1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLS team to Houston - fansite?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by TexanJohn, Aug 2, 2005.

1. TexanJohn

TexanJohn Member

Since the MLS has all-but-decided that Houston will be the new home for the San Jose Earthquakes ('quakes to H-town), does anyone here want to get together and start a fansite like ClutchFans for futbol? Other fansites for Houston teams include:
    HoustonProFootball
    ClutchFans
    Astros Daily

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

That would be like starting a fan website for the Comets. No one really gives a ****.

3. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I care about soccer. A fansite would be cool.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

You'd get a lot more coverage for a futbol fan site if it was mainly spanish, because that is going to be the majority of the Houston team's fans... or make sure you have a good spanish translator.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I could see it being bilingulal, you know, like The Houston Rockets Official Site is in English/Chinese.

Alot of this has been covered in a previous thread, but I will reiterate- I am not a huge soccer fan, but the fans and stadium energy in soccer stadiums is second to none. I would definately go see some games.

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I doubt it will happen until the move is final, there's still quite a bit to be worked out.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I am 95% DC united fan first, but I'll check out any houston fansite and will be rooting for the Houston team hard. I may even need to buy MLS ticket. You gotta start somewhere so go for it.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Can't wait for 90 minutes of shin grabbing fun!

9. tigereye

tigereye Member

For anyone interested in backing Club America Houston right now, you can always do so at the Big Soccer Boards Houston forum. There are a ton of fans there already keeping an eye on the situation. Also check out the Quakes forum, which has a thread devoted to our fair city entitled "Houston Sucks.". There are plenty of other smack talk forums for promoting team rivalry's there too.

AEG (Quakes owner) will make a decision on the sale of the club by a self-mandated August 18 deadline. As you can expect, San Jose does have some investors trying to save the club. But according to many articles, Televisa (Club America owner) already has a deal in plce to buy the club and move them to Houston. By late August, Houston should have soccer.

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Soccer? why don't you just kick me in the nuts.

11. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I'm down. I love futbol.

12. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

i second that. I love soccer.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'm coming around on soccer. the last world cup really caught my interest.

and if you slap houston on it, i'll root for it. (except for womens' basketball, which i just can't get into.)

14. tXhiggs

tXhiggs Member

i am extremely interested and would love to be involved in a fansite...

...just as soon as i finish my master league in winning eleven 8 :)

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is great news...I can't wait for futbol...

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Are you ready for some FUTBOL!

I AM!!!!

Fansites are all about the community that develops around the site. Plus having insiders is a coup as well. That's why I love clutchfans.

17. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Has anybody heard about a possible venue and team name?
    I'm certainly interested in anything having to do with Houston and/or futbol.

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Do it. Then I can feel on that board like posters on this board that have no clue about the Rockets :D

19. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

There hsn't been anything said about the name yet, probably something involving Club America, Houston, Eagles, or some combination thereof.

The stadium talk now is they would play in the Astrodome for a while while working on their own venue. Possibly something with HISD involving Delmar field.

I would be willing to contribute some to the site if one was started.

20. tigereye

tigereye Member

Actually, its a little of both.

If the Delmar plan is a go, it would be completed in time for the 2007 season. expect oversized European style roofs on both sides of the pitch to shelter Houston fans from the sun (something they need to attract fans to games anyways). Also, the stadium's development would signal a total redevlopment of the entire Delmar campus, with new facilities for baseball, a rec field and a new multipurpose arena. HISD is also building there new Headquarters next to Delmar. As if this isnt enough, this Delmar complex redevelopment would be accompanied buy a multimillion-dollar renovation of the old Northwest Mall that is next door. The current proposal has the mall's food court being shifted closer to the street so that it can be bridged to the entrence of the new soccer stadium across the street. A street (dont know which one) currently seperates the two properties. It this happens, the NW side of town is changed forever.....for the better.

Another solution that is being studied is renovating the Astrodome for long term use. Hence the reason Televisa had Azteca Stadium engineers here studing the Dome for so long. As everyone knows, Club America does things on a grand scale, They are like the Yankees of Mexican soccer. No venue in this city is grander then the Astrodome due to its history. Couple this with the fact that Harris County is trying to find a profitable way to keep the Dome in use and you should clearly see the motive of why the Dome would be considered as a long term option.

One hurdle still remains for the long term MLS/Dome plan though....a company currently in charge of redeveloping the Astrodome into the grand indoor theme park/hotel most have heard about, has until August 18th to submit a "go" or "no go" as well as a plan for the redevelopment project if it is a "go." This date coincides with AEG's (Quakes current owner) self mandated deadline on whom to sell the Quakes to.....Club America to move to Houston, or local investors in San Jose trying to save the club from moving.

One way or another, August 18th will be a big day in Houston sports history. Either Houston lands a rather championship competitive soccer team to possibly play at the Dome long term or Houston watches as the Dome turns into an indoor theme park/hotel complex.

Which would you guys prefer to have?