1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MLS Earthquakes to Houston all but set....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigereye, Jul 10, 2005.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

I've been hinting at this 3-way marriage between the Earthquakes, Houston and Mexico's Club America for a year now....it finally seems like the wait is over.

Earthquakes seem set to leave San Jose for Houston
    By Robert Wagman
    SoccerTimes

(Friday, July 8, 2005) -- It now appears all but certain that the San Jose Earthquakes will play next season in Texas with a new owner and probably with a new name. This has been expected for quite some time, but what is different is the club will be playing in Houston and not in San Antonio as most in Major League Soccer believed would be the case.

The negotiations for the sale of the Earthquakes by the Anschutz Entertainment Group to Grupo Televisa, a Mexican media conglomerate are all but complete. Grupo Televisa, in addition to its far flung media empire also owns Club America in Mexico's top division and as such is probably the principal rival of Chivas, which put an MLS expansion team in the Los Angeles area this season.

The talks between AEG and Grupo Televisa have been going on for almost a year. AEG is the owner-operator of five MLS clubs -- the Los Angeles Galaxy, Chicago Fire, MetroStars, D.C. United and the Earthquakes, though a sale of United is nearly complete. For some time the organization has wanted to pare down its holding to three -- Los Angeles, Chicago and New York. AEG reportedly tried to find local ownership to keep the team in or near San Jose, but failed. So, in the last few months the talks with Emilio Azcarraga, the chief executive officer, president and principal stockholder of Grupo Televisa quickened.

According to a league source, the purchase of the Earthquakes by Televisa will not be a simple transaction. Rather, it will become part of a much larger and much more complicated new relationship between Philip Anschutz, Azcarraga and Grupo Televisa.

Talks are ongoing. For instance, Grupo Televisa owns the Spanish-language rights to the 2006 World Cup, while Anschutz, through his Soccer United Marketing (SUM) partnership, controls the English-language rights. The new relationship between the two could result in a unified broadcast plan for the World Cup including putting matches, in both languages, on pay-per-view.

Azcarraga has a relationship with concert presenter Clear Channel Entertainment and likely will buy the company outright. It is, interestingly, the main competition for AEG Live, Anschutz's concert production arm. The merger possibilities seem clear.

The final form of the ownership of the Earthquakes is still not clear. It might be with Grupo Televisa the team outright, but, according to a league source, more likely a complicated partnership in which others will be involved and in which AEG might retain an interest.

Reportedly, what has moved the negotiations along in recent days is a clarification of where the team will play next season.

In April, MLS had reached an oral agreement with the city of San Antonio and its outgoing mayor Ed Garza to put a team in the Alamodome as early as next season. Since MLS had said it would not expand again until at least the 2007 season, it appeared that either Kansas City or San Jose would be moving and league sources said it would likely be the Quakes.

A memorandum of understanding was signed between MLS and the San Antonio City Council, but then the agreement became a political football in the mayoral election campaign to choose who would succeed Garza. Phil Hardberger, the 70-year-old former business executive who ended up winning had based a part of his campaign on his opposition to the deal with MLS.

"Goodbye, that's what I would tell the MLS," Hardberger said when asked what he would say to MLS commissioner Don Garber. "Call us again in about 10 years. We'll see what the market looks like (and) whether you really can bring money into San Antonio."

Then MLS received a formal lease agreement from the city and the league says it contained both new and changed provisions from the memorandum of understanding. So Garber and MLS have backed away.

"Since being approached over a year ago by the Office of the Mayor for the city of San Antonio in an effort to bring MLS to San Antonio, MLS has negotiated in complete good faith," Garber said in a formal news release. "The product of those negotiations, which involved members of the city's staff and representatives of the City Council, was an agreement which the Cwty determined would provide significant benefits to the city and its citizens."

This left Houston as probably the only option that appealed to Grupo Televisa. However, the league has been stymied for some time trying to find a place to play. Reliant Stadium, where the National Football League's Houston Texans play, was looked at, but its ownership did not want to become MLS franchise owners at this time, nor did it want to become landlord. Other venues were looked at, including the University of Houston's Robertson Stadium, but have been dismissed for various other reasons. Now, according to local media reports, an inventive solution may have been found - playing in the all but abandoned Astrodome.

Since Reliant was built, the only thing the Astrodome has been used for, besides some high school events, is the two-week long Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, which draws over two million attendees each year to the February event. Otherwise, it sits empty, much as Washington, D.C.'s RFK Stadium did before MLS's D.C. United became its main tenant 10 years ago.

