of those expiring contracts for somebody better than Mo Williams.

10. ty185

ty185 Member

8 Mil a year for a proven starter seems to be slightly over-valued. However, considering that this would be THE gaping hole we have atm (backups for tmac and Yao not counting), I would be seriously thinking about this trade.

it won't be my first priority to get it done, but if all bucks are asking is a 1st rounder plus expirings, I would be listening...

11. Asian Sensation

Yes, absolutely! He's only 25 averaged 17 points per game with 6 dimes and if you think he was putting up those numbers while chucking for a bad team its just not the case cause he shot a stellar .480 from the field last year. Remember when Rafer was play well and we were winning on a consistent basis? Well imagine some more of that with Mo Williams starting at pg.

I don't really have a problem with Alston running the point. However, when you have an opportunity to upgrade the position without giving up too much you have to make the move.

12. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

I'd do this trade. How many times during big games and playoffs did we need the backup point to put up ANY points! Mo may not have everything we need, but I believe he has 75% of what we need compared to Bobby current 20%. :p

13. ty185

ty185 Member

well, the problem is, if we trade for mo, he's not going to be a backup. you don't pay 8 mil a year to play backup minutes unless you are knicks.

Is Mo an upgrade to our roster? sure
    Is the extra 30+ million in contract worth the upgrade? I'm undecided atm.

14. Suuso

Suuso Member

Can you imagine this guy taking all the open threes for Rafer?? With him on the floor i dont think his guy will double Yao cause he can shoot the lights out if given open looks. I would take a serious look at this guy.

15. longbow111

longbow111 Member

Of course his guy won't double Yao because Yao won't be able to touch the ball very often just like his first two years here.

16. holysilence

holysilence Member

LOL, that's exactly what I want to say

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Mo Williams seems like what the Rockets hoped Mike James would have been for them had Mike not been washed up. He can be useful... the question is whether you make a committment to him and his rather large contract-- cuz trading for him means not adding anything else significant. There won't be enough money on the budget and the Rockets would have to send away their only expiring contract for salary matching purposes.

I think Mo is on some team's radar, but more as a fallback option if their dream deals don't come through due to the size (particularly length) of his contract.

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

lol if you were williams, would you pass to him...andrew bogut is arguable but mo is definitely on a different level than yi. yi is not ready to be the go to guy inside.

19. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

probably right.

he would be a great addition considering his age and talent, but that contract probably scares off a bunch of teams.

20. clos4life

clos4life Member

$8 per year is not reasonable for this team.