1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MMA] Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Werdum

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FrancisFan3, Jun 26, 2010.

1. VanityHalfBlack

An upset indeed but unlike the douglas vs Tyson fight, Fedor didn't get K.O so it wasn't as dramatic and heartbreaking just upsetting and a bit of a let down...

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I would say so. Fedor might not be as big of a name as Tyson, but he's arguably the best MMA fighter in the game and maybe of all time. Also add in that Tyson was dealing with personal demons at the time while I don't think there was anything affecting Fedor out the cage. It may not be as big in terms of mainstream viewing but this would be like Tyson getting knocked out by Buster in the 1st round or Floyd losing to Juan Manuel Marquez or even Ali losing to Cleveland Wiliams in the Astrodome.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

This just shows you that anyone can win or lose in the ring in MMA which is why its so exciting.

4. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Anyone thinking that was a lucky submission is a moron. He almost had an armbar locked in and then did a beautiful roll to transition into a triangle/armbar. That's top level Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu right there. If you're on the ground with someone like Werdum, Maia, and other top level guys, they're eventually going to catch you. Fedor just made technical errors. After he escaped the first armbar he should have continued passing Werdum's guard, but instead he hopped right back in and his ground and pound created huge openings for Werdum to exploit. Fedor will be back, but I believe this loss was long overdue.

5. King1

King1 Member

In MMA these things happen. Before the fight everyone knew that Werdum's only chance was to somehow get the fight to the ground. He tricked Fedor into going to the mat with him and locked in the triangle. As soon as it hit the mat I knew Fedor would be in trouble if he didn't stand the fight back up. When he escaped the first attempt I was shocked he stayed on the ground.

6. sew

sew Member

Personally, Serra beating GSP was just as big an upset as this was.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, I think that was just as big if not bigger simply because he pounded GSP into a loss after catching him with a good shot. From the looks of it, Fedor just did something stupid and once caught, there was no way out.

I'm not surprised Fedor did that, though. If you watch his fights against Nogueira, he was in the same position and didn't really give a flip about raining blows from Nog's guard or worry about his BJJ. Nog repeatedly tried catching Fedor in the same triangle that Werdum did, but Fedor kept getting out of it and kept making Nog pay for trying. He did the same to Werdum once or twice, but that last attempt Werdum was able to lock in and it was over.

Werdum is an elite BJJ practitioner, but I still can't believe Fedor got submitted.

8. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

Cung Le is not a real MMA fighter...

Put him against Nick Diaz a real MMA fighter and Cung will Tap...

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Strikeforce would be insane not to figure out a way to make that happen relatively soon. I know they talked about the winner fighting for the championship, but a rematch would bring a HUGE audience and that's absolutely critical for Strikeforce.

11. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Good fighters do not about the SF HW championship. To some extent it applies to UFC HWs as well. Everyone knows Fedor is the prize money. Werdum got his shot first and capitalized last night. Overeem was visibly pissed.

Let's face it, Werdum will be the underdog in Werdum VS Reem 2 or Werdum VS Fedor 2. If he pulls off the first one all he gets is a belt with little value; but if he catches Fedor again then, welp.

Tough decision for Strikeforce though. If it's up to me, I would pit Fedor VS Overeem first and let the winner fight Werdum, who currently holds the HW linear title.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know anybody can win any fight, but I can easily see Overeem beating Fedor, especially in his new uh... vitamin-enhanced physique.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I know -but the announcers mentioned many times that the winner would compete for the HW championship that these good fighters do not care about.

14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

scott coker came out and said there is a strong chance of an immediate rematch between fedor and werdum.

i think fedor dominates in a rematch.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

yeah fedor said he thought werdum was hurt a bit more than he was. another thing is that fedor jumped into werdum's amazing guard too early. if these guys were a bit more sweaty and tired it would have been much harder for werdum to maintain that solid grip that he had. either way...bad game planning and underestimating your opponent = upset.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

I agree Fedor destroys him in a rematch. I didn't hear what Coker said about the fight because he kept singing all of his statement...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hZsGqOguxtI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hZsGqOguxtI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

17. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Member

#1 Nick Diaz is a freaking punk - I just read his wiki. He also skipped a drug test - I'm guessing that he's on roids as well.

#2 Before he could submit him, he'd have to take the former state wrestling champ down - good luck since he couldn't take KJ Noons down when they fought.

#3 I have no idea who would win, but Cung Le is a classy guy and always puts on an entertaining fight - make it happen, Coker!

18. Crudder

Crudder Member

Honestly, I think Fedor got tired of people considering him a god/idol. Not to say he lost on purpose at all (and mad props to Werdum for getting the submission)...but it seemed in the last couple of fights that the Fedor coming to fight was not the Fedor of the past.

And I don't think it has to do with age...with how religious he is, I just think that he didn't want people to think he was some God or something (which some hardcore MMA fans think).

In a rematch, I'd take Fedor 9/10 if not 10/10. But really, I don't think he cares all that much, outside of making sure he is able to support his family/friends/religion/etc through his fighting.

19. Mr. Brightside

Who knew 48 hours ago, that Werdum would be the greatest MMA fighter the world has ever seen.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

if by roids you mean weed then yes i agree