Televisa executives Javier Perez Teuffer and Juan de Villa Franca have recently visited Houston for talks with Mayor Bill White and Houston Sports Authority head Oliver Luck. In addition, operational personnel from Club America have toured the Astrodome.

There reportedly are a number of issues still to be solved, including what kind of playing surface would be used. The Astrodome has a permanent roof, and when baseball and football were played there, growing grass was a lost cause, leading to the advent of AstroTurf. A grass tray system is being studied.

In any event, the Astrodome would be a temporary solution until a soccer-specific facility could be built.

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Good, people in Houston love soccer.

3. tigereye

tigereye Member

I think they will love it even more inside the Astrodome, away from the summertime heat.

I'm glad to see the Dome will have a future in sports, what it was built for. As a traditionalist, I just had a hard time visualizing a mall, museum, or parking garage inside of the Dome. I personally think Club America is holding off on putting up money for a soccer stadium just to test the market. If they were to put up money for stadium, it would be to renovate the Astrodome, not to build a new outdoor high school stadium. Club America does things on a grand scale. Nothing is grander in this city then the Astrodome. If all goes well as expected, I expect the permanent home for this soccer team to be the Astrodome, renovated to seat 30,000 by removing both east and west end upper deck stands. So hopefully we've found a perfect fit for the future of the Dome.

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

That's awesome..definently gonna love going to watch a few games in the season...

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

great to hear!!! more things to offer to people here.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

That is sweet. Too bad reliant didn't host tho.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I heard this last week and have been meaning to post it. Good news for Houston, the Earthquakes have quite a bit of good young talent. don't think the Astrodome will be the permanent home, soccer shouldn't be played on an artificial surface. Unlike tigereye, I think we'll see a soccer only stadium in Houston within about five years, one much like the stadium in Columbus, the Home Depot Center, and the almost complete stadiums in Chicago and Dallas.

8. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im pretty sure we will se one soon as well. If they hope to bid for the Olympics again that is one thing they definently want to have.

9. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

it's great news and I will be one of the first in line to commit to season tickets. astrodome long term is a no-no, though. i don't want to see soccer on an artificial surface.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It will be great to have the MLS in Houston. I live in Austin, but will definitely come in for some games. I hope that they bring some local talent back home as well. As someone who grew up in the Houston soccer scene, it would be nice to see some of the guys I played with and against come home. I am friends with Rusty Pierce (currently with Real Salt Lake). I know he'd like to come back to Houston where his friends and family are.

The only thing that bothered me about that article was the possibility of an agreement to have World Cup games on PPV. That would be a disaster. Like the Olympics, the World Cup should remain free to watch (I know, it's on cable, but you get the point).

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sweet! Looks like I'll have a new team to follow. Go Houston!

12. wiws316

wiws316 Member

:D now only if theyll trade for carlos ruiz, ill be happy :D :D

13. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I think he'll be off to Europe pretty soon...

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

About bloody time- I never understood what MLS was doing by starting out with so many teams in northern states. Bad logistics. I would have started with a heavy concentration in border states, with their huge latino populations. Texas is ripe for more than one MLS team. I could even see four here eventually- Houston, SA, Austin, and Dallas.

I'm really glad to see this happening and will definately go to a few games. I'm not the biggest Soccer fan, but the crowd energy is second to no other sport in the world.

J

15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Astrodome had grass, but the translucent ceiling tiles made it impossible to catch pop ups. I don't think you would have the same problem with a soccer ball.

16. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Maybe they can work a deal with Bud Adams and call the team The Oilers. :D

Looks like the 610 jocks are going to have to brush up on their soccer lingo. I know that Rich Lord bashes soccer a lot...

17. PhiSlammaJamma

You guys seen Shaolin soccer (movie). That is one of the funniest sports movies I've seen in a long time. It is totally umpredicatble. Hilarious.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah, but my understanding is that, even with the translucent ceiling, grass never grew very well in there.

19. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That was back in the 60's when the Dome had the problems growing grass. I'm pretty sure that the science of growing plants has progressed enough to grow grass indoor. I have a plant here at work that has lived over a year with no natural sunlight. Hell, if a teenager can grow some weed in his bedroom closet, I don't see the problem with growing grass in the Astrodome.

The stuff at Reliant isn't "real" grass, is it? I thought it was made from recycled tires...

20. PhiSlammaJamma

It is amazing to think we didn't have genetic engineering or enhancement in the 60's. amazing how far we come with one little discovery. humans up next. Humans engineered to run on grass and kick a soccer ball.