1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo The Magician

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BobFinn*, Feb 17, 2001.

Tags:
  1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

well i think its a combination of both and do think mo should be resigned..a pf/c tandem of him and webber would be great..id love if dream would stay for less too..but who knows..i do think finn is being too hard on him..this offense is based around our guards..thus he doesnt get many touches..like before in clipperville..and to say because mo left the clips are automatically better thats bs..they drafted guys who knew each other and developed a unique,good team chemistry..

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

2. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I absolutely agree with you, Cat. I feel that the Rockets have not taken advantage of alol that Mo brings to the table. Yes he isn't the best rebounder, but he still does so much more for the team. Unfortunately, he only gets around 25 minutes a game. I feel that if the Rockets would post him up a bit more, and make him more of a go-to guy, they would be a much better team. Problem is, I don't think Rudy really trusts him that much. As soon as Mo picks up 2 fouls, he's gone for the half. That's it. No mo Mo. Since he isn't used that much, I think Rudy needs to just keep him in games, and let him get into the flow. They need to make an effort to go to Mo much more, and he should always be in when the game is on the line. He has hit some clutch shots this year, and he could hit a few more if he got the minutes. He is such a great offensive player, he deserves to play more, and get the opportunity to contribute. I'm sorry but Mo is not a pure rebounder and defender. He is an offensive minded player with great skills. The Rockets aren't likely to land Webber. If that is the case, then I don't think they could find a better PF than Maurice Taylor.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

3. alaskansnowman

Mo is starting to become the power player that we need of him. Have you all noticed that during the last few games (especially against the Cavs), that Mo hasn't settled for the jumper most of the time? He's been driving and posting up a lot more, and usually he just barely misses his lil hook shot. One of the main criticisms of Mo was that he would settle for the outside shot too much... now it seems that he's stopped doing that as much. Once he stops gettin in foul trouble and his hook gets more consistent, I think he can be that inside presence that everybody wanted him to be.

And I'd much rather have Mo starting than Kenny. I mean, how would we get our first quarter points without Mo's usual 5 for 5 performance in the first? [​IMG]

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think you just proved that Mo isn't quite as relevant in either case. [​IMG]

------------------
    "Ive seen more class at a Pig Humpin Contest ." -- moestavern19 makes headlines again, and in the process leaves little doubt as to what Saturday nights in his hometown of Lompoc, California are like.

5. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

"Show some examples of lousy passes in the next game or from last night.

2 turnovers for Mo last night:

1. Palming the ball
    2. Standing on the left side of the court near the 3 point line, attempts to throw pass to right side 3 point line. Easily intercepted by Andre Miller.

6 turnovers vs. Magic

1. Palming the ball
    2-6. Attempts to get the ball to Dream, throws ball right to defender, who is fronting Dream. And, Attempts to get ball to Francis or Mobley, throws ball right to defender (in passing lane)

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

That is just two games BobFinn. For most of the year, he has been a great passer. I love his low-post game, and I wish the Rockets would go to it more.

------------------
    "Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning how to put food on their family while being put to death."

7. BobFinn*

Cat,

Do you not see that this team NEEDS an inside presence? Do you not see how well we have been playing of late (except Orlando) with Dream being the intimidator? Imagine Dream and a PF (obviously its not MO) in the paint stopping penetration and grabbing almost every rebound, kicking out to Francis, Mobley or Shandon. And on the offensive end, Dream and ? (obviously not Mo) crashing the offensive glass for easy put backs. While Mo has shown flashes, he has not been anywhere near consistent. I am quickly losing what little patience I had with Mo. Do you not hear Rudy constantly yelling from the bench for Mo to be aggressive? When a coach has to tell you to be agressive (and your a PF) you need to pick up golf.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Bob,

