1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mo Bamba gives us what we need...with upside.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, May 18, 2022.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

What is our cap situation? How close are we to luxury? I don’t think we are close to the luxury zone. We are over the soft cap but every team is. I would have to look at how much we have to spend for exceptions etc. Rockets probably will explore trades for exceptions or get a player via sign and trade on bird rights.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if Bamba is even upgrade over Wood.

His defense is too lackadaisical and his offense is inconsistent.

Think he is back up 5 unless he finds team that can unlock him.

And Silas can barely unlock his own front door.

clutchdabear, clos4life and Spooner like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

For the Mo Bamba truthers. :D

@Plowman

TimDuncanDonaut, jch1911 and Plowman like this.
  4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Time to move on him now.

Rudyc281, Fulgore and Milos like this.
  5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If the Rockets are interested in trying for the Play-in they will go after Bamba, if they don’t go after Bamba or another like vet, they are tanking another year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bamba does not move the needle that much imo…if we go after Bamba which I really hope we do..he can really grow with our young core..and we could still be one of the worse teams next year…but what he does give us is…

A true 5!…and Silas can still play his 5 out offense with Bamba
    Size!
    A very young center that can mesh and grow with KPJ JG and Banchero??
    A perfect fit for Sengun

Get it done stone!

And if I remember correctly the rockets have been after Bamba before.

burlesk and Plowman like this.
  8. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Bamba or bust! Hope whoever it is, it turns out be a better signing than our free agent center last year.

Plowman likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bamba cannot switch so Rockets need to be a zone defensive team.

Drop coverage if they play man.

But both zone and drop coverage defenses will get absolutely shredded in postseason.

Very unlikely Silas goes away from switch since he emphasized how much he's learning about defense from his in depth study of last postseason. :rolleyes:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Who cares if they reach playoffs after being the worst team in the L that's already a ridiculous improvement for one of the youngest teams in the NBA.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets are not reaching playoffs, just stop.

My post was not predicting that at all so enough with the gaslighting.

saleem likes this.
  12. Plowman

Supporting Member

We STILL need this guy. And, I'm not saying just for this year or so... Mo's a longterm piece...even with Jabari. He's signed to a sweet heart of a deal, and they need to move him.

13. Ancient Moabite

Bamboo was retained because he was one of their high lotto drafted babies and those types usually get retained rather the team needs them or, plus the NBA season is a grind so its good to have depth, but I see where you coming from

Plowman likes this.
  14. Plowman

Supporting Member

They do usually, but...the Magic dealt Vuc for Wendell Carter Jr, and he's really developing. Perfect fit with Banchero..along with Wagner... it's taken Mo awhile to come around, but he's starting to play some value back into that pick w/his unique skillset, which also just happens to fill a big need for us. I'm not saying Moby Grape and that contract would come cheap. We'd definitely be forking out some assets. 3 way deal with EG and one or two firsts going out?

Of course, there MIGHT be promises attached to that small deal, but I don't think so. Orlando will ikely want flexibility.

xiki likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

the fascination with a mediocre player like Mo Bamba will never cease

clos4life likes this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

Sometimes it comes down to making the cheaper financial commitment as well for the GM when it stockpiles bigs as well which was the case with Vuc, I think Bamba signed for lower deal than Vuc

If the Rockets can pull off the deal it wouldn't hurt seeing they need a quality legit 7ft big over the flux of guards they have at the moment, but if they get super lucky they may end up in the Wemby sweepstakes which once again puts them in a bind unless they play Sengun at the 4 and J Smith at the 3 which Bamba could get back up minutes behind Wemby

I wouldn't give up much assets as in picks, but the 3 way you mentioned with EG and possibly KJ (if he still wants out) with possibly that MIL pick would probably be the best case scenario for all involved

17. Plowman

Supporting Member

I'm assuming there's no way we sniff a high draft spot like that this year. Due to our record, and, if it comes down to it, the League.
    '

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I could see a lineup where Jabari is in at the C position, and Eason at the PF, KMJ at the 3 (or Tate) and KPJ and Green as our death lineup.

DD

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  19. Ancient Moabite

Indeed it will take some super luck or fluke injuries to key core member(s), but the NBA is a business and the business idea of a Wemby / Green / J Smith trio to sell the sports world is better than whatever a Jazz/Spurs trio has to offer, now Pistons / Magic have some decent young pieces but Texas is a more favorable and bigger audience market even though the league / media seems to hate the Rockets [Texas], they still have a punchers chance

based on last year record a 7 - 10 game improvement wouldn't necessarily take them out the sweepstakes, but anything over that puts them in the 5-10 draft range most likely, just my 2 cents

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Christopher
    Gordon
    Tate
    Eason
    Fernando

bully ball crew