1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MNF really biggest stage?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Marteen, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

Obviously, the Texans make their season debut on MNF tonight, but people are saying that they will be performing on the biggest stage. Am I the only one who thinks SNF is the biggest stage in the NFL? Of course, some might mean the biggest stage being playing around NY but technically it's Jersey, but I feel SNF is way bigger than MNF.

1) SNF has those awesome player intros that no other channel does.
    2) After all the games earlier in the day, everyone is at home in the nighttime watching the football game of the week.
    3) Some pretty bad teams play in MFN. Only the good teams play in SNF (Proof, Texans will make their franchise debut on SNF this Sunday).

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Monday Night Football has been around for years. Sunday night on NBC is fairly new compared to MNF. Most people look at Monday night as a tradition.

Sunday Night Football is still awesome, but Monday night is the biggest stage of the regular season.

3. SacTown

SacTown Member

No. SNF is not bigger than MNF. Why would you think that?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

SNF has indeed surpassed MNF recently.

I think we can all agree TNF is not in the running.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Technically, you're correct. But, come on...It's Monday Night Football in New York (Jersey). It's a very big stage. Next week's game has lost some luster with how poorly Green Bay is playing this season.

For me, I"m typically more likely to watch MNF than SNF when my team isn't playing. I've watched football most of Saturday and Sunday. By Sunday night, my wife and kids don't want to see it any more. I usually give in so that I can be left in peace for MNF.

6. Major

Major Member

Didn't he explain his reasoning in his post? :confused:

7. SacTown

SacTown Member

Only read the first sentence then dismissed the rest.

[​IMG]

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

MNF used to be biggest since it was on free tv on ABC. Now it is SNF since it is on free tv.

9. conquistador#11

because it's the only show on monday. i think everyone knows that though MNF shelled out the most straight cash, homie..it's nbc that gets the marquee match ups and the ability to flex schedule.

On monday nights, however, other player will be watching.

I wouldn't put it a past a frontrunning diva like carmela anthony to tweet her bff cp3, "Should I get a j. j watt jersey, bro?"

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

TNF is a joke.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

It's the biggest stage tonight, that's all that matters. Now, let's hope the Texans run out there and spank that arse.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've felt like SNF is bigger myself strictly because SNF is on a national network, whereas a person would need to have ESPN to watch MNF. I know most people have at least ESPN these days, but there has to still be a decent contingent of people that only have the HD tuners that can't watch MNF.

Anyone know the ratings difference these past couple seasons?

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

This. SNF surpassed MNF in 2006 when MNF went to ESPN and SNF moved to NBC.

14. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I don't have exact numbers, but these two links claim Sunday Night has higher ratings, which makes sense since people without cable/satellite can watch.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratin...-vs-competition-in-2010-870204/20110105nbc01/

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2012...-rated-show-ending-american-idols-streak.html

I still think MNF is the bigger stage, even if it has less viewers. MNF makes Mondays not suck so much.

15. Cannonball

Generally speaking, MNF is the most watched program on Monday nights. But SNF is the most watched program of the week, period. The last MNF game had its highest ratings of the year and got a 6.8 in the 18-49 demographic. The last Sunday night game (a week ago) got a 9.0 share.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Semi-off-topic: I'm probably in the minority but I hate MNF. Give me games on Sunday(SNF included) all day long!

17. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

since NBC took over SNF, it has clearly become the marquee football night event for the NFL. That is why the Texans, who was always considered a bad team, never played on SNF since NBC took over.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I would like to see the NFL incorporate WNF at some point.

19. Cannonball

Well, that's change next week when we play Green Bay.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

SNF silly people. It's the featured game of the week