I never once heard Rudy yell that. Will pay attention to his comments the next game to see. But anyway Bob, here is my philosophy on the Rockets. We are one player away from being a major force, and that player is a big man who can defend, block shots, intimidate, and as you said stop the penetration. But I think one other thing is just as important-- and that is low post scoring. To contend you really need a big man who can consistently score when called upon. To me, unless you can pull the jackpot and get Chris Webber, you need one of both-- a big man who can score and another who is adept at crashing the glass, blocking shots, etc. To me, unless you can get a superstar big man, there are two pieces two the puzzle. Imho, Mo is one of those pieces. We need to add that inside presence in addition to Mo, not in place of. Else we'll be sitting here next season with probably the same record or not much better, having this same conversation about getting a low post scorer. You're definitely right about an inside presence being the piece we need to contend. It's just we need one alongside Mo, and not in place of.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

9. BobFinn*

I actually agree with everything you said Cat. I just think Mo will ask for too much money next year, and he is not worth it. If we don't land Webber, we may be the same team next year, without Dream.

------------------
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

10. alaskansnowman

While Mo did make some careless turnovers in the last two games, I think that for the most part, he is a good passer, just like ZRB said. I've seen him make great pin point passes in the middle of traffic before. Also, Rudy/Cd said that one of Mo's advantages was that he was a good passer (that was when we first signed Mo).

------------------
    PrEsident of The Danforth Langhford FAN CLUB... He IS our future All-Star Small Forward

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Bob,

did I sleep post during last night, man i swear, i didn't mean to borrow your password and post such genius, great posts Bob!!

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Suppose for a second you are trying to create a game plan for the Rockets. Imagine, if you will, that after much vexation you have decided that the team's players are best suited for an offense in which the other team's big guys are drawn away from the basket, allowing your speedy, adroit guards to go wild driving to the basket.

The fulcrum upon which this offensive style rests is your ability to draw opposing big men away from the basket, so it is necessary to have a big man who can shoot from outside, (i.e. Mo) but all things considered, would the intelectual knowledge of the big man's jumper be as effective as a demonstration?

Looking at other sports for inspiration, you come uppon football. In football, it is common for teams to script the first 20 or so plays of the game in order to establish a 'tone' for the game. Could this not translate equaly as well to basketball? Could you script a first quarter in which Mo shoots jumpers, stretching the defense, and making Francis and Mobley much more effective for the rest of the game?

In otherwords, could the Rockets be going to Mo early to establish the threat of scoring? Might this threat be more important to the offense in the fourth quarter than just pumping the ball to Mo?

Just a thought.

------------------

13. BobFinn*

Otto,

That is exactly what Rudy does, and it also opens up the low post game (see Dreams recent great games) We have no low post threat besides Dream right now. Mo has the ability but lacks the aggression to be a low post threat. My point is, if Mo is so good, why is he on the bench in the 4th qtr?

answer: We need rebounding and energy, and KT provides those.

------------------
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

14. BobFinn*

Cat,

Mo is just another "hyped up" player who scores, and thats it. His passing is atrocious,he does not rebound well, and he is always in foul trouble and is never on the floor when the 4th quarter rolls around. For someone who is playing for a BIG contract next season, he is doing very little to warrant one.

As for giving 110%, I don't care if you give 150%, if you throw lousy passes, don't rebound, and climb peoples back because your too lazy to work for good position, thus picking up fouls, you are not helping the TEAM

And don't give me that crap about Rudy not running plays for him. Everytime I criticize Mo, all I get are excuses for his poor play. Mo needs to go and get the damn ball off the glass, that is a PF's job.

I have watched Mo all season, he does not give us what we need to win basketball games.

------------------
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited February 18, 2001).]

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

Bob is right. The Rockets do need an inside presence. Hopefully they will draft the right center in this year's draft. However, Mo is the perfect PF for the Rockets. He can score almost at will when the offense is run properly. He can shoot jumpers, throw down nasty dunks, and is developing low post moves.

The Rockets need to resign Mo, and draft a rebounding, defensive Center, and the same for Small Forward.

One last thing... Mo is 24. Work in progress.

------------------
    The next time I have meat and mashed potatoes, I think I'll put a very large blob of potatoes on my plate with just a little piece of meat. And if someone asks me why i didn't get more meat, ill just say, "Oh, you mean this?" and pull out a big piece of meat from inside the blob of potatoes, where ive hidden it. Good magic trick, huh?

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Passing atrocious? From my point of view he's one of the best passing big men in the NBA. He doesn't turn the ball over often at all. Why doesn't he have many assists you may ask? Because Rudy doesn't give him the ball in the post, which in turn could draw a double and a kick out pass for a 3. Doesn't rebound well? Well he's not the best, but not the worst either. He was grabbing 6-9 reb consistently the last two months up until Dream went on his rebounding binge, which limited Mo's rebounding. He's not the best rebounder, but I don't think that's what we need on this team either.

Show some examples of lousy passes in the next game or from last night. I sure don't remember many. As for the fouls, about half of Mo's fouls last night and in all the other games are from having to stop penetrators (Steve, Cuttino, and Shandon's men) from getting easy layins, and he doesn't need to get Dream in foul trouble.

I think his play has been great, not poor for the record. You asked why Mo wasn't doing much after the first quarter. Well, it's a fact that almost no one in the BBS will deny that Mo does not get involved in the offense NEAR as much after the 1st quarter. That's not an excuse-- that's a fact. And it is a little harder to be motivated and rebound, etc. when you are frozen out of the offense. Ask Shaq-- that's been his point all along in the dispute for Kobe and he's exactly right. Most dominant teams have one great rebounder and then one pretty good one. As long as Hakeem is getting double digits in rebounding every night, you cannot expect Mo to get near those numbers. 5 or 6 is more like it when Hakeem is playing like he is now.

So have I, and imho he is EXACTLY what we need to win basketball games. He can go inside with the jump hook, outside with the jumper, take his man off the dribble, shoot lights out to 20 ft, play good defense, and is a decent rebounder. There are a few PF's better, but if we don't get Webber I can't think of one that is attainable. I know Mo isn't 100% responsible, but this team is a winning team with Mo Taylor at the PF spot. That should say something right there. Unless we can get a Webber, he IS what we need.

------------------
    "We're not settling for just getting in the playoffs." "We want a higher seed. There's no doubt. We expect to get in."-- Steve Francis

President of the Mo Taylor and Jason Collier fan club!
    Teams win and lose games, not individuals.

Draftsource.net
    ClutchTown.com

17. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't like Mo's lack of effort on defense, I don't like his lackadasical rebounding efforts, HOWEVER, the object of basketball is to out score your opponents, and Mo CAN score.

I think we need to give him some time to develop, he can contribute to this team for many years....after all he is only 24.

DaDakota

------------------
    If Mankind evolved from monkeys and apes, then why are there still monkeys and apes?

19. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Nomar and other Mo supporters,

The Rockets have to come up with a phenomal rebounding SF to compensate for Mo's weakness? Wouldn't it be better to start with a better rebounding PF in the first place?

The Suns have Marion (rebounding maniac) to make up for Cliff's poor rebooundiing, yet the perception around the league is that the Suns are soft inside. Explain how Taylor + a Marion clone is superior to Cliff + Marion as far as inside toughness. Also, the Rockets would have to figure out how to get a Marion clone.

Mango

------------------
    Spring Cleaning!!!

20. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

The Suns have no true center. Even with just Cato, as long as he's actually on the floor and not hobbling on crutches, I'd think we stronger inside with Mo T and Cato and a Marion clone than Phoenix. I think bringing in a backup PF who brings defense and toughness off the bench as some have suggested might help too. No, Mo T is far from perfect, but you have to ask yourself how easy it would be to find someone better to replace him who would also fit with the team.

------------------